THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our event in Sayville is a fundraiser for a charity that fights cancer. We won't be taking any assistance from tobacco companies but it would be funny to take the money and hand it right over to the charity or to set up a booth for an anti-smoking group.

Eric

Jim - I hope everybody says yes I'll take 2. That's $2,000 for the organizers to help with costs or go to the charity and $2,000 additional prize money. Heck I hope every contests asks for 2 and see how many trailers they have.

Ford,

They haven't contacted me yet for the Salem contest, but it'll be interesting to see how many contests take advantage of this 'opportunity'.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim

KCBS does not endorse tobacco organizers can do what they want, like not charge non KCBS teams an additional $25 on entry fees.

KCBS may not directly endorse tobacco organizers, but MMA is certainly using KCBS to find contests for tobacco sponsors.

"My name is Ryan Altizer, and I am with MMA Creative (the marketing agency for KCBS)."

If this isn't endorsed by KCBS, then KCBS should have a serious discussion with MMA about using their database, not to mention their name, in contacting prospects for other companies.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim

KCBS may not directly endorse tobacco organizers, but MMA is certainly using KCBS to find contests for tobacco sponsors.

"My name is Ryan Altizer, and I am with MMA Creative (the marketing agency for KCBS)."

If this isn't endorsed by KCBS, then KCBS should have a serious discussion with MMA about using their database, not to mention their name, in contacting prospects for other companies.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim

I totally agree. Who is MMA marketing here KCBS or the Tobacco companies. Strange.

Steve - by obtaining sponsors they are increasing the funds available for cooks and organizers and benefiting the KCBS. At least I assume that's the logic. Now what is interesting is do they get revenue from the KCBS if they get these "sponsors" onboard and are they getting a fee from the Sponsors? Sort of double dipping?

My guess is they get a percentage of sponsorship... Otherwise, why would they be doing it?

I just don't agree that we as an organization, said we didn't want to be associated with tobacco. That MMA is now making KCBS be associated with emails like that going out? There is no reason that they should have that line in there about them respresenting KCBS. As that just fools orgainzers into thinking that KCBS backs it...

So I will re-classify my statement and say I guarantee they are getting a piece of the cut....

Unless I have missed it, I have yet to hear how the contests are going to benefit from these sponsors. Some have suggested that it could mean an increase in money for prizes...is that a wish or is that something KCBS has said they will do?

In the sanctioning paperwork that an organizer has to turn-in, KCBS states that each contest MUST provide space for KCBS or national sponsors, but doesn't say they're going to pitch in to help with the prize money.

"KCBS right to merchandise and promote sponsors:
KCBS reserves the right to display, promote and sell, KCBS products and services and that of its national sponsors at KCBS sanctioned contests. While it is impossible for KCBS to be at every contest, many contests will be asked to provide space for KCBS to display, promote and sell KCBS product and services and that of its national sponsors. KCBS will not be able to take its marketing promotion to every contest, and it is the exclusive right of KCBS to determine the location of such marketing activities. Organizer agrees to provide a space in a highly accessible area, either in the cook area or the near the judging area, where KCBS may place its official merchandizing trailer and promote, display and sell KCBS products and that of its national sponsors. The Organizer agrees to provide free of charge a space up to 40' x 30' for this purpose.

It is impossible for KCBS to market at nearly 300 contests per year. KCBS reserves the exclusive right to determine the location of KCBS marketing activities. KCBS and its sponsors/partners will be sensitive to any local sponsorship that an event already has secured, and will strive not to create any conflict or situation that jeopardizes that local sponsorship."

Carpe 'Que,
Jim

Unless I have missed it, I have yet to hear how the contests are going to benefit from these sponsors. Some have suggested that it could mean an increase in money for prizes...is that a wish or is that something KCBS has said they will do?

In the sanctioning paperwork that an organizer has to turn-in, KCBS states that each contest MUST provide space for KCBS or national sponsors, but doesn't say they're going to pitch in to help with the prize money.

"KCBS right to merchandise and promote sponsors:
KCBS reserves the right to display, promote and sell, KCBS products and services and that of its national sponsors at KCBS sanctioned contests. While it is impossible for KCBS to be at every contest, many contests will be asked to provide space for KCBS to display, promote and sell KCBS product and services and that of its national sponsors. KCBS will not be able to take its marketing promotion to every contest, and it is the exclusive right of KCBS to determine the location of such marketing activities. Organizer agrees to provide a space in a highly accessible area, either in the cook area or the near the judging area, where KCBS may place its official merchandizing trailer and promote, display and sell KCBS products and that of its national sponsors. The Organizer agrees to provide free of charge a space up to 40' x 30' for this purpose.

It is impossible for KCBS to market at nearly 300 contests per year. KCBS reserves the exclusive right to determine the location of KCBS marketing activities. KCBS and its sponsors/partners will be sensitive to any local sponsorship that an event already has secured, and will strive not to create any conflict or situation that jeopardizes that local sponsorship."

Carpe 'Que,
Jim
I think this just refers to the new trailer also called the travelling roadshow. It promotes KCBS and the 4 Sponsors that chipped in to get it going. The contest and organizers get nothing from this. But the tobacco sponsors that are not a KCBS National Sponsor are offering to pay for space. We need to think of this as 2 very different activities with 2 different sets of benefits.

I have the Great American Barbeque Tour presented by KCBS
coming to Stagecoach
It will be fun and I will use the stage, PA for activities

So much for not going after tobacco sponsors...one of the contest organizers in Illinois just received the following email:

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 9:35 AM
Subject: Sponsor Question

My name is Ryan Altizer, and I am with MMA Creative (the marketing agency for KCBS).

We have been approached by multiple companies that sample smokeless tobacco about possibly being sponsors of your event. These companies would bring in trailers and ask those over the age of 18 if they are smokers. If they are, they are invited to come into the trailer and sample the tobacco product. There would be no open-air sampling and no one who is under 18 or does not smoke would be invited to sample.

These companies are willing to pay $2,000 for a 20x40 space at your event if you are interested.

If you are indeed interested, please let me know ASAP. And if you are interested in possibly having two of them (giving you $4,000 for two 20x40 spaces), please let me know that as well.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Ryan Altizer

Ryan AltizerSr. Account Executive615.242.8001
MMA Creative, Inc.705 North Dixie Ave 209 10th Ave South, Suite 307
Cookeville, TN 38501 Nashville, TN 37203

http://www.mmacreative.com

Well, I sent this email to someone who might be interested. Tobacco, beer, high fat food, TN burbon, whatever - pick a vice (or 2, or none) and enjoy it.

Question For Interveiw

Eric,

Could you please ask the following question ?

Does MMA see a conflict of interest in their pursuit of signing individual KCBS ccoks, with representing the KCBS ? Lately they have been aggressively trying to manage chefs, claiming they can market them. Does Mike see any possibilty that it comprimises MMA's dedication to KCBS, and if not, why ?

Thanks

Eric Johnson

Back