Massive heavy grill on wooden deck?

Contemplating moving a 1200# cooker thru a house to situate it on a back deck that's 60 ft above the ground? Even if your doors could accommodate the size, your floors would live thru it, and your deck was built like Fort Knox....
yeaaaah...
nooooo...

Was me, I'd rethink that. Was one of my kids, I'd try to dissuade them.
But I can't wait to see what you come up with.

good luck... and I mean that.

The plywood is a good idea Dave but I would like to know the joist size, span and spacing also the girder situation

Good point. I always assume minimum is 16"oc given the availability of that composite decking and the popularity..I personally frame 12"oc when that's the call-out fer surfacing regardless.

Tom, plenty of 60'+ elevated decks on our lakes...steel pylon, cable brace, wide flange beam/w welded hangers, pocketed @ wall and strapped.

In all honesty OP if yer not in the know of structural construction practice find someone who is...meaning not a beer buddy who was a framer "once".

Anyways best of luck! If ya get a chance ta post some pics, please do! I understand getting pics of the underside of a 60' elevated decks could be... interesting..

-D

60’ feet?!?

Fer real?!?

How many stories is yer house?

Cook in the front yard...

I saw a YouTube video of a guy who took his lsg offset cabinet through his home and onto his back deck that was quite high up as he lived in the mountains in Colorado, so it can be done. However, I believe his deck was made of concrete, so fire wasn’t a concern. Good luck with your plans and be safe.

Up here...lakeside is a cliff in many cases. Guess who gets ta go up to on the beam fer tie in?? Lol

-D

I’m sure you do :caked:

I’m just tryin to wrap me head around a “ground floor” that’s at street level but the back of the house has a 60’ deck...

That being said, we ain’t talkin Oklahoma are we?

I hate to be a Debbie Downer but I'd be more cautious with a stick burner being on a wooden deck than the actual deck collapsing.

My neighbor lost his house due to him using his Weber kettle on their wooden deck. An ember went flying and lodged between a couple deck boards. The deck ignited long after they've gone to bed. They ended up hearing glass shatter. They thought someone was breaking in. He learned quickly his whole back of the house was on fire. Fortunately he and his family were able to escape. The house ended up burning down to the studs.

I'm not saying this is going to happen but seeing it first hand makes me roll my 1,500lb smoker in and out of the garage. Life would be much easier if I could walk from the kitchen to the deck instead of walking through the living room, down a set of stairs, through the garage, and finally to the smoker. Than I realise that is all I need to do when I think about my family losing everything.

Again hate to be a Debbie Downer but I'd hate to see something happen to you and your house.

If you don't have a 60' staircase you are going to be packing split wood through the house. Unless of course you want to keep the wood on the deck too which sounds like a death wish. Personally I wouldn't put the cooker on a deck that high even if it was built on I-beams. Your garage is the safest place IMO.

It's not the weight, it's the fire hazard.

I set my new deck on fire about 10 years ago with a loose ember from a cooker. It wasn't a good experience.

I learned my lesson and will NEVER have a cooker on a wood deck.

Think about it.

[

Tom, plenty of 60'+ elevated decks on our lakes...steel pylon, cable brace, wide flange beam/w welded hangers, pocketed @ wall and strapped.

That should hold A smoker and more

Fire is a concern but weight is probably not an issue. Typically decks are designed to about 50 lb/sq-ft. If the cookers footprint is 3x6 that accommodates 900 lb and hits the load rating. Think of it as 4-6 people standing next to each other; not an issue.

One concern is at 60' up the designed load rating may be more (or less) depending on what is used as columns/posts. Make the measurements and chat with an engineer, they should be able to give you some feedback pretty easily.

Back