THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have al old Traeger 075 that had the original 3 speed control switch, It lives on a covered patio and I just recently upgraded to controller for more control. Took about 10 minutes. Its an older one with a wood handle so yeah I wouldn't worry about longevity on a solid grill.

I think a lot of the parts are fairly easy to replace. At that point I guess it depends if you see a need to upgrade for newer features or more space, etc.

I think if you buy a PitBoss for $300 and it lasts 5 years, you did pretty well. Then if the board goes out, you can replace it for like $80 for a basic one. Also not too bad. Igniters are usually cheap.

Kind of like cars. Ours are both paid for. Mileage is getting up there on both, but we are super on top of maintenance and fixing things immediately. She is ready for upgrades, but we have to look at "well, what's it cost to fix this, vs starting with something else?" I love mine, and haven't found anything newer that I'd rather have.

For my smokers, I'll have mine at the junkyard the second it breaks, I'm obviously not thrilled with it. But, everyone has different standards :wink:

I’m nearly convinced at this point those are people who are never ever happy about anything! I started with a GMG (sold it but it’s still going) and moved to MAK and have never once thought there was a lack of smoke.

Mak people are definitely passionate about their cookers. The problem with Mak for me is with how it looks. I don't think most care about that, but I do have a wife who won't allow an "ugly" cooker to exist on our property. Beauty is, however, in the eye of the beholder.

I had an FEC 120 and thought it did a good job. You really wouldn't notice unless you were comparing it to something cooked on sticks.

I believe the issue with pellet smoke is that there is almost no moisture in a pellet. Even dry splits have some degree of moisture, and are going to put out more smoke as a result.

So, we end up trying to control smoke with a stick burner while we do everything we can to generate smoke with pellets. :shrug:

Mak people are definitely passionate about their cookers. The problem with Mak for me is with how it looks. I don't think most care about that, but I do have a wife who won't allow an "ugly" cooker to exist on our property. Beauty is, however, in the eye of the beholder.

That's why I got the 1 Star. I think the other models are ugly. But like you said. The eye of the beholder...

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I think a lot of the parts are fairly easy to replace. At that point I guess it depends if you see a need to upgrade for newer features or more space, etc.

I think if you buy a PitBoss for $300 and it lasts 5 years, you did pretty well. Then if the board goes out, you can replace it for like $80 for a basic one. Also not too bad. Igniters are usually cheap.

Kind of like cars. Ours are both paid for. Mileage is getting up there on both, but we are super on top of maintenance and fixing things immediately. She is ready for upgrades, but we have to look at "well, what's it cost to fix this, vs starting with something else?" I love mine, and haven't found anything newer that I'd rather have.

For my smokers, I'll have mine at the junkyard the second it breaks, I'm obviously not thrilled with it. But, everyone has different standards :wink:

Rather than junk it, I'm sure there is someone that would take it off your hands for a good price as there seems to be a lot of fans of that smoker. I've been there with Traeger. Twice. P. T. Barnum was in play obviously. I almost fell for the hype on this one. Twice. Glad I didn't. Sometimes it's best to cut your losses and take the L and move on. Sell it. Just my 4.5 cent (adjusted for inflation of course) opinion.

Thanks,

Robert

I have had my Austin LX over 4 years and no mechanical problems, does a great job even though the smoke profile is lighter than I would like, a pellet tube with some shag bark and pellets helps. repairs will be simple and relativity cheap as parts are available besides the manufacture, power goes out I have a generator lol

I get it, I couldn’t bring my self to buy a recteq if I had to, I just can’t get past the horns.

Had an 11 gmg that only had one issue. Not sure where it lives now. The wheels did go to crap.

I bought one of the first IQ5 FEC-100's from Cookshack back in 2013. In the last nine years I have had to replace the ignitor once (three years ago) and that's it! My plastic on/off knob is fading, but I bet I could fix that with Foverever Black for Auto's. I do keep it covered, but it just keeps going cook after cook after cook. No regrets even though it was a lot of cash at the time.

I love my PB 820. I literally got it on clearence at lowes for $250. Modified the crap out of it. Now its a hybrid pellet assist stick burner. I keep it covered and its still going strong 5 years later not a speck of rust on it. Only rust is is on the heat shield.

