LSGz 24x40 Offset - Custom w/Mods

So, one thing I tried to have done at the factory was to match the intake damper handle to the firebox door handle. There were some discussions and concerns about that arrangement making the handle too hot. My concern was knocking a chunk out of my shin after a few wobbly-pops so I went ahead and made my own version.

Using a short piece of all-thread rod, a 3" carriage bolt, some coupling nuts, a handful of regular nuts, washers and what not, I ended up with something like this.

Mvc50E.jpg

Also, notice how the spring handle has been ground on each end to provide a more perpendicular surface for the mating washers. What you don't see are additional nuts in the very ends of the spring that keep it from being so loose - the diameter of the nuts pretty much match the inside diameter of the spring ends. BTW, the coupling nut closest to the damper is for looks only since the all-thread rod goes completely thru the plate.

An overview of the firebox door shows both handles nicely tucked away and ready for business.

8KTXPQ.jpg

After several cooks I can confirm that there's absolutely no heat issue to worry about. The cool touch spring remain just so.

Next up.... what to do with an old full-size baking sheet. :confused::confused::confused:

One of the farkles I passed on was the LSG ash pan. No doubt it's a thing of beauty but 1/4" steel ends up making a very heavy pan - something I wouldn't want to wrestle with in addition to their newly designed 1/2" fire grate. After fooling around with lining the bottom of the firebox with foil I needed something more permanent.

My first shot was a full size baking sheet with one side cut off. It fit perfectly but I got a little surprise on the first cook - major warping of the pan bottom. Luckily I had an extra pan laying around and came up with v2.0 pictured here.

YyOTtG.jpg

By notching the side and leaving some stock I was able to clamp some boards and break (fold) the cut edge up giving that side the rigidity to stop the warping. Very little ash is missed as the edges are pretty much side to side and tight against the back of the firebox. Lightweight, easy to remove, and the shiny surface reflects a nice glow of the burning logs at night.

The 1/2" grate that LSG now offers is outstanding but be sure to bend your knees when taking it out. :biggrin1:

Lots more coming - stay tuned. :blah:

One of the deciding factors in going with an LSGz product was the door fit. The videos were certainly compelling and visiting them in person bore out the level of precision on the door flange. Running thermo probe wires through the door flange would not be wise so I requested a threaded inlet be installed on the side. This is the same size inlet as the Tru-Tel gauge so I could add another if I wanted. Otherwise I'd simply put a threaded plug in the port and be done with it.

But wait..... remote thermometers always get in the way sitting on the front shelf. I needed something to hold the transmitter out of the way, not get too hot, and still transmit a good distance. I remembered having the side cut-off from the baking sheet above and ideas began to take shape. With a little bit of cutting, bending and another drilled carriage bolt assembly, I came up with this adjustable tilt stand for my Maverick.

n3nuHj.jpg

Using a standard cork, I drilled a hole to pass the probe wire thru and it tucks into the threaded port perfectly. If I decide to run two probes in the future I'll split the cork in two halves, file two grooves for the probe wires and press fit the whole assembly back into place. While I was tinkering with that I couldn't help but notice the end of the exhaust damper handle needed some love too. A wallered out lug nut pressed in place added just the right amount of bling.

1J7VWd.jpg

The stand works great and does not get hot - even with the polished aluminum rod attached to the stack. It's a good thing I have some more of the baking sheet edging left in case Santa brings a Thermoworks Smoke - I'll need new shelf. :mrgreen:

Still more ahead......

One of the last pieces of the puzzle involves my smoker location - sitting under a covered patio. This works great, especially when the weather turns nasty but if you don't take proper steps the patio cover turns nasty. Even burning a very clean fire (which the LSGz can do) you will soot up the underside pretty quickly. The resulting smoke stain is hard to remove so I needed a heat/smoke deflector of some sort.

I made one for my cabinet smoker where the exhaust stack terminated about 18" from the ceiling and never did get any stains so I figured something similar would work but it also had to "match" the rest of the pit rather than appear to be an afterthought.

