Finding a decent offset in the PNW

JeffRaines

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Jeff
Hey guys,

Long time lurker, recently made an account, and would love some advice.

I recently decided I wanted an offset. Looking around the PNW most of what I could find were pellet grills, kamados and WSMs. I have a WSM that I like, and I had a pellet grill but got rid of it in favor of more control. I'm really after the offset flavor. Anyway, after doing a ton of research I landed on the Chargriller Grand Champ XD. I placed an order for one from Home Depot back about 3 weeks ago and it finally arrived at the store today. I went to pick it up, and it turns out they only sent one box. After them chasing their tails for an hour to come back to tell me that they'd need to order another one in to get the entire thing I decided then and there to return and get my money back.

This place is a dead zone when it comes to this style smoker. There are custom builders of course(more money than I have to spend), a Yoder dealer here or there(also more money than I want to spend, and also largely unavailable). I found a place in California that will ship here and they carry the Old Country pits - problem is, shipping is $500. After tax I'd be looking at $1200 for a Pecos. At $699 I'd be more than thrilled with it, but at $1200 I really want 1/4" steel.

Maybe there's someone here that also lives in the PNW and can lead me to a place that carries this style of smoker. I don't mind going a bit over 1k for the right smoker, I just don't want to spend that much for something that's not exactly what I want.

Thanks in advance for any advice, and thanks for having me here. This place is a huge source of information, and seems to be full of friendly people judging by the conversations I've looked over.

I feel your pain, I’m in the same boat in the North East, no offset’s to be found & shipping is brutal right now. I’ve been scouring the internet looking & unfortunately unless you find something used there really isn’t anything in that $1000 price point that’s worth it. Also like you there’s no Academy stores so I can’t find an Old Country new or used, it’s tough. I’d say keep checking the classifieds & keep saving up so if worse comes to worse you can possibly afford something from a local builder if you don’t find anything used.

I assume you've looked on Facebook Marketplace and Craigs list. I see used 1/4" offsets quite often in my area.

You will see (maybe) a lot of junk rust buckets, but a few clean bargains. Maybe Washington is different though. In that case, I feel your pain. Good luck.

I went to Sam's NW BBQ in Sheridan OR to get my Yoder when I lived in Olympia.

Great people to deal with, just need to take a road trip with a trainer.

http://www.samsnwbbqco.com/

Another bonus is no sales tax in OR so a 10% savings

Last edited:
Your budget and location definitely make finding a decent offset smoker a tough situation. While I can't help you find anything I'll add my two cents : don't waste your time with Yoder. Their smaller offsets are garbage and they have treated their customers quite poorly in regards to this issue.

I live about 20 min from Sam's. He has a nice store and is a good guy to deal with.

I used to live in St. Helens and my kids still do. In fact my daughter and grand Daughter are in West Linn this weekend for a softball tournament! Game at noon.

Sorry Jeff for hijacking your thread.

I would recommend Facebook marketplace and Craigslist. Probably your best bet to find something good at a decent price.
At your price point, used is probably the best bet.

I have seen his posts, but don't know anything about this guy, but there is a manufacter in Lake Oswego who sells on Facebook marketplace. Name is Alex Grassi.

As others have said with your budget your best bet is second hand from marketplace or craigslist. Other option is find a top pit builder and use down payment than finance rest. With proper care smoker will last lifetime and low monthly payment for few years would be worth it.

If you are handy you can always build your own. I spent 6 months building this and minus wheels and coating materials its withjn few hundred of your budget

01f580955807a882e5e84edf066cedbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if the long time lurker is still with us? Been a few days of replies with no reply from him.

Hello...anybody home?

Back