THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beentown

is Blowin Smoke!
So I have a busy bbq trailer/catering business. We currently run a Shirley Fab 24x60 cabinet (warmer and elevated), Assassin Grill and a Humphreys Q'bed Pint. We had an order for a REALLY large cabinet to replace the Humphreys but a May delivery turned into, June, then July, to August and now the company isn't going to make the model we need anymore (Beyond pissed but that is another thread, maybe).

All this info just to ask... If you have a Pitmaker or Lonestar Grillz Cabinet smoker how has your paint held up? We have babied (cleaned all the time and kept under roof its whole life) the Humphreys and it looks terrible cosmetically. Any other feedback is also greatly appreciated. Things like temp differentials by shelf, warm up times, flavor profile compared to a stick burner.....that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I've had my LSG Mini since Aug. 2017 and the paint looks like new. There are no indications of rust or flaking anywhere. It takes about an hour to temp. up in the middle of winter, but it will hold desired temp. for the duration of the cook depending on the amount of fuel.
I can't compare the taste to a stick burner, but others have commented that it's very close.
Hope this helps.

I've had my LSG Mini since Aug. 2017 and the paint looks like new. There are no indications of rust or flaking anywhere. It takes about an hour to temp. up in the middle of winter, but it will hold desired temp. for the duration of the cook depending on the amount of fuel.
I can't compare the taste to a stick burner, but others have commented that it's very close.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the feedback. How are your top to bottom temp variances?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I didn't have a cabinet, but I had a Pitmaker Sniper. I've looked at a lot of pits, and I have never seen anyone who can touch the welding and paintjobs the guys at Pitmaker do. If they made a gravity fed, I would have gotten another from them in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the feedback. How are your top to bottom temp variances?

To be honest, I've never checked. I always use the built in water pan (3 gallons)
and cook between 200-250 degrees and have never noticed a considerable difference in the cook times of what is being cooked on the different racks.
When I want a higher temperature at the end of the cook I simply open the valve and drain the water out. This also helps in drying out the water pan and avoiding rust issues.

With as many units these two manufacturers produce I figured there would be more feedback here.

Anyone else?

My LSG large is less than a year old so I can't offer long term feedback on the paint durability - but superficially it appears to be as professional a job as any I have seen. I would think paint in general probably holds up better on an insulated box just do to less heat stress. Temp differentials are non-material in my experience. It does take a bit of practice to get dialed in on hitting your targets - especially when using an ATC. But overall I couldn't be more pleased.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't LSG paint their grills with high temperature paint? Pitmaker uses automotive paint on their insulated cabinets. I've never seen high heat paint not rust after a few years. Of course, it's easier to recoat.

If you're looking for a large cabinet you might want to check out Cascade Smokers. When I was at his shop he had a few huge cabinets in there he was building. In regards to paint I'm certain that all his are powder coated which in my opinion is more durable than paint.

Pitmaker Paint

I have a Shirley and a Pitmaker vault. I've had the vault over 9 years, Paint is perfect , maybe slightly faded, but looks great. It has been left outside in Snow as well... No rust outside AT all... Amazing. Also, the automotive paint is fine because the vault is so well insulated, that you can touch your face on the outside while it is cooking and hot inside. Easily one of the best built cookers out there. I feel lucky to have Pitmaker and Shirley in my arsenal... 2 very high quality units.

From what I have seen of the pitmaker vaults, they seem awfully hard to beat and extremely well made. Pitmaker isn’t real popular on here for some reason? If I was in the maker for a cabinet, they would be at the very top of my list for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a large LSG IVS and the paint is top notch. Smoker has been left out in the elements for 2 years and has not faded a bit. Temp from top to bottom vary about 5 degrees. I usually use a temp probe on the middle rack for control and the temp gage on the door is almost right on as well. I went with the 7 rack option, but I wish I would have asked Chris to space the rack to fit a large foil pan. They are just a bit too short to fit so I have to remove a couple of racks to cook with foil pans. That is literally the only thing I would change.

Edit:
You can fit 2 large pans on the rack, but the height between racks is too low.

Last edited:
Back