THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which one would you pick, and why?

• LSG Mini

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • Humphrey's DEB

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters
LSG Large owner. I looked at both during my decision making process. I picked LSG because: I hate the look of the rivets, the welds were perfect, I liked being able to add water without opening the door (I never cook with water now) and it was the best cooker for me for the money. Chris was very helpful and had plenty of time to talk me through the process. The large cabinet is big. I cooked 13 briskets on my first cook. As far as smoke flavor I use a mixture of 60% wood 40$ Charcoal.

This seems to be getting into a Ford vs. Chevy truck fight. Both smokers will produce excellent food and each have people really happy with them.

We should not be getting into fights over something like this that really does not matter in the grand scheme of things. I am happy with my Humphrey's and I am happy for those who have a LSG. People need to research the options they want and how much they want to spend and make a decision. Lets not start a fight.

This seems to be getting into a Ford vs. Chevy truck fight. Both smokers will produce excellent food and each have people really happy with them.

We should not be getting into fights over something like this that really does not matter in the grand scheme of things. I am happy with my Humphrey's and I am happy for those who have a LSG. People need to research the options they want and how much they want to spend and make a decision. Lets not start a fight.

Not fighting at all pointing out BS when fed to people. I asked why each smoker was better. I have yet to hear it from the Humphrey's side just votes.

We all should value good information not misinformation. There is no room for it in places like this. I also don't like people cherry picking their way around something.

What are your thoughts on your DEB that make it better than the Mini?

Not fighting at all pointing out BS when fed to people. I asked why each smoker was better. I have yet to hear it from the Humphrey's side just votes.

We all should value good information not misinformation. There is no room for it in places like this. I also don't like people cherry picking their way around something.

"pointing out BS when fed to people" is going in that direction. For example someone may think that rivets are bad, and others don't care. Some prefer powder coat and others don't. Just because I don't like or agree does not make the thing BS or misinformation.

As to why I think the DEB better than a mini? There is a problem in the question. I don't think one is universally better than the other. Each is different and has different features. Like Ford and Chevy trucks. One is better for one guy and the other for another based on each's needs.

So here are the reasons I decided the DEB was the right one for me. I like my local BBQ vendor that sales them, St Louis BBQ. They have been very kind to me and helped me understand smoking and are helpful to their customers. I was originally looking at backwoods, but liked the Humphrey's they had. I also looked at Pitmaker and LSG. I made a list of options and costs. The DEB was cheaper for what I wanted due to the cost of a different color of the LSG and shipping. Picking it up at St Louis BBQ was much cheaper. I also wanted options that the others did not have like a slide out water pan. I liked how the racks slides were in the DEB, a bunch of them so I could space how I needed for a particular cook. Rivets did not bother me. I have experience with rivets and they can hold a lot of weight. Overall weight was also an issue as this smoker needs to move frequently. I wanted to cook for my church too so I need to get it on a trailer. When I cook at home I needed to role it out of my garage. I also have a job that requires I move also. So I felt that the DEB was better for my needs and wants.

I don't think that one is universally better than another. If my situation was different, not have a shipping savings, not needing to move it, more budget, I may have ended up with the bigger LSG.

Not fighting at all pointing out BS when fed to people.
Oh the irony in this statement and your take on powder coating.

Powder coating is by far superior to regular painting applications due to it's adhesion to metal, being more resistant to chipping, scratching and it's not even close, there are also high heat resistance powder coating applications. Now if you're just parking your smoker on a patio or in a garage then it's not an issue, most people that purchase these types of cookers are using them for competitions and catering functions. If you are transporting your smoker then you want powder coating, well thats if you really care about the durability of the finish anyways.

Why bother, anybody with a modicum of intelligence knows your mind was made up before you made the post and all you're looking for is the reinforcement of the decision you have made.
You seem to have the answers for everything and it's only an exercise in futility for someone that might point out a benefit of one and where you're clearly wrong on another.
Since you're from Iowa I'll make it a little clearer for you "why bother asking a question when all you want to do is argue with the person that took the time to give you an answer which he or she thought was the best based on opinion or fact?"
Obviously you have nothing better to do with your time and hold no value to others time or opinions, this is either just a game to you or you're desperately seeking approval to justify your purchase.

