Maverick Probes in Stock

I have had pretty good luck with my probes, and spend extra time trying to be careful with them and keep the moisture out.

Is it just me, or should the Mfg. of these probes spend some money on R & D and come up with a more robust and water resistant probe? Or perhaps they make most of their money on the probes, and not the units themselves? Sort of like the ink-jet printers thing, give the printers away, and make their money on the ink to operate them. Seems like 99% of the complaints of their system stems from the probes. Just saying!

Blessings, :pray:
Omar
I think you could be on to something. Perhaps Maverick is really in the probe business and not in the 'unit' business. Since it's clear that this is a major problem with their 'system' they absolutely should find a way to make their probes 100% waterproof. If we can put a man on the moon...

I think you could be on to something. Perhaps Maverick is really in the probe business and not in the 'unit' business. Since it's clear that this is a major problem with their 'system' they absolutely should find a way to make their probes 100% waterproof. If we can put a man on the moon...

oh they can make them waterproof

its all a matter of cost

First test tonight and the probes passed with flying colors. Gave them to my wife after cooking a couple of chickens on the PBC tonight. I tossed them in the sink which was full of water, completely submerging the probes. She tried to fish them out but they both dropped back in. She then washed them from top to bottom and rinsed under running water.

I dried 'em off and plugged 'em in. The dreaded LLL did not appear, ambient room temp did instead and both probes were within 1 deg F of each other.

I'll continue to wash them completely over the next months and I'll report after several weeks or a couple of months.
Success!

somebody posted a while back about a dab of high heat silicone and then heat resistant shrink wrap, I wonder how those held up.

somebody posted a while back about a dab of high heat silicone and then heat resistant shrink wrap, I wonder how those held up.

I have used the high heat shrink tubing, and have had good luck with them holding up. I still avoid water, and one of them cracked the other day while plugged into a brisket. ( the heat shrink cracked open ) It absorbed some rendered fat and started acting funny on me. I used my original 3 foot probe last week on some whole chickens and they worked fine. I also have them heat shrinked where the wires enter the probe for about 4 inches total beginning about 1 inch up on the probe itself and then about 3 inches on the braid itself. These are about 3 years old. All in all they are still too delicate for something that has been out on the market for as long as these have. Most of the failures I have read have to do with the probes.

Blessings, :pray:
Omar

I think people should start treating the probes like me, lol. I have two ET-72/73 probes that I have had outside during the winter frozen in ice for days on end and they still work. The two probes are about 4 years old, and they have been in ice, and rain left outside. I also have two ET-732 probes I have had about 2 years and they work great.

Yesterday I received a Thermoworks TX-1001X-OP probe to try on my Heatermeter and I had one of the ET-72/73 probes and my two ET-732 probes in boiling water to calibrate them on the HM and they all were within a couple degrees from each other and the same in ice water.

I must have been lucky to get a good batch of probes

Back