THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which one would you pick, and why?

• LSG Mini

Votes: 46 57.5%
  • Humphrey's DEB

Votes: 34 42.5%

• Total voters
I have to pay shipping so that is just part of it. My mind may be different if I had some made in the backyard, but still it would have to be what I wanted. I know the budget I set, and LSG is right there even with shipping.

Agreed!! I have always spent more if it's what I really wanted and not settle.

But the Assassin, Stumps, and couple of other are within 20 min to a 2 hour drive. But those LSG's have my attention something serious. I like the look and how it all works.

Agreed!! I have always spent more if it's what I really wanted and not settle.

But the Assassin, Stumps, and couple of other are within 20 min to a 2 hour drive. But those LSG's have my attention something serious. I like the look and how it all works.

It depends on if you want a GF vs Straight flow. LSG is a straight flow. Chris explained it to be like a WSM

Fire on the bottom, water pan in the middle to create indirect cooking, and racks above it with the exhaust on top. This is how they are able to achieve even temps and even smoke distribution from front to back and top to bottom (5-10 degrees differential is the most we ever see if that).

This has been confirmed by multiple real life users as well. So I know Chris is talking the truth. he also told me how RF works, and I have had that answered with people giving me info on them as well so I know he was telling the truth on that as well.

GF you just have a much bigger, and heavier cooker to achieve the same results. I think it may be a bit harder just for the fact you have to keep adding wood chunks because you can't put them in the chute. The other big issue is grease fires. The bridging issue I think isn't as much as it use to be, but still there. I can send you via PM what Chris talked about in his email with me to help me understand if you like?

It depends on if you want a GF vs Straight flow. LSG is a straight flow. Chris explained it to be like a WSM

Fire on the bottom, water pan in the middle to create indirect cooking, and racks above it with the exhaust on top. This is how they are able to achieve even temps and even smoke distribution from front to back and top to bottom (5-10 degrees differential is the most we ever see if that).

This has been confirmed by multiple real life users as well. So I know Chris is talking the truth. he also told me how RF works, and I have had that answered with people giving me info on them as well so I know he was telling the truth on that as well.

GF you just have a much bigger, and heavier cooker to achieve the same results. I think it may be a bit harder just for the fact you have to keep adding wood chunks because you can't put them in the chute. The other big issue is grease fires. The bridging issue I think isn't as much as it use to be, but still there. I can send you via PM what Chris talked about in his email with me to help me understand if you like?

Been watching vids all morning. Mostly LSG vids.

Watching this one currently (will post below). I really like some of the upgrades like the 304 Stainless round bar food grates.

Yes, please send me the info you have. I appreciate that.

I thing the Mini would be plenty for what I do / will do (single no kids. Just friends / GF / other family on holidays), BUT for not much more the regular would be all I'd ever need for sure. Prob never compete, but who knows.

Thank you!

[ame]http://youtu.be/aPS4sRDfMeI[/ame]

Been watching vids all morning. Mostly LSG vids.

Watching this one currently (will post below). I really like some of the upgrades like the 304 Stainless round bar food grates.

Yes, please send me the info you have. I appreciate that.

I thing the Mini would be plenty for what I do / will do (single no kids. Just friends / GF / other family on holidays), BUT for not much more the regular would be all I'd ever need for sure. Prob never compete, but who knows.

Thank you!

http://youtu.be/aPS4sRDfMeI

Well Chris has the mini. He said he could have any of his smokers he wants at his house, and the mini is the only smoker he has there.

He has cooked for 100+ people no problem with it. Its true you can up size for around $600 more, but for me there is no reason to so I can spend that extra cash on other items like knives, thermapen, rubs etc etc.

I have asked if he can make more videos of his builds, and cooks. There just isn't a ton out there, but I can say that with many of the builders. The difference I think Chris listens when people talk.

What info are you wanting to know the most about so I can pull that for you to PM.

I ordered a Humphrey Pint after meeting a bunch of folks who were using them. Price and design seem about the same as the LSG.

Design

One is a straight flow the other a reverse flow so the design is completely different. One has a fire box "RF" in a separate compartment, and has air flow between the walls and exits from the bottom. The other exits at the top. One is indirect heat the other "RF" is convection.

Price isn't even close. DEB is what compares to the Mini, and the Pint Plus to the Standard. The DEB striped down is close, but once you add on everything to make them close as possible is hundreds more. The larger version the Humphreys starts out at $3950 that is more than a decked out Standard LSG. Also Humphrey's options are not spelled out because they discount some items in house vs other vendors.

You then have to look at the build quality.

