THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm thinking of building one for tailgating. Probably will go with a gold model, but have concerns with airflow coming from above the grate level.

I built mind about 3 months ago and I use it for about 75% of all of my Q's. There is just 2 of us, but I now that it will work good for as many as a family of 4.

I used the SJ Silver, but I use on RO Lump so I don't get all of that ash build up and I have had no problems. I can cook 275* to 350* for hours.

IMG_2588.jpg

IMG_2589.jpg
IMG_2600.jpg

Best Smoker for the money if it cost 3 times what it cost to make.

It's the only smoker I have room for. Went from an ECB and I've been thrilled. I've done 2 8-9lb butts at a time, a 15lb turkey, 2 racks of spares, 2 chickens....Capacity hasn't been a problem for up to 6 people.

I relied on some of caseydog and blu dawgs knowledge to build my mini and I just pulled some ribs off of her using precious little fuel:

3B0B2F5B-8533-4C00-A780-EEC76BF0FF66-1050-0000007885DA0D6B.jpg

CA048AEB-59F0-4101-9917-B1688A85E42B-1715-000000BBC1E61B0E.jpg

DAD8D498-AFC9-45A9-9722-6B8CD9899E17-1715-000000BBD2E1B8B6.jpg

5C86DBF0-4261-4766-964A-C0B5E3C61C63-1715-000000BBE129946C.jpg

FD819573-162A-49AE-BC98-42312DA21E65-1715-000000BBEC0C9C6A.jpg

Does anybody have a suggestion for cutting out the bottom of the pot for somebody who doesn't have a jigsaw?

I have read where people used metal cutting shears. I just drilled holes in the bottom of mine and I have been satisfied so far. I just use a trivet with a metal pie pan in mine for most things. When I want higher heat, I light more coals initially and then just place the tamale steamer plate in place and put a disposable pie pan on it. This allows me to get temps up where I want them for chicken. Downside is that I can only use the top grate when I do it which works perfect for thighs.

IMAG0929_zps2e0fcddb.jpg

IMAG0931_zps92f449ef.jpg

I'm thinking of building one for tailgating. Probably will go with a gold model, but have concerns with airflow coming from above the grate level.

It really works just fine. The hot coals will draw air from the bottom or the sides. The side vents are low enough to work just fine.

CD

Does anybody have a suggestion for cutting out the bottom of the pot for somebody who doesn't have a jigsaw?

You can cut the bottom out, or drill a bunch of holes in the bottom. Like benniesdad, I drilled a bunch of half-inch holes in the bottom of my tamale pot, and it works great. it actually works as a diffuser.

I drew concentric circles on the bottom of my tamale pot, and drilled hole along those line. Crude, but effective.

CD

You can cut the bottom out, or drill a bunch of holes in the bottom. Like benniesdad, I drilled a bunch of half-inch holes in the bottom of my tamale pot, and it works great. it actually works as a diffuser.

I drew concentric circles on the bottom of my tamale pot, and drilled hole along those line. Crude, but effective.

CD

So you have no problems with airflow with drilled holes rather than cutting out the bottom?

I was thinking about using a clay flower pot saucer as a diffuser but am not sure if it would block too many holes. Maybe I could put a spacer between the saucer and drilled holes so it doesn't block them?

Add my vote for this awesome little smoker. I use mine more than my larger smokers. I did my first brisket on the mini.

Perfect size for an 8 lb chicken

DSC_5993-PP.JPG

Or a couple smaller ones spatchcocked

DSC_5965-PP.JPG

Bunch of moinks

DSC_6088-PP.JPG

Brisket

DSC_5223-PP.JPG

ABTs

DSC_4117-PP.JPG

Tongue

DSC_3659-PP.JPG

You cannot go wrong with a mini-WSM!

i made mine for $17. i have another pot that i got for $10. and another one went to my older son. course i already had the sj's.

A lot of people use the steamer plate as a template to drill the holes in the bottom. I have the major parts and am waiting to start it any day now.

Advantage to drilling the holes instead of cutting the bottom out: You can always decide later to cut the bottom out, but once its out, you can't switch to the holes.

Last edited:
Definitely worth while - I took the risk of shipping a tamale pot to the UK (nothing like it here) and it fits and works like a dream - and even adding international shipping makes it a cheaper option than a lot of the prices we pay for BBQ kit here.

Mine gets used when I don't want to fire up the 22" WSM or alongside it if I'm doing a long cook - the starters etc can have thier own cooker beside the big brother.

IMG_7765.jpg

I'll get the whole family out if the weather's good!

IMG_7764.jpg

So you have no problems with airflow with drilled holes rather than cutting out the bottom?

I was thinking about using a clay flower pot saucer as a diffuser but am not sure if it would block too many holes. Maybe I could put a spacer between the saucer and drilled holes so it doesn't block them?

I have not used a clay saucer in mine but understand from what others have posted that it really sucks up a lot of heat, too much for most of them. For that reason I opted to go with a metal pan instead.

I can't give you a side by side comparison of how much difference drilling holes vs. cutting out the bottom gives in temps. Main advantage of cutting out the bottom is that it gives you more room for charcoal for longer cooks. With my SJ Gold without a charcoal basket, I have to pay attention when lighting it with MM that I allow enough room. Sometimes I have to repostiion the coals to ensure I can get the pot to seal properly with the bottom. That would not be as big of an issue if I had the bottom cut out.

My mini loves to run at 225-250 and is stable as a rock for hours once I get it dialed in. The biggest challenge I have had is getting high heat temps to stay as stable. I have found if I initially light more charcoal (an entire mini Weber chimney's worth of KBB) and put it on top of a mini chimney of unlit, it will sustain temps in the 275-300 range depending upon the day Want to try it with Kingsford Competition and see if I can get them up to the 325 range. I have not used lump in it but I probably will give that a try also.

I cut the bottom of the pot out using a dremel. I then used the steamer insert as the difuser. If I want to run my temps between 225-235 for overnight cooks (so I dont have to wake up at 5-6am to do a hot and fast run) I use a terracotta plate as a heat sink and place my bottom grate ontop of it. If i want to run hot and fast, I take the terracotta plate out so it gets up to temps faster.

I love my mini wsm. I cut the bottom out with tin snips. It was very easy to cut. I have the ismusa tamales pot. I got the first one at target and tried it in the parking pot and it didn't fit. I got the one that fits at Wal-Mart.

I use a terra cotta plate in the bottom. I have a 12in that seems to work best in the hot summer. I used it recently when it was cold and couldn't get it up to temp. I took out the saucer and put in a 8in saucer and it worked great.

I also have 3 sets of bolts top holds up racks so I can fit lots of thinner foods like wings or pork chops. I've had 12 large bone it chops on it.

Long story short. Everyone should have a mini. It's awesome if you don't need huge quantities. I use it tailgating and it is a big hit!

sent from my phone

I have not used a clay saucer in mine but understand from what others have posted that it really sucks up a lot of heat, too much for most of them. For that reason I opted to go with a metal pan instead.

I read on another forum that its the 12" and 14" ones that inhibit higher temps, and that if you use the 10" terra cotta clay saucer it has no problem getting up to temps.

Back