THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bproffer

Take a breath!
377586667_2e921f70ac.jpg

I love cured meats. From bacon to salami to prosciutto and everything in between. I have been wanting to try my hand at charcuterie for a while.

charcuterie.jpg

I bought this book about on the recommendation by many people here a month or so ago and after reading through it a couple times and going over the recipes, I decided that making bacon would be the best and easiest thing to start with.

I needed to pick up a couple pork butts and while at the meat market, I noticed that they sold pink salt (curing salt) and they also had some really nice slabs of pork belly, so I decided to pick them up and try my hand at making bacon.

For my first batch I am doing maple cured bacon from the book above. The cure is pretty simple.

• 50g kosher salt
  • 50g dark brown sugar
  • 12g pink salt
  • 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
  • 3-5lb pork belly, skin on

IMG_0141.jpg

First thing is to trim up the pork belly so the ends are nice and square for easy slicing when all said and done. Next, you make the cure by combining the dry ingredients and mixing them well.

IMG_0143.jpg

Then add the maple syrup and mix again. Now you coat all sides of the pork belly with the cure and place in a large zip-lock bag. It is important that the cure always stay in contact with the meat. I used a gallon zip-lock bag, but it was almost too small. If I would of thought about it, I could have vacuum sealed it.

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

The bacon rested in the cure for 7 days. I flipped the bag containing the bacon and the cure every other day and re-distributed the cure over the pork belly. After 7 days, I checked to see if the cure had done its job. The book said the bacon should be firm to the touch, which it was, so I took it out of the cure and rinsed it well under running cold water, patted dry and left on a cooling rack in the fridge for about 16 hours to form a pellicle (sticky surface for the smoke to adhere too).

Here it is ready for the smoker.

IMG_0154.jpg

The book calls for smoking the bacon @ 200° until the internal temp of the bacon is 150°. I had it on the smoke for a little over 3 hours and used hickory pellets. I wanted to use apple-wood pellets, but I was out.

IMG_0160.jpg

After it was off the smoker, I removed the skin by sliding a sharp knife between the skin and the top layer of fat. It came off rather easy since the bacon was still warm from the smoker.

IMG_0172.jpg

IMG_0173.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

Once cool, I wrapped the bacon in some plastic wrap and put it into the freezer to firm up a bit more to make it easier to slice. I tried making the slices about 1/8" thick. My slicer isn't quite large enough to handle to whole slab of bacon, but I managed. I sliced about half, and vacuum sealed the rest and put it in the freezer.

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

Of course I had to reserve a few slices to fry up and try out. Since it is a maple bacon, I used a lower temperature to try to keep the sugar from burning. I was amazed at the amount of fat that renders off the bacon. I probably had close to 1/4" of bacon grease from just the 3 slices. It cooked faster and also crisped up a lot nicer than store bought. Not sure why.

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

The taste was amazing! It was a salty, sweet bliss. It is very rich and the fat that didn't render off was very tasty. The pieces I cooked were end pieces and I think were a bit more salty than the rest will be. It is so different than store bought. I could only eat once piece it was so rich. Probably the best bacon I have ever tried. I cant wait to try more savory flavors. I'll be making more for sure!

Fantastic work!

A textbook presentation! My only thought was that you should have left the bacon to soak for a few hours in the water, rather than just rinsing off the cure. That will bring the saltiness down quite a lot and you'll be ably to eat more than one slice.

Cheers!

Bill

Looks fantastic. Going to have to give this a try. Got to be cheaper and better than buying the processed stuff from the store. Maybe when I retire and have more time. Sigh!

Fantastic work!

A textbook presentation! My only thought was that you should have left the bacon to soak for a few hours in the water, rather than just rinsing off the cure. That will bring the saltiness down quite a lot and you'll be ably to eat more than one slice.

Cheers!

Bill
I'll second that. Looks awesome and great presentation! I soak for an 1 hour & then fry a small sample to see where it's at and go from there. Nice job man!!!

Fantastic work!

Cheers!

Bill

Thanks! Soaking it is a great idea.

Fantastic work!

Cheers!

Bill

I agree. I recommend upwards of 8 hours of soak time, followed by an overnight rest in the fridge. I'm always amazed when a well written cookbook like Charcuterie doesn't even mention the option of a soak-out.

It might look a little pale coming out of the soak, but the color won't be affected.

DSC01676a.jpg

I agree. I recommend upwards of 8 hours of soak time, followed by an overnight rest in the fridge. I'm always amazed when a well written cookbook like Charcuterie doesn't even mention the option of a soak-out.

It might look a little pale coming out of the soak, but the color won't be affected.

DSC01676a.jpg

Thirdeye, how big is that slicer? If you dont mind, could you share the model?

Thanks!

thanks for this post...been thinking about doing my own bacon. Will have to pick up that book as well. Good write up and pics...thanks again!

Back