THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nielubow

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hi All-

I am new to the forum. Just started using a WSM 22.5 after playing around with a 22.5 Weber Kettle for a few years. My question is in regards to getting the prized thin and blue smoke. It seems like I need a hotter (smaller - in order to keep the overall temp lower) fire with more airflow to get combustion leading to thin blue smoke. Problem is, the only way i can get more air is by propping open the charcoal access door about 1-2 inches. I already have top and bottom vents 100% open. When I do this, I see a small flame on the wood chunk and blue smoke ensues. However, by doing this I am losing smoke out the charcoal access door, and the access door is not secure, so has the potential to fall. Can anyone offer any advice on how to achieve proper airflow using a better method than what I described above?

Thanks

I agree with HM. When my 22 is running clean, I barely / rarely see any smoke. Hold your hand over the top vent for a couple seconds and then smell it. You should be able to smell the smoke...

I agree...I would worry more about the smell of the smoke as long as it doesn't smell like something bad is burning. Good smoke smells like someone is cooking.:-D

I have used both charcoal and lump hardwood started in a chimey. I've also started burning the wood chunks in the chimney to get it going. I put boiling water in the water pan. The white smoke lasts until the wood chunk has burned to a coal.

The mod you reference only works for the WSM 18 as Weber changed the design of the mouth in the 22.5. Thanks for sending though.

Some Brands of Charcoal are gonna grey/white smoke plus any steam from water pan and large cuts of meat. I'm usually getting White Smoke more than TBS or none but it's lighter than the Heavy startup smoke. The end result is what counts - if the Food tastes Good I don't care if it's Purple, Pink, Yellow Smoke coming out............:wink:

I think you may need just a little patience. It takes time to get to thin blue.

Also if you put your lit coals onto your flavor wood right off the bat it will smoke heavily at first once you close the lid and cut the air flow.

Smitty has good advice as well! What exactly is your process and what wood and charcoal are you using?

I get TBS after a while on my 22". I use Kingsford Comp and about 6 Western brand hickory chunks around the outer edge of the charcoal ring.

I agree that you'll get a little more white puffy when a chunk lights off, but that's never made bitter smoke for me, and it doesn't last long.

I agree that you'll get a little more white puffy when a chunk lights off, but that's never made bitter smoke for me, and it doesn't last long.

Yeah, I'm thinking it may be a thin white smoke, not the thick, acrid, billowy white smoke you get from an inefficient fire in a stick burner.

Frankly, I'm to the point with my WSMs that I load them up with ROCS, add 3 or 4 fist sized chunks of smokewood, light them Minion Method and put the meat on as soon as they hit temp. I don't even look at the smoke anymore.

Back