Why bother, anybody with a modicum of intelligence knows your mind was made up before you made the post and all you're looking for is the reinforcement of the decision you have made.
You seem to have the answers for everything and it's only an exercise in futility for someone that might point out a benefit of one and where you're clearly wrong on another.
Since you're from Iowa I'll make it a little clearer for you "why bother asking a question when all you want to do is argue with the person that took the time to give you an answer which he or she thought was the best based on opinion or fact?"
Obviously you have nothing better to do with your time and hold no value to others time or opinions, this is either just a game to you or you're desperately seeking approval to justify your purchase.

Hammer meet nail! Exactly why I stopped posting in this thread.

Now, if you'll excuse me while I go eat the food from my inferior smoker. :roll:

2bblhw.jpg

Oh the irony in this statement and your take on powder coating.

Powder coating is by far superior to regular painting applications due to it's adhesion to metal, being more resistant to chipping, scratching and it's not even close, there are also high heat resistance powder coating applications. Now if you're just parking your smoker on a patio or in a garage then it's not an issue, most people that purchase these types of cookers are using them for competitions and catering functions. If you are transporting your smoker then you want powder coating, well thats if you really care about the durability of the finish anyways.

Tried to find one about LSG HHP. maybe you can?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219363

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=210149

http://jackson.craigslist.org/for/5656871222.html

Insults always find a home with you when nothing else works?

If you want proof I didn't make up my mind I can show you via the emails I have at my finger tips. I guess since Chad sent me an order forum I had my mind made up? Thank God he decided to ignore a customer. I have over a year worth of emails so you know as much as you've shown about other things in this thread. Funny coming from a guy with no dog in the fight. Must have a thin skin, and large nerves?

Funny I have asked from the start for feed back. I can't force it out of people. Maybe a look back might show that be the case. I even stated this helped make up my mind.

Well since I'm from Iowa WTF does that have to do with anything. Find me a thought from the Humphrey's side on page 1 through what 4 or 5? The only Dbag so far has been you. You where snide, and condescending for the last two posts ( only two posts)you have made. I guess the buck stop with you?

Since you have no dog in the fight why are you in the ring? Glass house, and all. Now does anyone want to talk about the Humphrey's that has knowledge of them. This fella doesn't bring any insight just insults.

Just from looks, features, style, and price (Regardless of the bad things said), I'd be hard pressed to be talked into a Humphreys at this point. The LSG's just seem superior to me, but like said, that's just to "ME".

I think I've ruled out GF's, RF's, and all that I've seen has me wanting to put the trigger on an LSG Mini.

It's a shame only because I really wanted to spend my $$$ here in my state. I'm big on supporting MY economy, But after all my research , watching vids, reading, I can't afford to not get what I want.

So far I'm still not %100, but I'm getting closer for sure.

I reckon I don't have much of a modicum because this thread started out quite innocently with a member asking for comparisons between two specific cookers. He all but begged Humphrey owners to chime in but no one did until page 6 when cfrazier77 wrote his great post. In the meantime OP has been researching and trying to get answers from the two different builders. One of them answered his questions and one obviously didn't have time to answer him.
I believe that initially OP wanted to buy a Humphrey smoker but getting zero positive reinforcement from Humphrey smoker guys drove him straight to LSG. JMHO

I reckon I don't have much of a modicum because this thread started out quite innocently with a member asking for comparisons between two specific cookers. He all but begged Humphrey owners to chime in but no one did until page 6 when cfrazier77 wrote his great post. In the meantime OP has been researching and trying to get answers from the two different builders. One of them answered his questions and one obviously didn't have time to answer him.
I believe that initially OP wanted to buy a Humphrey smoker but getting zero positive reinforcement from Humphrey smoker guys drove him straight to LSG. JMHO

Hey man...You're just up the road a ways :)
Cook me up some Brisket on ya LSG Mini and I'll come test it out!! lol
Might just put me over the edge! lol

Tried to find one about LSG HHP. maybe you can
I don't need to look at those threads, you stated that HHP is superior to Powder Coating (which also has High Heat applications) and the fact is it doesn't. Nice try to deflect and like I said you talking about bull**** is irony at it's finest.

