THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MeatyOakerSmoker

is Blowin Smoke!
Hello

I am planning on attempting my second pig roast in my La Caja China shortly. I would say the first one was pretty much a disaster, edible but not very good at all. I injected it with a Cuban style mojo but for whatever reason (maybe too much garlic?) think the flavor was a little bitter and yet overall bland. It was my first time making mojo as well so I could have just botched the marinade leading to an overall poor end product. Or maybe I need to find a new whole pig supplier? It was a little guy about 60lbs live weight.

Anyway, I'd like to redeem myself so I'm turning to the experts aka you for help. Can anyone help guide me with some tips and tricks, any recipes you're willing to share, or experiences with the La Caja China?

I'm not sure if just looking up how folks do whole hogs will suffice but if so do let me know!

Thanks
Sam

I'd skip the mojo injection. If you want to inject, try using Chris Lilly's injection with the salt cut in half.

IMNSHO, you could just rub with some peanut oil and liberally salt the hog in the cavity and on the skin.

I've done a couple. Not sure how the bitter taste developed, its not getting any smoke or charcoal fumes inside the box. Maybe because it was new you were getting fumes off the new box material? If you're worried about the mojo, perhaps you should buy some instead of making it? I have a great latin supermarket near me that has some great mojos. Also, we cross hatch the skin side and heavily salt it. That helps make incredible crackling skin.

I have had great results in a Caja China. Maybe try a larger pig if you have the large model, I've gone as big as 75 pounds dressed weight with lots of fat. Had to shove the feet in but it worked.

- The La Caja China mojo injection tastes great and is available on Amazon.

- Start with a ROOM TEMPERATURE PIG. If it's cold or partially frozen it will not cook properly.

- Hit the meat side with course salt and your favorite rub before cooking.

- Follow the charcoal instructions exactly. Too much charcoal early on brings too much heat and you can scorch the surface of your pig creating a bitter flavor.

- After your third hour go ahead and dump the ash when you add new charcoal and keep an eye on the ash level. Ash acts like insulation keeping heat out of the box, so if you don't dump it will add hours to your cook.

- I cook skin side down a little longer than recommended before flipping as it's much easier to pull the finished pig.

- Dump ashes again and add fresh charcoal when you flip the pig for the final 45 minutes or hour, and really score the skin with a sharp knife when you flip and you will be rewarded with Pig Candy!

Largest pig I've cooked on the #2 was an 89lb'r and we had to cut the head off and roast it in the cavity. It just keeps getting better each time I use it.

Done them with and without Mojo and we seem to like the flavor of the Mojo. I mix some with a brine mix and inject, strain the solids to rub in the cavity. Salt the skin and let it try to come to room/ambient temp before putting in the box. Follow the cooking instructions to a T, and season the meat with salt or Adobo seasoning before serving.

Here is the last one we did for my son's wedding rehearsal dinner in June-it was spectacular!

https://www.facebook.com/116187658462391/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1075290019218812

Back