THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BuckSnort

Knows what a fatty is.
I took a nice looking tri-tip to a buddy's house and way over cooked it...I cook alot of tri tips and have only over cooked a couple...This one was bad...dry and chewy...:mad2: I never use a thermometer with TT's I just go by feel , this one felt perfect boy was I wrong ..At least the sweet corn I BBQ'd came out good...Oh well next time...Maybe it's time I bought one of them fancy wireless thermo units...

Don't feel bad, I don't have much luck with tri-tips either. Sometimes I blame it on the quality of the beef and sometimes I blame it on my wife for making me overcook it. She wont stand for any pink or juices. We call her style "hockey-pucked."

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting one of those Maverick wireless ones....Are they still the best bang for the buck?

The Mavericks are nice, I have had good luck with mine. You might also consider a nice instant read therm like a Thermapen, really nice.

Go with a Thermapen...... I am a "Left Coaster" as well..... Tri-Tip is one of the best cuts of Beef for grilling/smoking & IMO is totally under rated for grilling/smoking (as well as being unavailable in many areas) .... I personally trust my eyes for doneness on a Tri & am rarely not close.... But a Thermapen takes any guessing out of it.....

Back