THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most likely.

Sooo... your ideas are to 1.) Boycott or 2.) Go elsewhere? Maybe some of us care about KCBS more than that. :rolleyes: Both of your ideas involve giving up or quitting. I'd prefer to have board members just like George and Guy and a couple of others mentioned... ones with some experience that will work together to solve the problems and right the ship. Sounds like a lot better plan than stupid boycotts or walking.

Running again Jeff ? We need someone like you in there.

I'm going to play typical American Voter.

I'm going to vote for who has the most signs, commercials and money.

I will NOT educate myself on who might be the best candidate, nor who is running against any incumbents. The incumbents have the best name recognition and the best experience. I will not even think about giving an outsider a chance.

Most likely.

Sooo... your ideas are to 1.) Boycott or 2.) Go elsewhere? Maybe some of us care about KCBS more than that. :rolleyes: Both of your ideas involve giving up or quitting. I'd prefer to have board members just like George and Guy and a couple of others mentioned... ones with some experience that will work together to solve the problems and right the ship. Sounds like a lot better plan than stupid boycotts or walking.

Explain what needs change? Are you running again or did you just give up?????

Also my idea is not to boycott or go eslewhere. That is my idea for all the crybabies who just bitch about everything.

I have encouraged Jeff to run
He has a young family and the time needed to do the job
well makes it a difficult choice for them

What is needed?
The end of micro management by a few BoD members
The end of folks who put themselves first
The end of bickering
The start of working together for toward a established set of goals

My BoD / BoD Candidate questionnaire

• If you are running on change, what specifically needs to change? Name names, who needs to go and who needs to stay?
  • Do you have business relationships with any KCBS vendors or MMA?
  • Do you stand to profit from KCBS business?
    • If yes, will you recuse yourself from votes where you stand to personally gain?
  • List one major objective that you would achieve in your term - No platitudes please, be specific and list a quantifiable objective.
  • Where do you see KCBS going in 5 years?
  • Would you be willing to cast a vote to provide an audited financial statement for KCBS to the membership on an annual basis?
  • Please provide your thoughts on the following programs and their current success / shortcomings
    • KCBS Rep program
    • CBJ program
    • State of the KCBS education program
    • Current rules
    • TOY - both how it's calculated and prize distribution

My BoD / BoD Candidate questionnaire

• If you are running on change, what specifically needs to change? Name names, who needs to go and who needs to stay?
  • Do you have business relationships with any KCBS vendors or MMA?
  • Do you stand to profit from KCBS business?
    • If yes, will you recuse yourself from votes where you stand to personally gain?
  • List one major objective that you would achieve in your term - No platitudes please, be specific and list a quantifiable objective.
  • Where do you see KCBS going in 5 years?
  • Would you be willing to cast a vote to provide an audited financial statement for KCBS to the membership on an annual basis?
  • Please provide your thoughts on the following programs and their current success / shortcomings
    • KCBS Rep program
    • CBJ program
    • State of the KCBS education program
    • Current rules
    • TOY - both how it's calculated and prize distribution

Fair questions, but I wouldn't expect any candidate to name names. Why would any candidate choose to single someone out if they could potentially end up working with them? It's bad politics, and bad business to go out of your way to intentionally promote animosity. The current board is polarized for a reason, and doesn't need any additional fuel on that fire. My .02

Fair questions, but I wouldn't expect any candidate to name names. Why would any candidate choose to single someone out if they could potentially end up working with them? It's bad politics, and bad business to go out of your way to intentionally promote animosity. The current board is polarized for a reason, and doesn't need any additional fuel on that fire. My .02

To me the problem is that you always hear rumor & innuendo - "A certain person said / did / whatever" and everyone is left guessing and wondering. If someone is doing something demonstrably inappropriate or detrimental, then the electorate deserves to know who. One of the biggest things lacking in KCBS management/leadership IMHO is public accountability.

Is there more to this than I know??? Are they volunteers? I have an idea, if everyone hates it so much why doesnt anyone boycot? People just like to bitch. Like BP, its the busiest gas station in my area but three months ago everyone hated them. Sometimes you just have to deal with what is dealt and if this is truly a business and you dont like how its ran, GO ELSEWHERE. Simple...

Unfortunately for those in the Northeast it's the only game in town. It's either go to a KCBS sanctioned contest or don't compete. Since they are the one and only why not try to make things right?

To me the problem is that you always hear rumor & innuendo - "A certain person said / did / whatever" and everyone is left guessing and wondering. If someone is doing something demonstrably inappropriate or detrimental, then the electorate deserves to know who. One of the biggest things lacking in KCBS management/leadership IMHO is public accountability.

That accountability should be coming from the BoD themselves, and not from candidates. I've heard a LOT of stuff just like you have. I'm willing to bet that neither of us has the evidence in front of us. If I were a candidate, and DID NOT have evidence that was verifiable I wouldn't be slinging arrows.

