THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I believe they need a starting point to be able to measure that. As KCBS had shown promising growth prior to MMA coming on board. Facts can go a long way. But as long as we don't get smoke and mirrors.

Don't get me wrong, I will be the biggest fan going out there for MMA. I want to see results. I don't think that is asking too much.

I believe they need a starting point to be able to measure that. As KCBS had shown promising growth prior to MMA coming on board. Facts can go a long way. But as long as we don't get smoke and mirrors.

Don't get me wrong, I will be the biggest fan going out there for MMA. I want to see results. I don't think that is asking too much.

I also think that KCBS needed/needs some help in sustaining that growth. The logo & Web site changes were examples of some good moves. The "ask" to MMA could have been more about being in a position to sustain & manage growth rather than growth acceleration itself. It happens in small to mid range businesses all of the time where they get so large and don't have the infrastructure to sustain themselves.

I'm just saying COULD. Obviously, I wasn't there.

I’m setting up an interview with Mike McCloud of MMA for the Home of BBQ website. I would appreciate your feedback on what questions you would like to see answered.

Old Kingsford or New?
Lump or Charcoal?
Logs or Chunks?
Cherry or Apple?
Hickory or Mesquite?
Pellet Pooper or Stick Burner?
Spares or Baby Backs?
Flats or Wholes?
Breasts or Thighs? :wink:
Beans or No Beans?
Boxers or Briefs?

I also think that KCBS needed/needs some help in sustaining that growth. The logo & Web site changes were examples of some good moves. The "ask" to MMA could have been more about being in a position to sustain & manage growth rather than growth acceleration itself. It happens in small to mid range businesses all of the time where they get so large and don't have the infrastructure to sustain themselves.

I'm just saying COULD. Obviously, I wasn't there.

I agree. While I respect everything that has gone on with the KCBS and where it has come. Sometimes to put a company, et al. over the top, you need to have new leadership. That doesn't mean to get rid of what got us there, just a new vision in leadership.

Scottie

I agree. While I respect everything that has gone on with the KCBS and where it has come. Sometimes to put a company, et al. over the top, you need to have new leadership. That doesn't mean to get rid of what got us there, just a new vision in leadership.

Scottie

With new leadership, core values and mission need to be visited. Are we the same organization? What core values carry forward? Which ones can't? Those seem to be missing pieces that the membership would like to understand.

Going back to the banquet, it was a stark contrast in message between Tony (it's about fun) to Mike (we want big sponsors/checks). Is there one core value here or multiples? How are they balanced? These are BOD questions and domains, but it would be good to know what MMA has been told.

While not the same type of interview obviously, last year I went through a round with my companies management for a huge increase in responsibility. Sitting on the team and leading a group are completely different, not unlike this, though different in scope.
Questions I might ask in addition to my earlier post:
What is your hundred day plan?
What do you think is holding back the KCBS?
What will you do to change these elements?
What can the BOD do to maintain the fun in the contests?
They say bring in bigger sponsors? How will they court bigger sponsors without compromising some of the core values of the KCBS? - This would be a big one for me. I think major institutions are selling out for the promise of money. When my highschool stadium is renamed for a local business I consider that a sellout. I'm sure that no one will argue with the opportunity to make more money. But if we take it away from the local groups do we in some way give up our tie to the community and the involvement. Especially if someone is making money while depending on volunteers.

Personally I enjoy cooking for the satisfaction of the people that eat. If people don't enjoy it then I lose some of the enjoyment. I think competition is as much about the fun of seeing friends, competing with whatever method, recipe, or other change you made from the previous comp. I'm not an expert on that so for whatever reason you guys do it as much as you do is your reason. I haven't heard anyone say they got rich from competitions. Festivals? Maybe.

What can the BOD do to maintain the fun in the contests?
They say bring in bigger sponsors? How will they court bigger sponsors without compromising some of the core values of the KCBS? - This would be a big one for me. I think major institutions are selling out for the promise of money. When my highschool stadium is renamed for a local business I consider that a sellout. I'm sure that no one will argue with the opportunity to make more money. But if we take it away from the local groups do we in some way give up our tie to the community and the involvement. Especially if someone is making money while depending on volunteers.........

Good Point. Not sure what core "values" KCBS would compromise, but there was a discussion a while back about having a tobacco company sponsor many of the contest - almost like a national sponsor. They have very deep pockets with limited advertising venues. Much larger prize pool vs having a Marlboro or Winston booth at the comp. Pick your poison. No one seems to have an issue with beer sponsors.

