Looking to upgrade my kettle...

Brahern02

Name or Nickame
Brendan
So I have a 2001 weber 22 inch that I’m looking to replace. It was in rough shape when it was given to me and it’s in rougher shape now. I’ll keep it for backup when I need extra grilling space, but want a new daily driver. Im trying to decide if I should get a master touch or an sns kettle. I love weber stuff, but the sns is sharp. I do have a slow n sear already, along with charcoal baskets and a vortex. I’ve been looking at the master touch premium, but I’m not totally sold on it. Does it really matter? I do like both. The sns has some nice little upgrades like the probe port. I believe the hinged grate is stainless steel also. But the MT is sharp too. I wish I could just get one of each, my wife won’t go for that though.

A couple main drawbacks to the sns is that it’s not the same dimensions as the Weber kettles. So accessories like a rotisserie won’t fit, but I don’t see myself getting one anyway. A big edge the Weber has is longevity. Weber kettles last a long, long time. The sns is a newer product, so time will tell. Appears well made though.

Thanks guys!

I'd just replace it with a new kettle. I miss mine all the time now that I gave it to my brother in law

Maybe upgrade to a Weber 26.75" kettle? I love the room and versatility of the 26'er (and I do have the SNS for it too). I absolutely love it as a daily driver. Comes with a stainless grate and you can get a roti from Cajun Bandit that is a perfect fit.

IF (and that's a big IF) I had the choice to keep one Weber product...it would be the 26.75" kettle. No question.

If your 22 has a solid bowl and isn’t rusted out then hot rod it with SS sweeps, ash catcher, 10” wheels and Killa Grilla grates. Then get a 26” and add a med Vortex. You’ll be good to go and momma will be happy you didn’t drop a grand on that Assassin.

Attachments

• BE998B0F-137F-4F7F-A52F-DAFBB04537F7.jpg
    BE998B0F-137F-4F7F-A52F-DAFBB04537F7.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 262
Define "rough shape". If the grates are rusted out, they can be replaced. If the base and lid are grungy, they can be cleaned with a bit of elbow grease and a razor blade. The legs and lower triangle can be cleaned up with steel wool.

I rescued my 18" kettle from the neighbor's trash pile a few years back, vintage 2002 if I remember correctly. It was in rough shape but I spent time cleaning it and replacing parts. It turned out looking great.

Of course if you just want a new grill, my vote would be to stick with Weber and go for a 26.

Rough shape meaning the bottom is rusting. The area around the ash sweep. I changed the ash sweep and both grates this year. New ash sweep fits loosely because of the area around the hole rusting out. The old ash sweep was rusted in place and looks like someone beat it with a hammer to try to get it out. I ended up drilling it out. The legs are bent up a bit too. It was not cared for at all prior to me rescuing it. But for me to change every single part on it doesn’t seem worth it.

I’m going to keep it even if I get a new kettle. I won’t get rid of it until it’s ready for the scrap pile. But adding a new kettle is always a good idea, right? Like I should maybe only use it for low and slow because it’s so old and I might damage it, right? That’s what I’m telling my wife anyway. Hahahaha

It works and I’m going to keep

I’m going to keep the kettle and use it til it falls apart.

Maybe upgrade to a Weber 26.75" kettle? I love the room and versatility of the 26'er (and I do have the SNS for it too). I absolutely love it as a daily driver. Comes with a stainless grate and you can get a roti from Cajun Bandit that is a perfect fit.

IF (and that's a big IF) I had the choice to keep one Weber product...it would be the 26.75" kettle. No question.

Agree 100%!!

I'm waiting for weber to get more blue 26 inchers. I thought it said in stock last night but was busy, so went to buy it today, but was out of stock

i'm kind of hoping i misread last night instead of missed my chances

I'm waiting for weber to get more blue 26 inchers. I thought it said in stock last night but was busy, so went to buy it today, but was out of stock

i'm kind of hoping i misread last night instead of missed my chances

I've been trying to find a Weber 26 for a while now, at least a month. Everywhere I look it always says out of stock...:tsk:

I bought my first 26.75 Weber Kettle a couple weeks ago...... it has been life changing grilling and smoking on it.

I’d go for the S&S or a 26” kettle. You still have the old one even in rough shape if you decide to play with some of the accessories so I wouldn’t worry as much about then non standard size of the S&S (or the larger 26)

Btw, the old slow and sear will work fine in a 26” kettle.

So I have a 2001 weber 22 inch that I’m looking to replace. It was in rough shape when it was given to me and it’s in rougher shape now. I’ll keep it for backup when I need extra grilling space, but want a new daily driver. Im trying to decide if I should get a master touch or an sns kettle. I love weber stuff, but the sns is sharp. I do have a slow n sear already, along with charcoal baskets and a vortex. I’ve been looking at the master touch premium, but I’m not totally sold on it. Does it really matter? I do like both. The sns has some nice little upgrades like the probe port. I believe the hinged grate is stainless steel also. But the MT is sharp too. I wish I could just get one of each, my wife won’t go for that though.

A couple main drawbacks to the sns is that it’s not the same dimensions as the Weber kettles. So accessories like a rotisserie won’t fit, but I don’t see myself getting one anyway. A big edge the Weber has is longevity. Weber kettles last a long, long time. The sns is a newer product, so time will tell. Appears well made though.

Thanks guys!

When I was in the same situation as you, I ended up getting a 26 kettle. I went back and forth between getting a "nicer" 22 kettle vs the 26. Very happy I got the 26". You can do so much with it.

Back