THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

e97eb88ea122004208b672d499df57e1.jpg

First Tri-Tip on the MAK. Just straight up sear on the FZ. Loving this MAK!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice!! Straight up simple and delicious :)

Damn, if they had made the announcement about an all stainless 2-star, I would have waited.

Ok, I'm at the first half hour of my first cook on my new Mak 1 Star. Set temp to 225 grill reaches 220 and holds never hits 225. This goes on for about 15 -20 minutes. I decide to up the temp to 230 and it goes to 225 and holds. Shouldn't I be seeing my set temp as my grill temp? Is this common? I'm using Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix. Outdoor temp is 46 degrees when I started half hour ago and now up to a whopping 48 degrees. Blue skies and sunny. I'm thinking it could be because this is only the second time its run other than the initial seasoning. Just went out and checked before posting and now grill temp is 220.I know swings are not uncommon but I also think grill temp should at some point should equal set temp.

Gben...
Try moving the thermometer to the grate. Only thing I can think of. I wouldn't sweat 5 degrees but it does seem strange. I don't know if I ever paid that close attention. Like many say, your oven swings 40-50 degrees. Maybe needs a little more time to settle?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Gben...
Try moving the thermometer to the grate. Only thing I can think of. I wouldn't sweat 5 degrees but it does seem strange. I don't know if I ever paid that close attention. Like many say, your oven swings 40-50 degrees. Maybe needs a little more time to settle?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's something I can try tomorrow or Sunday, certainly have to wait till after this cook. Right now the thermometer is in the corner. That's where it was when I got it. Where is yours? have you moved it around?

I've found in 30sih to 40ish degrees that the grill temp will lag the target temp for a while. I don't think it makes a difference in the cook.

Also, realize that the temp in the corner location (and the top grate, for that matter) will run about 10 to 15 degrees hotter than the grate.

I figure if I want a lower grate temp of, say, 225, then I set my target temp to 240 and I leave the probe in the corner.

Ok, I'm at the first half hour of my first cook on my new Mak 1 Star. Set temp to 225 grill reaches 220 and holds never hits 225. This goes on for about 15 -20 minutes. I decide to up the temp to 230 and it goes to 225 and holds. Shouldn't I be seeing my set temp as my grill temp? Is this common? I'm using Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix. Outdoor temp is 46 degrees when I started half hour ago and now up to a whopping 48 degrees. Blue skies and sunny. I'm thinking it could be because this is only the second time its run other than the initial seasoning. Just went out and checked before posting and now grill temp is 220.I know swings are not uncommon but I also think grill temp should at some point should equal set temp.

The Pellet Boss controller by default displays a rolling average temp. If you want to see the real-time temp you’ll have to go into settings and change it. I don’t know anyone that does that. That said, what you are seeing is pretty normal. Just relax and let the MAK do it’s thing. I see 5°+/- displayed quite often. I also see tons of smoke coming from my MAK. Been cooking on MAK’s for over 4 years now and have never had the tiny temp fluctuations cause an issue. Stick a probe in your home oven and watch those temps roll up and down... you’ll probably feel much better about what you’re seeing on the MAK ;-)

I've found in 30sih to 40ish degrees that the grill temp will lag the target temp for a while. I don't think it makes a difference in the cook.

Also, realize that the temp in the corner location (and the top grate, for that matter) will run about 10 to 15 degrees hotter than the grate.

I figure if I want a lower grate temp of, say, 225, then I set my target temp to 240 and I leave the probe in the corner.

Many thanks for the input. Was somewhat aware about the temp difference dependent on where the temp probe was located. Didn't know it varied that much.

Yeah 5 is nothing. Even an oven has big swings & 20* on a stick burner is really nothing to sneeze at. I wouldn’t worry about 5*. Just my 2c

Not worried, since this is my first cook on it and not familiar with how it runs, was wondering if it's common to not hit set point. Believe me 5 degrees is certainly acceptable especially seeing as how it's appears to be consistent in that way. Live and learn

Many thanks for the input. Was somewhat aware about the temp difference dependent on where the temp probe was located. Didn't know it varied that much.

Not atypical. The manufacturer’s thermometer in my WSM runs about 15 degrees hotter than the upper grate.

So my Mak 1 Star lost its innocence today. 2 racks of baby backs, Oak Ridge BBQ Dominator Rib Rub and sauced with Lillies Carolina and Lillies Smoky BBQ Sauce 1 each. Not the best photographer as you can see but man o man did these come out great. My son said he liked the ones I always made before and said he'd give those a B. These he said were approaching A+

So my Mak 1 Star lost its innocence today. 2 racks of baby backs, Oak Ridge BBQ Dominator Rib Rub and sauced with Lillies Carolina and Lillies Smoky BBQ Sauce 1 each. Not the best photographer as you can see but man o man did these come out great. My son said he liked the ones I always made before and said he'd give those a B. These he said were approaching A+

This is obviously not your first rodeo, partner! Excellent cook :)

I had a similar/same issue and found that setting the temp 5 degrees above my target resolved the issue. That was with the thermocouple resting on the extra rack in the lowest upper position.

Back