Looks like Shirley Fabrications has a new smoker coming to the market

How this transpired is….there’s a market for it and I told Tyler well over a year ago that we were going to eventually need to enter that part of the market…. We have built a few over the years but not like this one… a customer ask me if I could or would build one a d I said absolutely… many people who have cooked on direct flow just can’t seem to get the hang of reverse flow for some reason and prefer a direct flow cooker….. I love reverse flow and always will I feel like to the best of our ability we have perfected reverse flow….with the direct flow cookers with the taller stacks and such in the last couple years it seems like he market has been good… is it a fad …… I have no idea … I mean in Texas it has been popular for years…again so here we are…. I’m finishing the cooker today and will have videos out soon…. As far as price point … models… all that is to be determined when I sit down with Tyler….sure there’s will be things we see and change on the cooker as we move forward but on this one I think we did well… the way our stack folds is different as is some other areas ….. moving forward we will adjust as needed…. To remain fluid in the business…. Yes steel prices are insane…. I’ve been in the business 40 years…. Never has it been like this, and we live 4 miles from Nucor’s mill in Tuscaloosa and have many contacts….this insane state will run not later part of next year is what we are being told….you will soon see the 3/8 thick pipe fire boxes on some of our 36 reverse flow models

Great feedback Paul. Any thoughts on how this exact design would work if it was a reverse flow (I.e, keep the giant stack on the side but flipped)?

many people who have cooked on direct flow just can’t seem to get the hang of reverse flow for some reason and prefer a direct flow cooker…..

Is it really fair to say they "can't get the hang of it"? As if reverse flow is better but those direct-flow guys can't figure it out how to use it properly?

Because they are saying the exact opposite - RF is great if you need to smoke as much meat as possible with minimal effort. But if you're willing to put in the time to perfect your craft, direct flow produces a better final product.

Is it really fair to say they "can't get the hang of it"? As if reverse flow is better but those direct-flow guys can't figure it out how to use it properly?

Because they are saying the exact opposite - RF is great if you need to smoke as much meat as possible with minimal effort. But if you're willing to put in the time to perfect your craft, direct flow produces a better final product.

Funny thing is I was under my welding hood yesterday and was pondering what I posted…. And the thought hit me that I prolly worded it wrong because someone would say or think exactly what you did…. So to clarify….I’ve sold reverse cookers to some guys that were use to general offsets and they had a more difficult time using the reverse flow than they did the direct flow…some caught on some never did… is one better than the other??? I’d say that’s in the eye of the beholder… does one produce better Q… I’d say that’s a question that would have to be answered by the cook and the folks eating the food…there are guys winning competitions on drums… Jambos… Lang’s.. Shirley’s…so I hope this clears the air.. or a least makes the water a little less muddy….. love reverse flow because I am extremely successful cooking with and selling them…. If there is a market for another style cooker (general offset) that I’m willing to build I’d be a fool not to consider it… just to broaden the horizon for us…just in the last three years look at how many people are breaking into the direct flow market…Several!!!!… I’m sure I’ll have one in my on arsenal soon!!!

I'm definitely interested in this. I've strongly been considering the workhorse 1975 but if they can keep this on the same price range I am definitely going to strongly consider the Shirley.

Thanks for the explanation behind venturing into a new style pit. I am sure you and Tyler will make really fantastic direct flow offsets and they will be extremely successful with long waiting lists.

Paul is right. I've helped a few figure out their reverse flow.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'm kind of puzzled that it's suggested a direct flow is easier to use. My first Shirley was a 24x48 reverse flow. It was a Cadillac on cruise control and required almost no learning curve. I'm guessing if I went to a direct flow I would be a BBQ legend because the reverse flow was the easiest wood cooker I've ever used.

Back