THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
I was at Restaurant Depot the other day and they had whole lambs and goats on display. No pigs though.

Years ago I remember Q'd some goat ribs. I remember them being good, but greasy. Anyone have experience Q'ing whole lamb or goat?

Thoughts? Tips? Tricks?

David

I was at Restaurant Depot the other day and they had whole lambs and goats on display. No pigs though.

Years ago I remember Q'd some goat ribs. I remember them being good, but greasy. Anyone have experience Q'ing whole lamb or goat?

Thoughts? Tips? Tricks?

David

often in the past, unfortunatly photobucket took most of my pictures
how do you want to cook them
spit or spreadeagled on a grill,direct over coals( my prefered way )

^^^I remember seeing some great lamb cooks from this farker right here!

I've done 'em both on a rotissirie. Loved the lamb - gotta take 'em way high in temp to finish, unlike when you cook 'em in parts, which I prefer rare. Looking forward to doing it again. Good idea to check in with what Greeks do - those are some lamb cooking farkers, as are Aussies and I'm guessing Kiwis are too.

The goat was OK, would try again more out of curiosity. I'd look to Mexico and the Carribean for guidance on that, although I'm sure there are plenty of other cultures that cook goat - just not sure who they are but I would love to hear about 'em. I'll bet Frances Mallman has some good stuff to say about cooking either one. Cooking animals over fire is awesome, and even if the first one doesn't turn out perfect, it's fun as hell.

I've cooked them in pieces, and spun the whole ones. On a spit they have more crowd appeal, but need way better fire control to get the correct doneness. Notice we have fewer coals under the loin area, and a fair amount under the shoulders and neck. When cutting a whole animal for serving you need a better understanding of how to break it down. Cooking quarters gives you much more control when cooking, and if you need to wrap, that's an easy step.

hpCREim.jpg

JfDur1q.jpg

TfOIGie.jpg

bm6rVeZ.jpg

Sounds like bragging when I comment that was there when Greg (gtr) did a goat and a lamb (two separate SoCal bashes). I remember preferring the lamb but there was always so much amazing food (and drink) at these bashes that memories are blurry.

Pretty sure I just contributed diddly squat to this thread so let's just say I'd do a lamb first. Think Greg had this giant roll of pita bread for the lamb

Titch said:
often in the past, unfortunatly photobucket took most of my pictures
how do you want to cook them
spit or spreadeagled on a grill,direct over coals( my prefered way )

There's an annual Greek Festival in New Orleans. I used to always look forward to getting a plate of their spit roasted lamb.

I am thinking of trying to cook one indirectly butterflied on my Shirley.

The bigger problem I have right now is finding enough mouths to feed.

Back