Looking for a small charcoal grill that requires the least effort...

I cook for 2 adults and a 3 year old on a weber 22 all the time. It did not feel too big, especially with 2 zone cooking.

Sell your large kamado joe for a medium sized big green egg. I had one for a month before trading up to a Kamado Joe classic, and I really miss how incredible that BGE was. It lit super fast, temps were super predictable and it churned out amazing food. You could light the coals without a chimney and it would be at whatever cooking temp you needed in less than 10 min. Way more enjoyable than cooking on a gasser.

I don't necessarily regret my switch, but the Kamado Joe is just a a little more hands on than the medium BGE.

However, I do agree with you on the little Weber Q though. Before I started kamado cooking I was using that thing almost every day. Its a great little grill.

I have a Smokey Joe Silver, but I did make a charcoal basket for it, and I also have the tamale steamer mod, and a heat deflector in case I want a small traveling smoker in addition to a grill.

7Mhwg.jpg

I don't think that would be any easier (in terms of cleanup and use) than my existing full-sized kamado.

You're probably right. It would heat up quicker is about all.

Hate to say it, but sounds like you may want to just consider a bigger gasser. To me charcoal is charcoal. No matter the grill you still have to handle coal, wait for it to heat up, and tend to ash.

With my XL BGE and weed burner torch, that's about as easy as it gets. If you don't have a torch you may consider getting one to use with your kamado and see if that changes things for you.

You already have what you need. Just remove the middle section from your WSM.
Wa-La.!! Magic.

22" Weber One Touch Gold, a chimney, and a package of those Weber fire starter cubes.

Easiest setup and cleanup you can get in charcoal.

Get one of the Joe's, and a large Weber chimney. You'll never look back. Sounds like you already have the big grills you need. Get a small one and be done with it.

Cleaning a Smokey or Big Joe will be heaps easier to clean than a big kamado. I just take my 14" over to where I want to dump my coals and flop it over. Do that with a big ceramic. Mine is also about 6 years into a salty/humid environment and I'm at least that far away from replacing any of the grates. And the body is in perfect shape after all this time. Can't go wrong for the price.

The Weber chimney full is typically ready to go in about 20 minutes.

Get one of the Joe's, and a large Weber chimney. You'll never look back. Sounds like you already have the big grills you need. Get a small one and be done with it.

I've seen a few people mention the Joe, but nobody has mentioned the Weber Go Anywhere grill. Is there a reason for that? The rectangular grilling surface seems appealing in terms of usable space. And it seems to have well-placed ventilation openings.

I'll be the lone dissenter and recommend the Raptor grill. It is the most clean- hands mini charcoal grill ever. Especially if you just use briquettes. Brilliant design.

I'll be the lone dissenter and recommend the Raptor grill. It is the most clean- hands mini charcoal grill ever. Especially if you just use briquettes. Brilliant design.

I gotta say I think you're on to something. Just checked it out on you tube and it's prety slick. Might just have to toss the "hard to keep going" smokey joe premium and pick up one of those.

I gotta say I think you're on to something. Just checked it out on you tube and it's prety slick. Might just have to toss the "hard to keep going" smokey joe premium and pick up one of those.

I like a lot of things about that Raptor grill -- seems like the Weber Go Anywhere in style but easier to clean after use and then re-use the remaining charcoal. BUT, I read this review online that states that it heats unevenly because the bottom and top vents are both in the center, so the charcoal away from the center doesn't get hot in the same way. That seems to make sense, doesn't it? It's odd to me that the manufacturer wouldn't have addressed that. The Weber Go Anywhere, for example, has multiple vents so you can direct airflow. I'm tempted, but...

easiest way to deal with charcoal hands is to wear the surgical gloves when working with the lump or charcoal. make sure no embers going........

use the same gloves when prepping the meat. eliminates a lot of hand washing when jumping in and out of the cabinet or drawer.........

t

Weber Go Anywhere. Great high heat cooker. Not so much of a low and slow tool. I have done burgers, kebabs, chicken, bacon wrapped banana split, and I plan to work on more portable easy recipes for camping and traveling. Also did sausage and I plan to try steak. Best burgers I have ever had were cooked on my Weber go anywhere. Love this little grill. Clean up is simple. Just foil the bottom of the grill to keep the grease from sticking. Fast shut down. Search Phubar and Weber go anywhere if you want to see what can be done with a wga. His threads are the best resources for understanding what can be done with one.

I love my jumbo Joe. Portable and easy to clean and store. Bought it for grilling at the lake but find myself using it at home. My daughter is learning to grill on it as well.

easiest way to deal with charcoal hands is to wear the surgical gloves when working with the lump or charcoal. make sure no embers going........

use the same gloves when prepping the meat. eliminates a lot of hand washing when jumping in and out of the cabinet or drawer.........

t

But Tom.... if you used the same gloves you used for arranging charcoal when doing the meat prep wouldn't you wind up with some pretty grimy meat?? :mrgreen:

Sorry man, couldn't resist. Hope all is well.

I have a Traeger Texas, a Weber 22" kettle, a Weber Go Anywhere, and a Camp Chef Griddle. The WGA gets more use than all the others combined. I rarely cook for more than three people; and it's perfect for that.

Back