THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

farmer-fred

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Tom
I mostly use KBB for my smoking along with hickory or apple chunks. I am wondering if I start my cook with KBB and instead of adding more briquettes when I need to extend the cook time in my smoker would adding lump help with the bad smoke from starting fresh coals? Just some thing I was wondering as I plan on doing a large pork shoulder on Sunday. I will start it around 11:00 pm using the minion method. I have a Q Master to control temp but I may need to add more charcoal to get it finished. I have always had good luck using KBB but since I bought some Stubbs lump on sale I thought I would try this. What are your thoughts. And please do not turn this into a Lump vs Briquettes argument.
Thanks

Lump definitely puts off less bad smoke when being fresh lit than kbb. Ideally, I would start the chimney of lump, and pour it on after they are glowing. If you just dump on top you will still get some not so great smoke, but much less with the lump.

I have started with lump and transitioned to briquettes. I started with lump for the higher initial temp to speed up the cook and shifted to briqs to extend the cooking time. Never had a problem with bad smoke. I'm guessing that because the briqs are preheated by the time the fire gets to them, they catch much easier.

I use the KBB but when I have to add more to the fire pit, I always light them in the chimney then add them to the pit when they are hot. Really cuts down on the white smoke they give off. Of course, I add wood as well.

I use the KBB but when I have to add more to the fire pit, I always light them in the chimney then add them to the pit when they are hot. Really cuts down on the white smoke they give off. Of course, I add wood as well.

This is what I did when I used to low and slow on the Weber with briquettes. I could also eyeball exactly what I needed to add to the kettle.

Just don't fire up the chimney on concrete!

Many brethren will tell you KBB is the devil's work and that lump is God's gift to man. So not sure how mixing them will work out!

Best of luck!:wink:

Many brethren will tell you KBB is the devil's work and that lump is God's gift to man. So not sure how mixing them will work out!

Best of luck!:wink:[/QUE]

Thanks,I am willing to bet that there is more KBB used for grilling and smoking than anything else. I am going to try mixing them to see how it works out. I think will start with the lump using a small amount 10-15 briquettes to get it going using the minion method with the wood chunks mixed in and when I have to add charcoal I will start the KBB briquettes in the chimney then add them. This will be my first real long cook on my Trail Embers smoker equipped with a Q Master temp controller so I will see how it works out. I will start the cook around 10:00 pm @ 225-250 temp and cook until it is done. I have a 6.5 lb pork butt and will shoot for 205 internal before removing it and allowing it to rest in a cooler. When I get up early Sunday I will throw in a couple of bacon wrapped fatties for breakfast.

Back