THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I used to do a chimney with newspaper.....now I just partially fill the chimney, hit it with a torch and then fill the rest. I think it's much easier and less cleanup

I used to do a chimney with newspaper.....now I just partially fill the chimney, hit it with a torch and then fill the rest. I think it's much easier and less cleanup
Why not just use the torch to lit the charcoal in the cooker?

Why not just use the torch to lit the charcoal in the cooker?

That's what I normally do...Just light the edge of my charcoal basket but any partial burnt coals and wood chunks so I get good smoke right away. This also gives my food more smoke time because the food goes on long before it gets up to temp.

During college I worked in southern Colorado on a dude ranch. Every week we would pile wood in a 20 ft long Santa Maria style grill and pour kerosene on the wood and light it with a match. One week I had to run to town and grabbed the gas and kerosene tanks to fill them up. Being a 20 year old idiot at the time, I wasn't careful and filled the kerosene container with gas and the gas container with kerosene. After we got the horses in I rode up to the lodge to help the cooks fire the pit up. They had beat me to it and the Owner was sitting on the ground in shock because the gas ignition had burnt all of his facial hair off when he tossed the match. It could have been a lot worse, but from that day on I never use fuel to light anything other than a brush pile.

Back