I found a nice piece of 1/2" round bar from a discarded shepherds hook. Doodled a couple of designs with AutoCAD and started bending and shaping. Grabbed another carriage bolt and this time welded the rod to the bolt for insertion into the last custom pipe piece I had LSGz install. Remember that first baking sheet that warped when using for an ash pan? Turns out it made a nice flat deflector plate that slid into a slot I cut in the rod end. A little drilling and tapping for a set screw - some high-heat touch up paint - and I ended up with this..........

GCKnhd.jpg

Just for grins, I cover the plate bottom with a sheet of standard duty aluminum foil and toss after the cook. This keeps the deflector plate looking nice when not in use. My original intention was to install this assembly as needed during cooks but it turned out to look like a factory option so I simply leave it in place at all times.

For now, this completes my customization of the pit. I still have some more mods and tweaks that I think you'll appreciate. When I get them completed I'll post up here. I'm certain I'll need a project or two during the holiday time.

Doing it over again I'd add a couple more pieces of pipe here and there for other possible mods. If nothing else, I can remove any of these current items since they're not permanently attached. Thanks again for everyone's kind words and "thanks". :thumb:

He's Baaaaack...

So all the previous modifications were basically add-ons to a very nice pit. After several cooks I've got the tuning plates largely figured out, fire management is a breeze and the food has been fantastic. One area I think LSGz could have done much better was the "L"-handle to the firebox.

The cool touch spring slides back and forth about 1.5" creating a pinch point and a somewhat sloppy feeling. I fixed this with a 3/8" flat washer - drilled out for the 1/2" "L"-handle and welded it in place. When the end cap was tapped back on it compresses the spring slightly and gives a much better look and feel. I also ground the spring ends so the taper was perpendicular to the handle in similar fashion as the intake damper modification made earlier. Having cooked with this arrangement I can confirm the spring still stays cool with no heat buildup. Here's a picture of the finished mod... 15 cent washer and a little touch up paint is all it took.

QaIpNg.jpg

The other thing I didn't like was how the handle would drop straight down and "hide" behind the door when adding a log. A simple stop (1/2" rod or similar) was welded in place on the inside of the door. This allows for the handle to rotate 180 degrees and stick out beyond the edge of the door instead of dropping straight down. Now the door can be closed without reaching or walking around to the other side - making it less likely to accidentally touch a hot door. Here's a picture right after welding the stop in place. I rounded the end for more finished look.

HGxnS3.jpg

The nice thing is you can still have the handle drop straight down if you want even with the stop in place. An option would be to have LSGz weld a nut on the door and you could supply a 3" long bolt to thread into it. That way if you didn't want that option you could remove it. Mine is there to stay for sure - again, a cheap addition for some great convenience.

do you have any pics of it loaded up with food? Trying to get an idea of the 24x40 size. Also, how are the temps side to side...pretty close with the tuning plates?

That's one bright ring!

Did that red food coloring you used effect the taste? :p

Really nice smoke ring for sure! Great cook. Congratulations!

Looks wonderful... are you sure you didn't paint that smoke ring on there??? :p

:pound::pound::pound:

I'm only laughing because I've gotten the same comments elsewhere - but no artificial additives were harmed in the making of this brisket. I was very surprised at the depth of the ring but can assure you it was indeed there. I'll toss out a thanks to SuckleBusters SPG rub - my first time on a brisket and it won't be the last.

do you have any pics of it loaded up with food? Trying to get an idea of the 24x40 size. Also, how are the temps side to side...pretty close with the tuning plates?

I haven't loaded it up - doubt I ever will.... BUT..... here's a thread I found on the Brethern that sold me on the 24x40 size.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=237304

Based on that I figure it'll hold more than I'll ever cook at one time.

I've had a love/hate affair with the tuning plates. I'm down to about 20 degrees difference from far end to far end. It's closer early in the cook and further apart later due to radiant heat off the plates. Kicking around a pan of water on the firebox end but since I don't load things up much it really doesn't present an issue.

As I recall, you were having some problems determining whether or not the Tel-Tru thermometer that came with the pit was properly calibrated. Were you ever able to get that issue resolved?

As I recall, you were having some problems determining whether or not the Tel-Tru thermometer that came with the pit was properly calibrated. Were you ever able to get that issue resolved?
Not as of this posting... I've contacted LSGz and explained the situation. I've emailed pictures of the gauge to them. Likely a little holiday slow-down causing the delay - or I'm hoping that's what it is. :noidea:

Back