What is needed?
The end of bickering

Well said Thom,I agree,and I also agree with Ray that there is a problem even above the BOD as well.The "good ol boy" way of doing things behind closed doors should be stopped and when a few people can persuade most of the BOD into doing things, thats not good as well,and need to be stopped.People just say we are all just bitching and if we don't like it then quite,well PAID members have the right to question the BOD and the ENTIRE organization.I guess it would be the same if someone bitched about our goverment,and it's polocies,would everyone just say"too bad,just leave the country if you don't like it" foolish attitude to have about things.Listen in to a BOD meeting sometime and see if it doesn't more resemble Romper Room than any real organization.

What is needed?
The end of bickering
How about national programs rather than an education program for one school in KC.

Also how about rethinking the prize money for TOY. Did anybody see the report with the dollars???? 50K could do a lot of education.

How about more accountability for the BOD and the office? Monthly financials published so members can see them? Contract details made public.

That just a few of hte things I think need to happen to get the BOD to better representthe members.

Outside of Mike Budai, I believe ALL imcumbents should be voted out... this year, next year and possibly the year after, depending upon who is left from the current board. The reason I give Mike a break is because he has yet to actually be elected since he was appointed to complete Rod's term. It's time to simply clean house and start with a completely fresh group of people on this board.

Explain what needs change? Are you running again or did you just give up?????

Also my idea is not to boycott or go eslewhere. That is my idea for all the crybabies who just bitch about everything.

What DOESN'T need to change is an easier and much shorter list. And no I did not "give up". I'm in the middle of trying to accomplish a goal for 2010 and I don't see how it would be fair to my wife to bail during the home stretch to concentrate on a campaign after she has worked as hard as I have for eight months to accomplish our goals. In addition, my job is hectic and my blood pressure is inching up again. Is it worth my health? Would it be worth yours?

Matt, I understand your point but don't agree. You've had some success at competition BBQ that is well earned. You've been able to reap some of the benefits from the organization. Some of the things that you may appreciate about KCBS have been made possible by the work of others that felt contributing to the organization was worthwhile. If nobody gave a flip, where would that organization be?

Beyond that, paying members have every right to voice their opinion and/or bitch. It's no different than owning stock in a company. When KCBS accepted my payment for my membership I went from being a customer to an investor.

I firmly believe in the statement "If you don't vote then you have no right to bitch". I pay my dues because I think that KCBS, as a whole, is a very good thing. I also think that KCBS is not now (and probably never will be) the perfect organization. We, the dues paying members, have the right to elect representitives who will run KCBS in the best and most ethical way possible. And if they don't do so --- we have the right to replace them.

Well said Thom,I agree,and I also agree with Ray that there is a problem even above the BOD as well.The "good ol boy" way of doing things behind closed doors should be stopped and when a few people can persuade most of the BOD into doing things, thats not good as well,and need to be stopped.People just say we are all just bitching and if we don't like it then quite,well PAID members have the right to question the BOD and the ENTIRE organization.I guess it would be the same if someone bitched about our goverment,and it's polocies,would everyone just say"too bad,just leave the country if you don't like it" foolish attitude to have about things.Listen in to a BOD meeting sometime and see if it doesn't more resemble Romper Room than any real organization.

Not to disagreee with that if you pay dues and you have a right to question the BoD, but if you don't, doesn't the BoD still have a responsibility to you? It is not like investing in a company, because of the tax exempt status that exists there is a resposnibility to all taxpayers.

Now for those that want to complain, have you even done the most basic of homework?

Did you know that the total revenues for 2009 ($960,994) were up almost 50% over 2008 ($645,151) or that the net assets of KCBS increased by 30% during 2009(from $200,843 to $262,230)?

For reference, total revenues for 2004 were $342,261. So in 5 years, KCBS has almost tripled in size with resepct to revenues. I think that most would agree that is impressive growth, so the BoD must be doing at least something right.

In simple terms, KCBS is growing, either because of or in spite of its BoD.

As it grows it needs to think, act, and operate more like a for profit business while at the same time maintinaing and fulfilling its tax exempt purpose, at least until such time it decides to abandon that status. (The big question is who has teh best qualifications to do this.)

As a result of that, each individual dues paying member has less significance in the revenue stream, and there are other growing sources of revenue that must be maintained and nurtured and will have the BoD's ear, and teh BoD needs to be one that can be trusted to do that for the mutual benefit of all.

Now I've lost track of where I was going with this :doh: other than the right to complain isn't limited to dues paying voting members, and if you are a member and are going to complain, then at least deal in facts.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a dues paying voting member.

(FYI: Financial data presented above was taken directly from KCBS' 990 forms filed with the IRS.)

I am on a few mid-sized non-profit boards and I would say that about 98% of the time we get along well and maybe 2% of the time we have issues. That 2% is far more publicized than the 98%. Some folks will harp on a disagreement from months ago, forgetting all the good we have accomplished.