I would ask the question - are they looking at a major sponsor like a tobacco company to help underwrite some of the comps?

Tobacco companies have been taken off the table by the BOD, unless there is a change KCBS will not have tobacco companies as a sponsor.

I think its pretty humerous from an organization that is largely fueled by whiskey and budweiser
nancee

Tobacco companies have been taken off the table by the BOD, unless there is a change KCBS will not have tobacco companies as a sponsor.

What am I missing? What needs to be underwritten? I've put on a few contests and don't know where KCBS has spent anything on them...the contests pay all of their own expenses.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim
Jim, What I meant was help defer or cover some of the KCBS sponsor charges and travel expenses for reps. This is hundreds of dollars in many cases. They could also add prize money to the pool. As an organizer, you know how important sponsorship money is to cover cost and support the prize money. Entry fees don't cover all of the cost. That is what I meant by underwriting an event. Sorry for any confusion.

Based on previous responses, tobacco is out, but, I guess we still have beer and whiskey as sponsors :confused:

Jim, What I meant was help defer or cover some of the KCBS sponsor charges and travel expenses for reps. This is hundreds of dollars in many cases. They could also add prize money to the pool. As an organizer, you know how important sponsorship money is to cover cost and support the prize money. Entry fees don't cover all of the cost. That is what I meant by underwriting an event. Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks Bill.

Man, wouldn't that be awesome if KCBS came to me, as a contest organizer, and said, "Here's more money to add to your prize pool." What a surprise that would be!! :eek:

Or for them to say, "Don't worry about the $1,000+ dollars we're charging for sanctioning, Rep Fees and Expenses...we've got you covered." I would hardly know what to say. :mrgreen:

We have amazing sponsors but would always welcome more! :-D

Carpe 'Que,
Jim

I think its pretty humerous from an organization that is largely fueled by whiskey and budweiser
nancee

And a pretty large percentage of the cooks, judges, and visitors smoke...

I would certainly say that the percentage of smokers if higher among the BBQ crowd than it is in the general population..

So much for not going after tobacco sponsors...one of the contest organizers in Illinois just received the following email:

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 9:35 AM
Subject: Sponsor Question

My name is Ryan Altizer, and I am with MMA Creative (the marketing agency for KCBS).

We have been approached by multiple companies that sample smokeless tobacco about possibly being sponsors of your event. These companies would bring in trailers and ask those over the age of 18 if they are smokers. If they are, they are invited to come into the trailer and sample the tobacco product. There would be no open-air sampling and no one who is under 18 or does not smoke would be invited to sample.

These companies are willing to pay $2,000 for a 20x40 space at your event if you are interested.

If you are indeed interested, please let me know ASAP. And if you are interested in possibly having two of them (giving you $4,000 for two 20x40 spaces), please let me know that as well.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Ryan Altizer

Ryan AltizerSr. Account Executive
MMA Creative, Inc.
705 North Dixie Ave 209 10th Ave South, Suite 307
Cookeville, TN 38501 Nashville, TN 37203

http://www.mmacreative.com

So much for not going after tobacco sponsors...one of the contest organizers in Illinois just received the following email:

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2008 9:35 AM
Subject: Sponsor Question

My name is Ryan Altizer, and I am with MMA Creative (the marketing agency for KCBS).

We have been approached by multiple companies that sample smokeless tobacco about possibly being sponsors of your event. These companies would bring in trailers and ask those over the age of 18 if they are smokers. If they are, they are invited to come into the trailer and sample the tobacco product. There would be no open-air sampling and no one who is under 18 or does not smoke would be invited to sample.

These companies are willing to pay $2,000 for a 20x40 space at your event if you are interested.

If you are indeed interested, please let me know ASAP. And if you are interested in possibly having two of them (giving you $4,000 for two 20x40 spaces), please let me know that as well.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Ryan Altizer

Ryan AltizerSr. Account Executive615.242.8001
MMA Creative, Inc.705 North Dixie Ave 209 10th Ave South, Suite 307
Cookeville, TN 38501 Nashville, TN 37203

http://www.mmacreative.com

They were at the Royal, or I assume it was the same folks.

Jim - I hope everybody says yes I'll take 2. That's $2,000 for the organizers to help with costs or go to the charity and $2,000 additional prize money. Heck I hope every contests asks for 2 and see how many trailers they have.

Back