THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Tex

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Matt
Forgive me if this is not the place for this... however I couldn't really figure out where it would go.

Ok... I got my hands on an old homemade log splitter that was run by a gasoline engine and hydraulic pump... both were shot... I have access to tractors around here so I was going to convert it to where it hooked to the tractors hydraulics.. The ram moves freely and I got the control box working... but I made a mistake.. I didn't pay attention to where the hoses came from and went when I disassembled it...

Here is a picture I did in Paint with the ports as they are labeled... if anyone has any hydraulic experience... help!
ControlBox.jpg

a real pic would help, but usually the one nearest the load is retract, and opposite end is extend, with a little research i can maybe find an answer. ill look threw some of my school stuff and see if i can find a diagram. i took a pneumatics and hydraulics course

From what I understand tractor hydraulics operate at a lot less pressure than say a motor and pump mounted on your splitter. An 8 horse motor and pump will split wood better(more force) than a tractor. Not saying they don't work.

Take a look at the typical hydraulic circuit below.
This should give you a starting point.

the two connections beside each other (A&B) most likely go to your ram. One of the others goes to your pump, and one to the reservoir.

Attachments

From what I understand tractor hydraulics operate at a lot less pressure than say a motor and pump mounted on your splitter. An 8 horse motor and pump will split wood better(more force) than a tractor. Not saying they don't work.

They actually work quite well. My Dad has a 3 pt hitch splitter that he uses and its split a LOT of wood.

Also... to convert this, since I have access to tractors, which already have an engine and a pump.. its cheaper. All I need to do is get some new hoses and couplers... not a new pump, tank, filter, engine..
Would I like to have a gas powered splitter.. well, sure! That way I wouldn't have to borrow a tractor from the neighbors..not that they mind, they'll be using the splitter too I'm sure...
Not trying to re-invent the wheel... just making life easier. :-D

Back