Moberg or Workhorse

P

pharp

I have been wanting an offset for a while. Capacity is not a primary concern, so I am wanting something I can cook on at home and turn out great food. I think I have narrowed it down to two. The Moberg Backyard and the Workhorse 1975T.

Here are the specs that Mr. Moberg sent me for the Backyard and a picture.
Specs for our Moberg Smokers Backyard model:

50” x 24” backyard smoker
Insulated firebox
High temperature paint
Stainless shelf
1 door
1 Tel-Tru temperature gauge
Upper slide out
Full middle cooking grate
Under-storage
Large smokestack
Fully welded doors
5” casters
Drain

fGJrf2Zl.jpg

The Workhorse 1975T
Cooking Surface: 2316 Sq Inches with Top Pull-out Rack and Cowboy Grill

47"x23.25" Grate in Main Chamber

40.5"x15" Optional Top Rack

https://www.workhorsepits.com/product-page/1975t

That price Id get a Jambo backyard cheaper than that. You may really want to consider this.

Backyard - $2,650.00

BACKYARD price is $2,650.00 The Backyard model has been redesigned with a new 5" stack, upgraded grates, and an insulated firebox with 3/8" rear door. There are no upgrades for this model at this time.

1eb5a6_9f0d8492e45b4794980751f5ffe96208.jpg

Or Aaron Franklin has a new pit coming out that is $3000

attachment.php

That price Id get a Jambo backyard cheaper than that. You may really want to consider this.

Backyard - $2,650.00

BACKYARD price is $2,650.00 The Backyard model has been redesigned with a new 5" stack, upgraded grates, and an insulated firebox with 3/8" rear door. There are no upgrades for this model at this time.

1eb5a6_9f0d8492e45b4794980751f5ffe96208.jpg

Or Aaron Franklin has a new pit coming out that is $3000

attachment.php

The Jambo was the other one in my top 3. I have cooked on them a couple of times and they are great smokers.

Have you considered Shirley and Lone Star Grillz? You can get a LOT of smoker for that kind of money from both.

Both are nice. Might I suggest Bison Smokers out of Forney? 3/8 Steel has the Moberg style stack, but the Workhouse style round firebox. $2,500.

Subscribed...

The Workhorse 1975 is at the top of my list. I've never seen one in person nor have I cooked on one, but a friend said they draft incredibly well and have very even temps across the grates. Interested to see if anyone has experience using one.

I have a 1975 and have nothing but praise for it. You cannot find a better smoker at that price point. I’m sure the Moberg is awesome as well but I just can’t believe how impressed I am with the 1975. By the way, the 1975T is trailer mounted. Not sure if you realized that or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ve heard good things about Moberg but that’s a big difference in price given how nice the 1975 looks. No experience but I’d be leaning to the 1975

1975 is a lot of cooker for the money imo. I almost ordered one the other day but the 5 month lead time gave me pause. I thought they were under 90’days??? They just be selling quite a few of them. Good looking cooker imo

I have a 1975 and have nothing but praise for it. You cannot find a better smoker at that price point. I’m sure the Moberg is awesome as well but I just can’t believe how impressed I am with the 1975. By the way, the 1975T is trailer mounted. Not sure if you realized that or not.

For sure. I definitely would like having it on a trailer. I could get the 1975T and the Moberg (not on a trailer) for about the same price. I am leaning toward the 1975T just because I would like having it on a trailer.

With what I paid for my Shirley and another ~$1100 for the trailer, that's the way I would go since it has so much more cook capacity. The reason being, as a trailer, I'll cook bigger offsite than I will in my own yard.

Family gatherings and similar for a holiday or family milestone will have a lot more people to feed then a small backyard family group smoke. That's part of where I'm at with my Evie Mae being a classic central Texas 'pipe' smoker which is plenty big enough for just myself. The Shirley will work for just myself too but, has a ton more capacity being a cabinet model.

The other thing to consider when you get in the ~$4K range of a Moberg patio model are the 250 Gallon versions on skids from Primitive Pits, Austin Smokeworks, Millscale, Moberg, and others. About a year ago I got quotes on skids from ~$5K to ~$7.5K depending on who and options with various lead times from reasonable to way too far away. Today without too much investigation, I'd likely option for a Primitive Pits 250-Gallon model on a trailer which should be in the $6~$6.5 for a basic trailer.

Of course, we have wandered into a lot more expense than a Workhorse 1975 non-trailer model which would be an awesome backyard pit for most people. The Shirley 24x36 Patios are another stellar option to further complicate the decision process. I am a bit biased for reverse flow for smaller pits though so I'm not the most unbiased person when it comes to direct flow options.

My buddy Doug just got his Franklin pit. He says it cooks awesome based on his first cook. But I am thrilled to have my Shirley 24x36 patio model. Of course I wouldn't mind having a Franklin pit too. :thumb:

Lots of good info. I actually want a smaller pit and I want direct flow. Leaning toward the 1975T.

Back