THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bought and used one of the smaller LSG fire management baskets this weekend on my 20x42 LSG. Have to say, it was a real pleasure. It simply made things easier. The coals stay condensed so the wood lights up quicker with new splits. Also, the splits burn down completely. I had to cut my splits in half since the basket is only 12.5" long but it worked well and keeping temps inline was very easy.

It's not completely plug and play, still needed to move a log around a little bit or shake the basket etc. I also added a few more chunks of lump coal after a few hrs when I realized all the coals were gone. This stuff is easy though and a part of the pleasure of using a wood fired offset. Only thing I will do different next time is start with a bit more lump in the basket.

REALLY happy with the results though and gives this newby to offsets a lot more confidence. I went from cold smoker to short ribs on in 30 minutes. Cooked for over 5 hrs and had zero 'oh crap' moments.

For me it is good!

gbRgYX3

Last edited:
I like it because it's something many people have recognized a need for. I make my own with expanded metal and sheet metal or firebrick. This seems pricey but well designed.

I think I must have posted in another thread about this. But I did order one and used it once. It works pretty well but I had trouble keeping temps up. My 20X42 seemed to struggle to keep over 225. But it was a very windy day. So far my biggest issue with my LSG is keeping clean fire without opening the firebox door. I have to experiment with this a bit more.

I bought and used one of the smaller LSG fire management baskets this weekend on my 20x42 LSG. Have to say, it was a real pleasure. It simply made things easier. The coals stay condensed so the wood lights up quicker with new splits. Also, the splits burn down completely. I had to cut my splits in half since the basket is only 12.5" long but it worked well and keeping temps inline was very easy.

It's not completely plug and play, still needed to move a log around a little bit or shake the basket etc. I also added a few more chunks of lump coal after a few hrs when I realized all the coals were gone. This stuff is easy though and a part of the pleasure of using a wood fired offset. Only thing I will do different next time is start with a bit more lump in the basket.

REALLY happy with the results though and gives this newby to offsets a lot more confidence. I went from cold smoker to short ribs on in 30 minutes. Cooked for over 5 hrs and had zero 'oh crap' moments.

For me it is good!

gbRgYX3

If you bought a fire management basket and had to charcoal to finish a cook, either the management part of the basket is missing or there's something else going wrong. If I had to add coal to a management basket in order to continue cooking in an offset with wood I wouldn't consider that a positive thing.

If you bought a fire management basket and had to charcoal to finish a cook, either the management part of the basket is missing or there's something else going wrong. If I had to add coal to a management basket in order to continue cooking in an offset with wood I wouldn't consider that a positive thing.

More a management of the fire itself thing. I let the wood and coals basically completely burn down to ash. I'm only about 4-5 cooks into using an offset so it's still a learning process.

Getting better though. Last cook was about 3 hrs and basket worked flawless the whole time. I added a little more lump in the beginning just so I'd have a good coal bed. Also a little more judicious about adding more splits at a regular interval.

More a management of the fire itself thing. I let the wood and coals basically completely burn down to ash. I'm only about 4-5 cooks into using an offset so it's still a learning process.

Getting better though. Last cook was about 3 hrs and basket worked flawless the whole time. I added a little more lump in the beginning just so I'd have a good coal bed. Also a little more judicious about adding more splits at a regular interval.

I think the trick is to add a small enough split that won’t spike your temp to high while still having a coal bed. Remember, the bigger the split the higher the temperature and bigger the spike.

It's all a learning curve. Don't wait on temperatures to fall before adding a split. Just keep looking at that fire. Plus its an excuse for me to sit in the garage and let the wife deal with the kids while I cook :heh:

I think the trick is to add a small enough split that won’t spike your temp to high while still having a coal bed. Remember, the bigger the split the higher the temperature and bigger the spike.

It's all a learning curve. Don't wait on temperatures to fall before adding a split. Just keep looking at that fire. Plus its an excuse for me to sit in the garage and let the wife deal with the kids while I cook :heh:

These are both great pieces of advice which I am adding to my understanding through trial/error.

Originally I was waiting until temps drop to add a split. Problem is the dam smoker/basket is so efficient there's not a lot left to light the next split. Continuing to play with when to add another split but about 45 minute seems to work pretty well.

I am still coming around to the smaller split strategy. I totally get what you are saying though. I fell victim to the large split = large temp increase at the end of my last cook. Hadn't consciously processed why it happened but that makes sense.

This wood fuel cooking is a big departure for a BGE guy. There are so many more variables to account for. A good understanding of the mechanics of whats going on and then ability to change strategies based on different parameters seems to be the key.

I imagine for seasoned smoker guys this becomes second nature after a while. For new guy it's quite the learning curve.

All I can say for sure is I'm enjoying the heck out of the challenge!

Last edited:
I bought a lsg vo in 2015
24 inch with the warming oven
I did get the basket for coal but
To tell ya the truth this thing is
Sooo easy to run on splits that
I haven't even considered using
Coal.
Best cooker .

Im doing my first cook with the LSG Fire Management Basket today and so far I am really impressed. My vertical offset is normally fairly idiot proof to cook on and somehow this basket makes it even easier. The coal bed gets maintained without really having to do anything and I think overall Im having to use less wood.

Quick follow up after using this basket all day. This is a great addition to any LSG offset and I highly recommend one if you are thinking about getting one.

I looked at the measurements and I think that this booger might work on my Lang. It would cost me about 1/4 of what I paid for the cooker itself, but it is intriguing

Back