Someone asked to end of micro management, end of folks who put themselves first, end of bickering, working together, etc. I would venture that these are not the goals of the board, nor are they how the board runs, but are a small fraction of events that are not relevant to the overall running a successful program.

When I go to cook or judge at a kcbs comp my site is always clean and ready to go, the kcbs rep is happy to answer questions, the judges meeting goes smoothly, etc. What do I really have to complain about, the fact that I can't part my money muscle during cooking?

I have read 3 pages of posts and no one has cited specific examples of what they dislike about the current board. How about examples of micromanagement/bickering/putting themselves first. What has this BoD done to hurt KCBS?

I am on a few mid-sized non-profit boards and I would say that about 98% of the time we get along well and maybe 2% of the time we have issues. That 2% is far more publicized than the 98%. Some folks will harp on a disagreement from months ago, forgetting all the good we have accomplished.

Someone asked to end of micro management, end of folks who put themselves first, end of bickering, working together, etc. I would venture that these are not the goals of the board, nor are they how the board runs, but are a small fraction of events that are not relevant to the overall running a successful program.

When I go to cook or judge at a kcbs comp my site is always clean and ready to go, the kcbs rep is happy to answer questions, the judges meeting goes smoothly, etc. What do I really have to complain about, the fact that I can't part my money muscle during cooking?

I have read 3 pages of posts and no one has cited specific examples of what they dislike about the current board. How about examples of micromanagement/bickering/putting themselves first. What has this BoD done to hurt KCBS?

Have you listened to many of the meetings? I think that will suffice for evidence of bickering. Unfortunately I don't think they are archived. I'm sure there are enough members that would be willing to testify that it was ridiculous at best on far too many occasions.

As for mircromanagement it's pretty simple. Far too many issues go directly to the board because of their accessibility. If Cook A had a problem with a neighbor at a contest they shoot some email to the board, and the board ends up looking into it. What should happen is that the complaint should go to the office, where KCBS has a paid staff. The staff in turn can take the time to gather the facts, submit them and/or a recomendation and if the board has no questions there is a brief discussion and a vote if action is warranted. That's just one example.

I've served on several boards as well, and one in particular reminds me a great deal of what is going on with KCBS right now. Attrition, and member discontent led to a change over a two year period but it was unpleasant to get to the point where the board and the organization functioned smoothly and was able to really focus on what it existed for. I finished my term and ran out the door. In another case I served on a board that disbursed more in a year, in financial aid, than KCBS has ever earned in revenue. Six meetings a year and none longer than two hours, and rarely was a voice ever raised. MY experience tells me that it can go either way. MY experience also tells me that one way is more efficient and more productive than the other.

Have you listened to many of the meetings? I think that will suffice for evidence of bickering. Unfortunately I don't think they are archived. I'm sure there are enough members that would be willing to testify that it was ridiculous at best on far too many occasions.

As for mircromanagement it's pretty simple. Far too many issues go directly to the board because of their accessibility. If Cook A had a problem with a neighbor at a contest they shoot some email to the board, and the board ends up looking into it. What should happen is that the complaint should go to the office, where KCBS has a paid staff. The staff in turn can take the time to gather the facts, submit them and/or a recomendation and if the board has no questions there is a brief discussion and a vote if action is warranted. That's just one example.

I've served on several boards as well, and one in particular reminds me a great deal of what is going on with KCBS right now. Attrition, and member discontent led to a change over a two year period but it was unpleasant to get to the point where the board and the organization functioned smoothly and was able to really focus on what it existed for. I finished my term and ran out the door. In another case I served on a board that disbursed more in a year, in financial aid, than KCBS has ever earned in revenue. Six meetings a year and none longer than two hours, and rarely was a voice ever raised. MY experience tells me that it can go either way. MY experience also tells me that one way is more efficient and more productive than the other.

You keep this up... It won't just be me and Todd pushing for "El Jefe in 2011"!!!!

I'll talk with Michelle... After she gets that new Maroon thermapen... :becky:

I'll say this in reference to the BOD. The BOD are not what make KCBS flourish; we its membership make KCBS what it has grown to be.

Here is an analogy: Our politicians don't make this country great; the people make it great.

Now with the great membership we have, just imagine what the organization would be with a great board of directors.

I'll say this in reference to the BOD. The BOD are not what make KCBS flourish; we its membership make KCBS what it has grown to be.

Here is an analogy: Our politicians don't make this country great; the people make it great.

Now with the great membership we have, just imagine what the organization would be with a great board of directors.

Wow! I like you, dude! :-D I like the attitude and the truth that you tell. I have served on the BOD for six years and tried to get that same attitude across. There are people on that BOD that understand your philosophy that the membership matters. There are a lot of members on the BOD who don't understand this at all!

So I'm writing this to ask each member to VOTE. It matters. Know your candidates.

Back