Here are just a few I have taken away from others, and the builders

Build quality

High Heat paint vs Powder coat advantage High heat paint LSG

All weld construction vs partial weld, and rivets advantage LSG

Tube frame double 11GA steel all welded vs unknown for Humphreys never told me thickness of either skin. Humphrey's also said outside skin is (cosmetic only) in others words I take that as a single wall construction. Never said how much of skin is welded vs rivets. Has a tube frame.
Don't know the size of square tube from either builder advantage LSG

1200 deg insulation vs 2000 deg advantage LSG

Rack slides rivet vs welded advantage LSG

Rack spacing 1.5" Humphrey's 6.75" for LSG 3.2" per with all 7 Racks Humphrey's never got an answer advantage LSG until answered.

7 usable racks for LSG Humphrey's never got an answer just how many locations it has advantage LSG until answered.

Standard vs Ugrade advantage LSG

Upgrade price lower for LSG items, and have more standard option to begin with advantage LSG.

Bling advantage Humphreys until you use it and the color is not pretty any longer then the advantage goes to LSG high heat paint

Owner interaction with customers advantage LSG

Issues with build more pro active advantage LSG

Warranty not sure have yet to ask LSG Humphrey's has none, and once you get it its your problem to figure out. That has been proven multiple times here read up, and its there.

Those are a few I could think of off the top of my head. Also why I don't think you see much response from Humphrey owners in this thread just votes. This is what I wanted to see to make my final push.

Last edited:
you can get round bar SS grates from Humphrey as well. They also build in a port for your temp probes. LSG prob does as well. You might want to price out both including shipping, depending where you live.

Well Chris has the mini. He said he could have any of his smokers he wants at his house, and the mini is the only smoker he has there.

He has cooked for 100+ people no problem with it. Its true you can up size for around $600 more, but for me there is no reason to so I can spend that extra cash on other items like knives, thermapen, rubs etc etc.

I have asked if he can make more videos of his builds, and cooks. There just isn't a ton out there, but I can say that with many of the builders. The difference I think Chris listens when people talk.

What info are you wanting to know the most about so I can pull that for you to PM.

You answered LOTS of questions for me and I appreciate it and the PM.

Gonna finish the LSG thread and a few others and then make a decision.

Advantage- LSG for now.

Assassin owner was very nice and called me back promptly.. Like his design and quality. Plus he's here in GA.

Left a msg. And never got a return call from Stumps. Who knows why. I'll give them a pass on that for now. I'll try one more time.

The others here in GA didn't peak my interest as much.

I hate these kind of decisions... Lol

just in case you haven't seen these...

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6AMwf2p9os"]Mini insulated cabinet smoker seasoning video by Lone Star Grillz - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGiIGGaks88"]Our Most Efficient Smoker Yet | Lone Star Grillz - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jfp8MUlRPk"]Lone Star Grillz Insulated Vertical Smoker Review - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqKYwXjs6FM"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Smoker - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7UjmvXaH0"]Lone Star Grillz Insulated Smoker 002 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t462Wc5VNcw"]Lone star grillz insulated smoker door seal replacment - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzDMmIXbKPA"]Brinkmann Trailmaster - Tutorial Series - How to Season your pit - YouTube[/ame]

Burn if you really Humphreys models then give Chad another chance by calling or emailing him

He has always been responsive to my emails and calls.

Both companies are very good, I just like some of the LSG things better

You really can't go wrong with either one

I hopefully only have 5 more weeks till mine is going to be built !

I did give him chances. Chad is a good guy answered lots of questions, but also avoided many when asked or was rather vague. The last email I told him I was looking at LSG mini, and ask how his DEB stacked up against it or the best model he had to put against it.

This was the part of the email the other was talking about a cart so I cut that part out

My email to him 7/11/16

Also I'm looking at LSG mini, and standard so can you tell me how your build, and design is better? I figured my budget is going to have to expand to get what I want so I don't have to do it again unless I want to. I'm most worried about ribs. The butts, and brisket I doubt will ever be a problem. Is my best bet to go wide or tall with your smokers? I guess between the DEB vs the qubed box if they are close? Thanks Chad

He also has given me multiple excuses on why he didn't respond to emails. This month alone two times he has not responded to me, and it took me three emails the last time before he responded.

The one before the 7/11/16 email above he sent me when I was almost ready to buy. I got this on 7/2/16 he should have told me then I would have emailed him before this date to get things done. If you know someone is close to buying would you send them this without telling them in advance?

I will be out of the office from 07/02/2016 to 07/11/2016. Have a happy and safe Fourth of July holiday!