Here's a fact, all these Insulated Cabinet Smokers be it LSG, Humphrey's, 270, Backwoods, Stumps, Assassin, Deep South, Pit Maker, Southern Q and any others I have not mentioned will last a lifetime for the Backyard BBQer if they are taken care of. FACT!

Also you feeling like you were insulted by Chad telling you he was going on vacation is ridiculous, he was giving you a heads up, personally if you can't respect the fact that I need down time to enjoy my life I don't need your business!

Hey man...You're just up the road a ways :)
Cook me up some Brisket on ya LSG Mini and I'll come test it out!! lol
Might just put me over the edge! lol

Well be careful what you wish for. If I don't have to go out of town next weekend I'll be cooking a brisket among other things. You are welcome to come up and check it out.
I don't know what part of town you are in but I'm 80 miles north of Barrett Pkwy.

I don't need to look at those threads, you stated that HHP is superior to Powder Coating (which also has High Heat applications) and the fact is it doesn't. Nice try to deflect and like I said you talking about bull**** is irony at it's finest.

Here's a fact, all these Insulated Cabinet Smokers be it LSG, Humphrey's, 270, Backwoods, Stumps, Assassin, Deep South, Pit Maker, Southern Q and any others I have not mentioned will last a lifetime for the Backyard BBQer if they are taken care of. FACT!

Also you feeling like you were insulted by Chad telling you he was going on vacation is ridiculous, he was giving you a heads up, personally if you can't respect the fact that I need down time to enjoy my life I don't need your business!

Don't blame you. Why look at something you wouldn't want to see to back your stance.

Um no he didn't give me a heads up, and I'm still waiting for a response from 7/11 I have never gotten anything back. This is the second time this month alone this has happened. Don't need one now wouldn't matter. I was close to ordering 7/1/16, and got that 7/2/16 he knew what was up. If he wanted to give a heads up it would have been on 7/1 so I could have gotten everything needed.

Well be careful what you wish for. If I don't have to go out of town next weekend I'll be cooking a brisket among other things. You are welcome to come up and check it out.
I don't know what part of town you are in but I'm 80 miles north of Barrett Pkwy.

:)

I'm just south of that area!! 10 mins.

I was mainly joking but I'll tell ya what. I'll shoot you a pm if I can get away, but unfortunately I'm on duty all next wknd. But thank you for the invite.

I would however love to see one in person before buying. I may hit you up seriously if I can shoot up there another day and see it. If so, great. If not and you're busy, I totally understand!

Thanks!!

David

:)

I'm just south of that area!! 10 mins.

I was mainly joking but I'll tell ya what. I'll shoot you a pm if I can get away, but unfortunately I'm on duty all next wknd. But thank you for the invite.

I would however love to see one in person before buying. I may hit you up seriously if I can shoot up there another day and see it. If so, great. If not and you're busy, I totally understand!

Thanks!!

David

What ever you do don't wear your G. Tech shirt.. Maybe an Auburn would be better? :shock:

I also have PMed many owners of many different builders. Got answers I was looking for some that surprised me to be honest. I think PMs are sometimes better because people will tell the truth more than on the main board. I just talked to a fella that made me pause. He was honest about some of the issues he has had with a Pint, and truth be told they fell in line with what Chris told me about the RF cookers. So that is knowledge I take as real world truths. Neither had any idea what the other said.

Its hard for people to admit when they buy something for a ton of cash, and it isn't what they thought it would be. When you get multiple people telling you the same thing that is valid. I'm one that takes into account the bad more then the good, because the bad is what is hard to deal with.

If you look back I have stated many times Chad is a good guy. He just F'ed up with me, and that is what I will tell anyone that asks me. If anyone has a bad story about LSG I want to hear that as well. I have just not gotten one. I think any bad should be passed along with the good.

The thing is you don't know how people are in life so you have to take them for their word. I have gotten multiple bad comments about Humphrey's from owners. Not on the main board, but via PMs. I have gotten nothing bad about LSG when asked. That is all I can do.I could list them, but then I'm a hater.

Anyway cool beans to all, just wish I could have gotten more feedback early on from the Humphrey crowd.

Back