THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tatanka

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kevin
I've never had a very good meat thermometer. Now that I'm getting more serious about Q and have a WSM I like and that is seasoned/sooted in, I took the advice I received on this fine forum and ordered a Maverick ET-732 Redi-Check from BBQ Guys, including the grill clip and Meathead's magnetic meat temp guide. This should be a major upgrade. I really like the set and forget nature of the WSM itself once it's set up right and settles in to a temp, so prefer not even removing the top once until I know the meat is at wrapping point if called for or target IT if not.

Thanks again for the recommendations on thermos!:-D

Guess I'm out of excuses for not producing top flight Q!:redface::becky:

Iv'e had two of them for around 4 years, no trouble with either of them, except a probe here and there.

hope your work out as well for you, and they do help out a lot.

You won't regret the purchase one piece of advice don't try to chase an exact temp if you trying to cook at 275 and it wants to run a 260-265 or climbs up to 285 just let it roll.

Great tool if your dome thermometer is off quite a bit.

That's just it; I finally concluded that there was no way to know if it is off or on without having a known good thermometer. The WSM dome thermo was steady at 245F but my crappy ($6 and 10 years old) meat thermo in the dome vent showed 295F and both cooks so far have finished quicker than expected. Gonna be nice to be able to have confidence in what the Redi Check says the dome and meat temps are.

I've learned from y'all not to sweat where the WSM wants to run and also that probe tenderness trumps time or temp.

The dome thermometer on a WSM is worthless, well at least if you want to know the actual cooking temp at grate level, mine usually is around -30 give or take 10.

T, we are kindred spirits. I have the same setup and can say the Mighty ET-732 changed my BBQ would on the WSM. The dome thermo only lets me know if temp is going up or down these days.

Congratulations!

T, we are kindred spirits. I have the same setup and can say the Mighty ET-732 changed my BBQ would on the WSM. The dome thermo only lets me know if temp is going up or down these days.

Congratulations!

Thanks for the encouraging words. Hopefully it'll get here by Friday, as the weather here in Minnesota is to be FINE for mid-Feb (mid-40sF) this weekend and the plan is to smoke a chuckie on the lower grate and a rib rack full of babybacks on the top one.

Any particular reason why you went with the ET-732 rather than the newer ET-733?

I've had a ET-732 for years, but when one of the probes went bad recently, I opted to replace the whole thing with a new ET-733.

The ET-733 comes with the newer style hybrid probes and also has a longer effective wireless range than the ET-732.

You can get a new ET-733 for about $52 from Blinq right now. :thumb:

The dome thermometer on a WSM is worthless, well at least if you want to know the actual cooking temp at grate level, mine usually is around -30 give or take 10.

I wouldn't call it worthless, just another way to measure temp is all. I know mine is about 40 degrees off from the grate temp and if I don't use my Maverick, I adjust accordingly. As long as I account for the 40 degree difference then it actually is a useful tool.

Back