THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaron.sterud

Found some matches.
So, my co-worker just built a new house, and wants me to cook for their friends and family when they are moving everything. Which is good for me, since I wont have to lift heavy things, due to the fact I have to watch the smoker. The issue is, I suggested pork butt, and do PP. What the co-worker got and dropped off tonight is Beef Loin Top BNLS Sirloin Butt 1/4 trim. HOW DO I COOK THIS. I have a go-to rub that everyone that has tried it, loves it. I have used it on brisket, pork butt, pork ribs, and even chicken breast, with good results. I am just wondering how I should cook this. Should I treat it like a big arse brisket? or like a pork shoulder? They are looking to eat at 1800(6:00pm) on Saturday, so I have some time to game plan this.

Cook at 225F until it reaches an internal temp of about 130F. Let it rest and serve medium rare.

Now, don't think that medium rare isn't barbecue. People in California have been cooking medium rare barbecue since at least 1769. People in Virginia have been doing it since the 1600s.

Not everyone in all eras had to cook brisket. Brisket is the toughest cut on the cow and must be cooked for a long time to be tender. But, rib roast and sirloin (which is pretty much what tri-tip is) doesn't need the long cook times. A good, tender, cut only needs cooking to medium rare or medium, at the most.

Good luck!

It's about 6 to 8 inches thick, I am going to cook it on my off set smoker, and it likes to run at 200 to 225.

You're probably looking at about 5-7 hours. Have a probe at the ready and monitor the temps during the cook. If it's looks like it will finish early, lower your chamber temp. If cooking too slow, run the temp up to 250.

Just did some nosing around and found that the Sirloin butt *might* have the top sirloin cap still on it. That's what is used for Picanha. You might want to section that off and just grill it.

That is a pretty tender cut. My go to for this type of roast is hit it hot (500 F) for 5 minutes (could do this in the oven) and then 200 F for 1 hour per #. I have a rotisserie for the Weber, so that would be my choice, same cooking instructions. I do the 500 F on the Weber, then shut it down till I can get set at 200 F, leave the roast going during the whole time. Smoke may not be your friend for this cut. I know I would be in trouble for ruining a perfect piece of meat, if I smoked it. Just S&P rub and hardwood charcoal.

That is a pretty tender cut. My go to for this type of roast is hit it hot (500 F) for 5 minutes (could do this in the oven) and then 200 F for 1 hour per #. I have a rotisserie for the Weber, so that would be my choice, same cooking instructions. I do the 500 F on the Weber, then shut it down till I can get set at 200 F, leave the roast going during the whole time. Smoke may not be your friend for this cut. I know I would be in trouble for ruining a perfect piece of meat, if I smoked it. Just S&P rub and hardwood charcoal.

16 1/2 hours might be a *tad* long for this cut at 1 hour/lb.

I agree with cooking to medium rare, just use a temp probe stuck in the center to see when you're there.

16 1/2 hours might be a *tad* long for this cut at 1 hour/lb.

I agree with cooking to medium rare, just use a temp probe stuck in the center to see when you're there.

Been there, done that!:wink: Unless your probe is wireless, it won't work on the rotisserie.

So after a long night, with little sleep, but lots of reading of different forums, I went to SAMs club and got a few pork butts. I spent the same amount on pork butts as my co-worker did on the beef, with the left overs going to them. Then I cut the beef into 3 parts and froze two of them. I will serve PP samies and also cook the 1/3 piece of beef I left out of the freezer. I talked to my co-worker about this, and the reason why she got the beef was she did not see the pork butt. So as long as my PP turns out like normal I should be good and not have the lose face on this burn.

Back