THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sliding_billy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
)
It has been a LONG time since I went really low & slow on a brisket. I was more interested in playing with the kamado and trying to hold a really low temp for a long time than in playing around with brisket cooking methods, but... I had a small packer (10 pound Walmart select) that I could fit in the ceramic without getting too creative. It fit straight across the raised rack with a drip pan on the main rack and still had lid clearance. Figured if I was going to do it long I might as well do it without any trim too. Out of the bag, rinsed and dried, rubbed and on the smoker. Now for the rough part... I started it at 7:00AM yesterday. The majority of the cook was between 230 and 240, but at about the 9-10 hour mark it needed air to keep from dying out so it ran around 250 until 12 hours. I finally lost the fire at around 13 hours, and it wasn't probing quite right yet. I brought it inside and put it in a half sheet pan on a rack and foiled the pan. Into the oven for another 1.5 hours at 250, and it was done. Held in FTC until after I woke up and worked out. Nothing like brisket for Sunday breakfast at 6:00AM 23 hours later. Two things of note. 1) I really like properly rendered fat better than trimming. There was not a single inedible piece of fat left after slicing this morning. 2) To all the people who refuse to buy select meat and/or meat from Walmart, thank you that is more for me.

I am sure that my impatience will get the best of me and I will resort to hotter cooks (especially in the offset where the indirect heat is less damaging to the meat and where tending the pit for 13+ hours is less than ideal), but I could get used to this under 250 stuff when cooking on the kamado or pooper.

I am a hot and fast guy for the most part. Have been wanting to go low and slow whenI get the time. Your brisket looks fantastic. Thanks for the pics.

Nice job! Just goes to show that no one way is the only way. If you can cook then it doesn't matter. I have had some Wal-Mart selects come out pretty darn good this summer. Think I still have 3 left from the $1.67 sale.

Great looking brisket! Looks like you got a good smoke ring using your kamado which I'm hearing is not very easily done.

Thanks Y'all. Yeah, the smoke ring is a lot different than the stick burner. I think the slow cook helped a bit as the outer meat was very soft and absorbent for a long time.

Brother it looks really good. Did you use an electric knife to slice it? I really love some brisket and yours looks great.

Brother it looks really good. Did you use an electric knife to slice it? I really love some brisket and yours looks great.

No, that slicer that you see in the 1st pic did all the work. I absolutely love that knife, but it is only a 9.5" blade so sometimes I use it for part of the brisket slicing and a 12" for the wider spots. This packer was small enough to use just one knife.

Great bargain too...
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rada-Cutlery-R111-Brushed-Aluminum/dp/B0077RNXO4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1413154949&sr=8-7&keywords=rada+cutlery+slicer"]Amazon.com: Rada Cutlery R111 Ham Slicer, Brushed Aluminum Handle, Made in USA: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11b%2BhDqagRL.@@AMEPARAM@@11b%2BhDqagRL[/ame]

Back