THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fitting eight would be tight but possible.
22butts1.jpg

It would slow the airflow down a bit which would make for a more humid cook.

And that is where i was getting narrow minded. I didnt think about tying them. That would work fairly well. Hope no grease fire from all that pork fat if a person decides to do 8!

The fact that you want to occasionally cook for large groups of people makes an IVC a good choice although a lot of them may be out of your price range unless you can find a good deal used.

A kettle with the SnS would also be an option but I would probably get the 26" because the SnS takes up half of your grate space for indirect.

I first started smoking on a WSM and made some good food on it and they run a long time on one load of charcoal set up minion method. The 18" is kind of limited in space for the bigger meats or a lot of it.

Good luck on whatever choice you make.

Hi folks. I apologize for not posting the budget. I would like to stay under $1k. Anything cheaper makes the wife happy, so I’m definitely open to a lot of the things mentioned. I will answer more when not on my phone. Thank you so much for the responses.

Chico, CA, BTW

If cost is an object, then UDS shoots to the top of the list. I also like the wsm and kettles, but a UDS can be built with all brand new parts for $80 or so. It will put out world class food, two grates will give you lots of space for large cooks, and they maintain temp well.

you could even spend an extra $200 and get a heater meter then it becomes a truly set and forget cooker.

Hey Folks!

(EDIT: item sold already...darn)

Again, I'll post more later...but this popped up on CL...

WSM 22", 2 years old and "used 4-5x" (looks it, really). Cajun bandit door, as well as a nomex gasket kit(new in package). It will also come with the rubber probe gasket.

$300/obo.

Worth the 2.5-3hr 1 way drive to go get it?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/for/d/weber-smokey-mountain-22/6633251993.html

Last edited:
akorn and pit barrel cooker would be my choice with those parameters. Pit barrel for smoking akorn for grilling especially with your interest in big green egg the akorn is 300 and would be a good introduction to a kamado style cooker if you really like it buy a ceramic after the akorn burns out.

Hi Everybody

Thank you so much for the guidance. Though I'd love to afford to get a insulated cabinet, I think the suggestions of UBS or WSM + kettle make the most sense. So, I'm starting to scour CL and we'll see what comes up. When my next block of time comes available, if no WSM comes to fruition, I'll build a UBS. There is a $200 used WSM about 90min away that would be good.

Looks like the 26" kettles are hard to come by on CL, but I'll scour there too.

Thanks so much. I look forward to getting something and posting a cook and getting feedback. Great site you have here!

The UDS is a good choice. After trying several smokers, I built a UDS, and have never looked back. It's really easy to keep a constant temperature. With a $1K budget you can probably purchase one already built, plus something else. Good luck!

Back