THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
This is from PBC's Facebook page:

Pit Barrel Cooker Co, LLC, the world’s leading premium vertical barrel cooking brand, agreed to settle a lawsuit concerning Pit Barrel’s confidential business information and trade secrets filed in the United States District Court for the District of Colorado in December 2015. In the lawsuit, Pit Barrel also alleged that the Barrel House Cooker infringed upon its U.S. Patent (No. 8,919,334).

The lawsuit was resolved on May 25, 2018 with the entry of a joint stipulation to dismiss the case. As a part of the settlement, Barrel House Cooker, LLC and its parent company M.D. Manufacturing, Inc. of Bakersfield, California agreed to make a financial payment and then future royalty payments under a licensing agreement.

Pit Barrel’s President Noah E. Glanville stated, "We're pleased with the results that we achieved in this case. We will continue to defend our innovations and intellectual property which simply cooks some of the best food you’ve ever tasted, with no hassle. Amber and I appreciate the support of our loyal customers and the dedicated fans of the PBC."

I talked to Noah this evening and he is very happy with the settlement and said again how much he appreciates the support of the BBQ Brethren.

Last edited:
I guess that’s good news if Noah is satisfied. Sounds like future royalties means BHC is going to be paying him a percentage for a while.

I still wouldn’t recommend one. And will tell everyone who asks that BHC is a cheating thief who lost in court.

I hear they make nice vacuums though. Maybe Noah should look into that line of business.

Its sad how long out legal system works. But at least Noah got a settlement he was satisfied with.

Nice.

I don't begrudge anyone who owns a BHC or goes that route, but based on what I know, I'd by the original, even if PBC gets a cut

Ignorant person here: It seems like UDS cookers are available from multiple sources all over the country. What's the big deal about this one?

Long story...lots of history in the threads. Summary is this.

PBC comes first.
PBC owner starts growing too fast...approaches vacuum cleaner manufacturer about building the PBC for him. Shares plans.
Vacuum cleaner owner steals plans, cancels deal with PBC owner. Builds his own called BHC.

Courtroom antics ensue...

Now the settlement shows the BHC guy owes the PBC guy a bunch of $$ up front plus more royalty $ for units he sells going forward.

the end.

Interesting, thanks. Justice served, apparently. I have never paid a lot of attention to UDS-type products. Is there something unique about this one?

Interesting, thanks. Justice served, apparently. I have never paid a lot of attention to UDS-type products. Is there something unique about this one?

Most people would say no to your question. However, Noah put a lot of R&D into making a cooker that requires no adjustment to the intake and is not necessary to monitor cooker temps (although several owners still monitor temps). That meant testing and making adjustments to about 29 prototypes before evolving into what we now know as the Pit Barrel Cooker. Barrel sizes, intake diameter, exhaust hole diameter, coal basket size and several other factors were considered and tested from what I understand. I think the PBC has been around long enough and has gained a reputation as being an outstanding cooker. It's hard to find someone who owns one or has cooked on one and doesn't like it. Sure, it can be duplicated at your home DIY factory. Sure you can replicate it pretty well with an 18" WSM and a hanging rack. So to most people it's not unique. But to owners of a PBC?...well I'll just say it's hard to get one to give up their cooker for sure! :thumb:

Last edited:
Long story...lots of history in the threads. Summary is this.

PBC comes first.
PBC owner starts growing too fast...approaches vacuum cleaner manufacturer about building the PBC for him. Shares plans.
Vacuum cleaner owner steals plans, cancels deal with PBC owner. Builds his own called BHC.

Courtroom antics ensue...

Now the settlement shows the BHC guy owes the PBC guy a bunch of $$ up front plus more royalty $ for units he sells going forward.

the end.

Nice recap! Way better job of reporting than anything I have read on CNN or Fox any time recent. :clap:

Attachments

• what-we-have-here-is-a-failure-to-communicate-quote-2.jpg
    what-we-have-here-is-a-failure-to-communicate-quote-2.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 573
I thought both of you were joking?

Going to take a wild guess and this animosity stems from a comment i made about a certain youtuber that posts vague threads to profit from clicks. Not saying this individual doesn't provide interesting, and sometimes helpful information, its just bad form the way said youtuber does it.

If Noah reads this I would just like to say I never knew he was from the 502. He's probably a North Mustang fan. Me, I'm South, Go Dragons!
Another drum can never hurt. I may have to look into a PBC.

So we're not joking? Just when i thought i really knew Bob...:heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So we're not joking? Just when i thought i really knew Bob...:heh:

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

299vld.jpg

Going to take a wild guess and this animosity stems from a comment i made about a certain youtuber that posts vague threads to profit from clicks. Not saying this individual doesn't provide interesting, and sometimes helpful information, its just bad form the way said youtuber does it.

Please make it stop, not this again!!

Back