THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SmokinFisherman

Knows what a fatty is.
Finally got everything I need (almost)...
Horizon convection plate
Welded two halves of fire box together and welded to cook chamber
Welded latches to cook chamber
90* elbow to lower stack (not permanent)
Lava lock gaskets on firebox and cook chamber
10x10x10 fire basket (on order from horizon)
iGrill2 (2 meat probes & 2 ambient probes)
Backlit (blue) Thermopen

Seasoned today for 4 hours @ 275-300
First cook tomorrow
For some reason I can't attach more than one pic right now and I need to remedy this so I can show off my handy work lol

Attachments

Looks good - I like those gaskets!

How even were the temps? I noticed the convection plate does not go all the way across?

I made my own and it made a big difference. Curious how that one works compared to this

View attachment 111567

You are gonna have a whole bunch of fun with that!

Last edited:
Looks good - I like those gaskets!

How even were the temps? I noticed the convection plate does not go all the way across?

I made my own and it made a big difference. Curious how that one works compared to this

View attachment 111567

You are gonna have a whole bunch of fun with that!

At the most the temp difference was 22* the closest I got was a 13* difference. So I would say that's pretty good?!

Run them further across and you will see even closer temps. I ran mine,leaving about 6" at the far end from the fire box and can keep within 10*. Usually less. Have to play with the spacing a bit,but will find it with some experimenting. I used tuning plates.

With my home made, I actually moved the hot side from the fire box side to the exhaust side. I put a few pieces of expanded metal over the largest holes and I can get it within 5°. If I want a hot side, I just take them out.

I stumbled on it by trial and error, but it works?

The tuning plates look like a lot less work and cost

I like all you guys mods. I just ordered a convection plate from smokermods.com and all the gasket material to seal one of these up. ordered one from lowe's and waiting for it to come in. I will need to look them over at the store for quality issues before I take it home. I like the idea of welding everything together. :thumb:

Back