He doesn't handle customers very well in certain circumstances. Some I have seen here are people with problems. He deflects instead of helps. I'm not talking temp problems or the likes. I'm talking product issues or manufacture issues.

The trust has been broken so there really is no need to go on plus when I went back, and looked at about 6 different manufactures during his I wont be in the office week I said to myself LSG is better anyway after I started to look at things more.

I've got no dog in the fight as I own none of the cookers being compared but I have had the opportunity to see them in person.
One is a straight flow the other a reverse flow so the design is completely different. One has a fire box "RF" in a separate compartment, and has air flow between the walls and exits from the bottom. The other exits at the top. One is indirect heat the other "RF" is convection.

As previously mentioned by another poster one is a straight flow much like a WSM but larger. One is a reverse flow (much more work to build) labor and material wise. My conclusion would be if you wanted a straight flow with large capacity why not save yourself some dough and get a couple of WSM's?

High Heat paint vs Powder coat advantage High heat paint LSG.
You have an interesting take on this and I couldn't disagree with you more.
Where durability is a concern most major manufacturers of motorcycle frames, car parts, outdoor furniture, wheel manufacturers etc. will use powder coat vs. high heat paint. I'm certain if high heat paint were a better process Harley Davidson would be using it on their frames and saving tons of money as powder coating is a much more expensive process.
If the exterior of LSG's BBQ's get hot perhaps that the reason for the high heat paint? Humphreys exterior is cool to touch and that enables them to use a more expensive durable powder coat finish on their exteriors.

All weld construction vs partial weld, and rivets advantage LSG.
This is another interesting take, Humphrey's rivets their decorative(not structural) exterior panels on so they can be powder coated without hauling the whole smoker to the powder coating facility. You give the advantage to LSG, I call it a moot issue.

Tube frame double 11GA steel all welded vs unknown for Humphreys never told me thickness of either skin. Humphrey's also said outside skin is (cosmetic only) in others words I take that as a single wall construction. Never said how much of skin is welded vs rivets. Has a tube frame.
Don't know the size of square tube from either builder advantage LSG
Doesn't sound like you have enough information to make a fair and accurate assessment of either model here?

Rack slides rivet vs welded advantage LSG
I'm pretty sure Humphreys rivets the slide so you can use the top of the slide for another slide space, giving you an additional slide space. It certainly would be much easier to weld it rather than drilling holes and popping rivets? I'm not seeing a clear advantage other than the addition slot for a rack. Do you know what the tensile strength of the rivet used and what it would take to pull them out? I don't, but I got money that says you're not pulling them out by hand.

Whatever cooker you choose I'm sure it will be great, but you should make sure you've made fair and accurate assessments of both cookers rather than jumping to conclusions to insure that you get the cooker that will facilitate your needs.

As a DEB owner I could not be more happy with my purchase. I just got it recently and it holds temps great, less than 5 degrees from top to bottom. I was able to customize it exactly how I wanted it. I got it through a local dealer, St Louis bbq, so shipping was very cheap. I think they are both great smokers. Chad answered my phone calls and helped me get it right. I would definitely recommend them.

I have a question...Maybe a weird one, but here goes.

I've posed the question about acquiring as much of a smoke taste from a LSG,Assassin,Stumps,Humphreys, etc. Cabinet style cookers as you could achieve on a Stick burner. Would it be possible and has anyone ever done this:

Get some small amount of charcoal going in the firebox like on an LSG and switch to strictly wood?? I know it'd probably require constant attention to control the temps a bit more and to add more wood when needed, but could it be run like a stick burner to get a heavier smoke flavor is desired??

Was just curious if it could be done that way if I had a day to tend to it and keep adding wood to the fire, solely to get a more "stick burner" type flavor.

Swole, this was answered in the other thread, but in case you missed it, most cabinet manufacturers suggest NOT burning sticks in them. These run on minimal air, so you will choke sticks (dirty fire) or have clean fire and too much heat for the cabinet.

Swole, this was answered in the other thread, but in case you missed it, most cabinet manufacturers suggest NOT burning sticks in them. These run on minimal air, so you will choke sticks (dirty fire) or have clean fire and too much heat for the cabinet.

Okay Thanks!!

Yes, I posed the question in my thread as well since different folks were sub'd to it vs this one. Thanks again. Makes sense.

I've got no dog in the fight as I own none of the cookers being compared but I have had the opportunity to see them in person.
By reading your post I find it somewhat hard to believe, If you had no dog in the fight you would have responded to all of the points, not just the ones you thought you had answers for.
As previously mentioned by another poster one is a straight flow much like a WSM but larger. One is a reverse flow (much more work to build) labor and material wise. My conclusion would be if you wanted a straight flow with large capacity why not save yourself some dough and get a couple of WSM's?
You mean Chris, and Chad or me? Also please explain each builders process, and material list so we can judge which is more labor intense, and has more material cost.

