THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stan5677

Full Fledged Farker
I am still on the fence on getting an offset i can make room for one if I wanted. When it comes to burning splits and using a stronger wood like hickory for a short cook like ribs can you run hickory all through the cook or can should you mix in something like cherry or a lighter wood also how do you mix in the wood?

I ran my stick burner on 100% hickory plenty of times. I ran a clean fire and it wasn't even close to overly smoked. I'd work in a split of cherry every so often, seemed to have a nice effect on the color. I may have a simple palette but I never could tell much of a difference between the woods. Perhaps if I sat down and ate the same meat cooked over different wood on the same type of cooker ran by the same pitmaster I could tell I difference, I just know food cooked with wood fires tastes good.

Last edited:
90% of the time wood flavor is highly exaggerated and only a few species have a different (stronger) flavor.

Oak with a few hickory thrown in for me. I also throw cherry into the fire when doing ribs or any pork. Oak and hickory are plentiful here in va so it’s what I use and burn it clean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When we smoke at my nephew's place in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan we use whatever wood is dead. It makes for some interesting smoke flavors but everyone seems to enjoy it......I compare it to terroir and wine.

I use a mixture of pecan, apple and cherry in different combinations. Pretty much what I have on hand. I use hickory with a mix of apple or cherry when I do bacon, sausage or jerky.

Until I get into Mesquite, it is difficult, if not impossible for me to tell a taste difference in the usual smoking woods. Be they nut woods, or fruit woods.

I have used offsets in the past. I switched to pellet for the set and forget, plus my family and friends seem to like a light smoke so thats why i switched. That said, i wouldnt be too concerned about what wood you mix. If your burning clean, you reall wont notice much flavor change. I would decide what flavor wood you like most and use that to drop in when you want to add more smoke after your burning clean.

Back