I have two, first one I bought is a GMG Jim Bowie. I’ve had it for over 8 years. It’s survived a 10 foot drop off my deck in a hurricane ( had to straiten and re weld the chimney) I have had to replace the igniter and fan. Also my 6 month old border collie decided that the wires on the control panel were a tasty treat and destroyed all the wires connecting the control board to everything. So it’s been thru a lot but I’d still ( after lots of fixes not related to the quality of the grill ) worked well.
The other pellet grill I have is a Pit boss nascar tailgater. It’s been great for small cooks no issues with it yet. I’ve had it for 3-4 years so far. The main thing I would tell anyone who’s looking to buy a pellet grill and have it last for years is to clean the pot out after every few cooks and don’t let the pellets get wet and freeze!!! ( trust me you don’t want to get up early to cook a turkey for Christmas dinner and find out your pellets got wet and froze in the auger and the bottom of the hopper!!)

I've been through a few pellet grills over the span of 15 years. And I've found that the failures come from the components, not usually the grill body, as long as you keep it protected from the weather. Protecting a pellet grill from weather (rain/snow) is crucial, simply because wet pellets swell like wet particle board and will create a messy auger jam that isn't easy to clear. I've learned that lesson the hard way. That said, there are many sources of replacement components available. Most, if not all, are generic parts from the same Chinese factories that are building the big name/market grills (Pit Boss, Traeger, etc). There are also "upgrade" parts that are higher quality than stock/factory parts from smaller vendors, like smokedaddyinc.com.

I upgraded the parts on my Traeger Tex Elite with components from smoke daddy. The the heavy gauge steel used for the heat shield and drip tray are great - no warping and the heavier steel helps even out the heat distribution. The auger motor... no noticeable difference. The PelletPro PID controller was a big improvement over the stock controller from the factory in 2013. But newer grills have similar features.

So can an inexpensive pellet grill last a lifetime? Sure. But you'll eventually need to replace parts. That will also be true of the high-end pellet grills. But you will likely get more life out of the expensive grill before something fails. And you will likely get better support from the mom & pop companies when they do. I recently acquired my Lone Star Grillz pellet smoker. Very expensive, but well-built, well-supported and very-well engineered. When you compare it to the top end Traeger grill, the price difference isn't that far off. But the build quality between the two is night and day - LSG wins bigly, in my opinion.

That said, here's my 2 cents on pellet grill durability:

- Center burn pots with long feed augers jam more often than side burners. Longer augers have to move pellets a longer distance. That's harder on the motor. Longer feed tubes accumulate more pellet residue over time, creating more drag on the pellets as they are pushed through that tube, and thus making the motor work progressively harder to push the pellets. I've learned this the hard way with my Traeger. Thus, shorter feed augers are less prone to jamming and are easier to clear. Does that make the center burn pot a bad design? No. But it is more prone to jamming, harder to clear, and benefits from an annual cleaning of the feed tube to remove the pellet residue (comes from cheaper quality pellets... and that's a whole other discussion).

- Keep your pellet grill dry. Wet pellets swell. Already said it.

- Clean out your burn pot regularly. Ash buildup will degrade the airflow in the pot, making it burn less efficiently. Also, as I've learned recently, some brands of pellets have more mineral content than others, and will leave a mineral-laden ash in the pot that needs to be cleaned out more frequently (before each cook on my LSG). I experienced this with Knotty Wood pellets. They are all wood (no fillers, oils, etc). But they include the bark. Bark has more minerals in it than the wood. Great pellets. But a little extra maintenance may be required. Take home: clean your burn pot, get to know how different pellets burn in your grill... some pellets leave more ash residue than others.

- Keep your smokestack clean if you have one. Grease can condense and accumulate ash and smoke particles in the stack, resulting in a sludge buildup that will restrict the airflow. Pellet grills need airflow... constant airflow. Choke the stack, choke the grill. Solution: clean the stack when needed, or replace if you're not motivated to clean. A generic Traeger stack is around $20.

- Ash in the grill body, not the pot: not a big deal. It settles and doesn't impede airflow. Clean it out periodically. Clearing the burn pot is more important... much more important.

Can an inexpensive grill last a lifetime? Yes. Take care of it. And replace parts when needed.

Back