So we should buy 4 WSM's, and guru setups to do what one cooker will do? That sounds like a wonderful conclusion. You do understand how much more that would cost, and how much more work it would be using 4 vs 1 correct? You may also want to realize one is built just a tad bit better as well.

Why would one go through such a labor intensive process building a RF to produce the same to or lesser results vs SF. Everyone knows with a little research GF have hot spots on the bottom, and RF have them on the top. Can you tell me where they are for straight flow? I also asked each builder to explain why theirs is better than the other, and LSG won that debate.
You have an interesting take on this and I couldn't disagree with you more.
Where durability is a concern most major manufacturers of motorcycle frames, car parts, outdoor furniture, wheel manufacturers etc. will use powder coat vs. high heat paint. I'm certain if high heat paint were a better process Harley Davidson would be using it on their frames and saving tons of money as powder coating is a much more expensive process.
If the exterior of LSG's BBQ's get hot perhaps that the reason for the high heat paint? Humphreys exterior is cool to touch and that enables them to use a more expensive durable powder coat finish on their exteriors.
Great, so a smoker is like a Harley, car parts, wheels, and lawn chairs etc? You just answered part of why HHP is better. Cost is one aspect for the buyer clean up over time is another, and cost to replace not only powder, but other supplies as well.. Also Hot Rod Black is bad to the bone with SS.

Might want to ask how many issues LSG has had with HHP vs Humphrey's and their Powder coat. We have threads here on one that has. We also seen how it was handled. Can you explain why there is no warranty on the powder coat if its superior? Shouldn't be an issue since it will hold up so well. Right? I can buy HHE paint any place at any time.

You say cool to the touch for Humphrey's. LSG can upgrade to automotive paint that is cool to the touch.
This is another interesting take, Humphrey's rivets their decorative(not structural) exterior panels on so they can be powder coated without hauling the whole smoker to the powder coating facility. You give the advantage to LSG, I call it a moot issue.
Interesting.. As in your takes or mine?

When powder coat goes bad in a few years or five you have to drill out rivets take the outer skin to a body shop get charged a few hundred bucks, and still not have a completed powder coat job? Not to mention go a size bigger on the rivet so it holds when you put it all back together. Do most people have multiple industrial rivet tools to replace rivets? I hope they use something a bit better than a wal-mart tool. How is the exhaust stack secured sealed on top? If you take the skin off how, and what needs to be done with the stack, ball vale inlets, add on shelf, grab bars, tie down rings? How about the bottom or top that needs re-coated do you have to take the entire smoker in for that? What about around the door seal? Speaking of door seal which is better? Did you just say the decorative non structural part? So it makes them a single walled insulated cooker?

Remember above about advantage of HHP vs Powder coat. Well this ties into why HHP is better than powder coat. I can paint it with cans of spray paint I can get local at any store, and do it myself for under $30.00 That is an advantage.
Doesn't sound like you have enough information to make a fair and accurate assessment of either model here?

Why, because of square tubbing? I know what LSG has. Since you know so much about Humphrey's tell us all what they make theirs from. Its right on LSG web page. All welded double walled 11 GA steel. Asked Humphreys, and got one thicker cs inside, and a thinner cs outside. That tells the consumer a ton.
I'm pretty sure Humphreys rivets the slide so you can use the top of the slide for another slide space, giving you an additional slide space. It certainly would be much easier to weld it rather than drilling holes and popping rivets? I'm not seeing a clear advantage other than the addition slot for a rack. Do you know what the tensile strength of the rivet used and what it would take to pull them out? I don't, but I got money that says you're not pulling them out by hand.

How are you pretty sure? What good is a slide space if you can't use many of them? They have to be usable to matter. What can you cook in a 1.5". So a less than .750 gain gets you what?

So its easier to make full weld vs rivet? Talk about Interesting take. Do you have the tools to replace the rivets once the heat loosens them? There is a reason all welded boats are higher priced then riveted ones. Does Harley rivet their frames or weld them. just thought I'd ask since they powder coat them.
Whatever cooker you choose I'm sure it will be great, but you should make sure you've made fair and accurate assessments of both cookers rather than jumping to conclusions to insure that you get the cooker that will facilitate your needs.

Likewise

I also just found this. What do they say a pictures worth a thousand words?

http://jackson.craigslist.org/for/5656871222.html

Last edited:
Back