THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OK, here's an update:

I test fired it up today, and got the stone up to about 400 degrees F. Took about 20 mins and I gradually increased the gas flow slightly every 5 mins to increase the temp gradually. So far, so good! I would have attempted to get it closer to 700, but had to get back to work.

A few observations:

The temp of the stone closest to the vent was the coolest, but the rest of the stone was evenly heated. Glad I didn't try and make the vent bigger. I know this is why the pizzas will require a few turns while cooking so they are done evenly.

It should be plainly obvious that this is a potentially dangerous cooking method if you're not careful; that said, if you've never used one of these propane burners, be sure to follow manufacturer instructions carefully.

Next run will be with an actual pizza - stay tuned!

Moose, how is this working out for you? Any pics of your pie?

I haven't fired it up yet, but very well may do so this weekend...when I do, I certainly will post pics and results.

Great!! Have been looking at making a dedicated pizza oven/grill. Having trouble settling on a 22.5" kettle (wood fired like PizzaHacker/kettlepizza.com, or gas a la little black egg) or an extra drum I have laying around.

Can't wait to see how yours works for you.

A while back, someone posted asking about the pizza kettle, which led me to more research and finding info on the LBE. You might want to reconsider the pizza kettle insert after you read this review:

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/09/slice-tests-the-kettle-pizza-grill-insert.html

Seems like it has two problems:

1: The kettle top is too elevated for the top of the pie to cook as evenly as the bottom.

2: It uses a TON of fuel!

Have you found any good plans for a pizza hacker build? If so, I'd be interested in learning how to build one...

Anyway, I am committed to firing up the FrankenWeber on Sunday, so will keep everyone posted. I will be using the www.grilledpizzastone for the Weber as my cooking surface, BTW.

Great!! Have been looking at making a dedicated pizza oven/grill. Having trouble settling on a 22.5" kettle (wood fired like PizzaHacker/kettlepizza.com, or gas a la little black egg) or an extra drum I have laying around.

Can't wait to see how yours works for you.

what a great idea! i have a 22.5 rolling around in the shed and a large propane burner for brewing beer. This could be a fun project for the weekend!

i wonder if you could make a small version of this out of a smokey joe for use on a gas range top? might be a bit much smoke unless you have a decent range hood for venting.

what a great idea! i have a 22.5 rolling around in the shed and a large propane burner for brewing beer. This could be a fun project for the weekend!

i wonder if you could make a small version of this out of a smokey joe for use on a gas range top? might be a bit much smoke unless you have a decent range hood for venting.

quite a few people use the smokey joe as a SBE (small black egg). Heat up is much quicker obviously...pies are limited in size to 11-12 max...I kind of wish I used my smokey joe to do it instead of the 22.5 I used

As it happens, I saw his website when he stupidly had the plans posted. One of the key things he does is he cast a lid, using the Weber lid as his form. He originally cast the lid on the outside of the original lid, which made the handle somewhat useless, but, allowed for an insulated top that operated very much like a beehive-type wood oven. If you look at most wood-burning ovens, they have a beehive oven upper chamber, this creates a very hot air space above the floor. You can really think if these in the same manner as a coal-fired indoor oven.

He also has changed from this configuration, I have noticed that his original design has a series of thin cast blocks that formed the wall. His most recent ovens seem to have a more refined cast wall that surrounds the cooking stone. If you look at the photos now, and very much like when he started, the fire is at the back or side of the kettle, with a gap that appears to me to be at least 4" wide. He seems to be using a standard stone, pushed to the front of the chamber, i would bet it is probably a 16" round stone.

His original plans mentioned that he made the side and top castings from lightweight aggregate mixed into high temperature mortar, I suspect he is now using a lightweight high temperature refractory concrete. The finish being so clean, his working times suggest he is now using the proper materials for making the parts.

I think the real key is the insulated lid, figure out a way to create that very not air cushion above the pizza and you have a big part of the problem solved. I personally have been thinking along the lines of making a combination lid, 22.5 outside, 18 inside with the vents aligned and the 22.5 vent still working. Then using a high temperature foam insulation or light weight refractory cement with a perlite or petrified elk poo aggregate between the lids, all you would need is to weld a bottom flange to seal the insulation.

Back