THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I am cooking (on a 22” WSM ~ 275-300) two pork shoulders (for pulled pork) followed by beef ribs (10 x 4-rib plates) – enough for about 40 people Sat night. Because I am working on Friday, I am going to cook the shoulders 8pm Friday evening to 8am-ish Sat morning, then beef ribs 9am Sat – 3pm Sat, for a 6pm serving. This gives me some leeway if the shoulders hang on a bit longer (ribs seem like clockwork at 6 hours).

Now, I know I could cook the pork the weekend before and chill, or freeze, but I don’t want to do that, I want to hold the shoulders whole (not pulled) from Saturday morning, to late Saturday afternoon, then reheat a tad if necessary, pull and serve. This would give the beef ribs about a 2-3 hour hold and the pork shoulder a 10 hour hold. I have held both of these for 3-4 hours before and it works well, but not 10 hours holding pork shoulder.

A couple of questions:
1. If I foil wrap each shoulder straight off the smoker, wrap in two towels, then straight into a regular cooler (Rubbermaid/Yeti – one of those), stuffed with newspaper to take up any spare space, would it hold OK at safe temps for 10 hours? Perhaps I should let it cool for 15-30 minutes uncovered, before wrapping and then holding (see 2. below)?
2. I assume the pork will continue to cook for a while, particularly if wrapped straight off the smoker. I normally pull when probe says so, let’s say 204-208F. I don’t want it too mushy when I unwrap it, so what IT should I take it off – 190? 185? I suppose I could do a full shoulder the weekend before and trial the 190F finish followed by a long hold – then I have absolute confirmation (or otherwise) as to practicality of this approach. This cook could then also be a reserve I have if more people turn up at the dinner than expected (which is possible!).

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance…

Back