THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TonyBen

Knows what a fatty is.
I just threw on a 9 pound turkey (brined) on the new Rec Tec at 300˚.

This past thanksgiving, I cooked my last turkey (15 pounds) on my Traeger and I pulled the turkey (not spatchcocked) when the white was at 165 and the dark was at 175 and served it right away. It was beautiful and the white meat was great but as soon as we got to the dark meat, it was still bloody. I threw the carcass back on the grill until it wasn't bloody anymore.

Maybe I misprobed it?

How do I avoid that this year? How long do I need to leave it at finished temp, or was it that way because I didn't let it rest?

Thanks,

Tony.

Spatchcocked anything takes roughly 2/3 the time, and reaching the propper temps tends to happen closer together.

Tent with foil, and hold 20 minutes. Not for doneness, but to let the juices absorb back in. When you cut a piece of meat right away, the juices are still being pushed out, and you will lose much more.

If it temps right, it is done. You want to check your temps at the thigh joint, and make sure you aren't touching a bone. The bird will cook more evenly spatchcocked, and going to 180 to 185 won't hurt dark meat.

it could be a probe error but with spatchcock the thighs usually finish with the breast. maybe it was frozen down by the bone. also the dark meat on a smoked turkey can be a bit pink. if your not used to it then it can be a shock. or was it down by the bone? I know fast growing chicken will still have blood down in the joint even if up to temp, was that the case?

This was the first time my son in law has had one of my smoked turkeys. He was blown away at how the white meat melted in his mouth. I just passed on my Traeger to them but he’s yet to use it.

The dark meat caused his head to tilt back and his eyes to roll to the back of his head.

My sister in law is also visiting from Brazil and this was her first turkey dinner ever. She was very impressed.

Tony.

This was the first time my son in law has had one of my smoked turkeys. He was blown away at how the white meat melted in his mouth. I just passed on my Traeger to them but he’s yet to use it.

The dark meat caused his head to tilt back and his eyes to roll to the back of his head.

My sister in law is also visiting from Brazil and this was her first turkey dinner ever. She was very impressed.

Tony.

Aint a rightfull cook fun?
At my house those wings are mine..
Ed

Back