THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Right on Q

is Blowin Smoke!
So I've signed up for a "Tell-All" class from Mike and Debbie Davis of Lotta Bull BBQ in March.

My questions to all of you are
What should I expect out of this class?
What should I be looking for to step up my scores?
What's the best way to get the most out of this class?

Some other questions I have are about Mike and his classes in general. I've seen posts in years past about his "Technique" class with many people saying they learned a great deal. What will be the difference in the "tell-all" vs "technique" class?

I'm excited for this class and ready to learn from one of the more successful cooks in the last 20 years on the circuit. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.:pray:

Last edited:
A "technique' class will give you the how to part of cooking, some will include timelines. A "tell-all" class will give you his recipes,timelines,boxing, meat selection,etc. Most cooks will also give you tasting in this class. All questions be will answered.

I looked at Mike's website, he's gonna give you everything. Take good notes, go home and practice right away, follow up with him if you have any problems. It should be a great time, your learning from a top quality cook and a great person.

My suggestions - Go in with an open mind. Forget what you know and you think you know (during the class). Soak it all in. Re-write your notes the day after class. Ask lots of questions, but don't slow down the pace of the class.

My suggestions - Go in with an open mind. Forget what you know and you think you know (during the class). Soak it all in. Re-write your notes the day after class. Ask lots of questions, but don't slow down the pace of the class.

Good advice... Also find someone in the class who you can exchange e-mails or phone calls because everyone catches something different.

BTW, which class did you sign up for? I think he's doing two or three at different locations.

BTW, which class did you sign up for? I think he's doing two or three at different locations.

I signed up for the one in Ridgeland, MS. Even though it's pretty close to our first contest of the year it's worth it to learn from such a good competitor for only $300.

Anybody going to the Ridgeland class this weekend?

My wife and I are going to be in town early afternoon Friday and would love to meet up with any brethren.

So I've signed up for a "Tell-All" class from
What's the best way to get the most out of this class?

I'd suggest at least one trial run where you cook the meats exactly (or very closely) to how it is taught. I think the tendency is to adapt the recipes to your style or to use part of the recipe. And that's certainly fine. But to get the most out of the class and really understand what is taught you should try to cook the recipes straight up at least once.

I'd suggest at least one trial run where you cook the meats exactly (or very closely) to how it is taught. I think the tendency is to adapt the recipes to your style or to use part of the recipe. And that's certainly fine. But to get the most out of the class and really understand what is taught you should try to cook the recipes straight up at least once.
Excellent point pitmaster Hart! I've always adapted what I've learned at classes, and not often enough tested exactly as presented. We all have different cookers, so there's that, but excellent point.

Back