THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

robertj062

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Hello to all. Been reading the forums for a while learning as much as I can. My question is to Lone Star Grillz insulated cabinet owners. Any one have any experience with the removable heat deflector for the firebox sold on the Lone Star Grillz website? What about the adjustable t-plates? I've been considering these two items for my cabinet. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I bought the removable heat deflector but not the t plates. I have only cooked with the heat deflector in, so I don't know the difference. Most of the early guys said it makes it use less water. I will use firebricks if I want to make a snake out of the charcoal. I am not sure they are any better except they keep the fire from getting to big

Thanks. How thick would you say the deflector plate is? Does it sit right on top of the fore box? Have you ever cooked without water using the deflector plate? Thanks again.

I cook with water. I usually cook with aluminum pans on the bottom rack to catch the grease. Makes it way easier to clean. I usually get my cooker up to temp and add the meat and wait for the temp to rebound before I fill it up with water. I usually fill it most of the way with water and let it ride the rest of the cook without filling it up again. It usually runs out of water about 3/4 of the way through the cook. This allows what little grease in the water pan to cook out and I can just scrape it clean. I have heard of people using sand as a heat sink, but I think that would be messy to clean up.

Back