Just cooked my best brisket

SkaterSmoker

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
MJ
This was my best brisket cook (I’ve cooked 18 in the last 5 months). I recently went on a Texas BBQ road-trip and this is the closest I‘ve been to that 1,000 gallon offset smokey flavor. This is a no fluff/straight to the point 4 minute YouTube video of my entire process, including video of me temping it at different stages. I really think this video can be helpful to some people out there just getting into cooking briskets, and I’m happy to share the knowledge I’ve gained. Let me know if you have any questions.

Video here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=2EhohirfRY8&feature=shares

Last edited:
Outstanding cook! That is one fine looking brisket! That is about how I do mine these days as wel…but I don’t think I’ve had one look as good as yours. I need to up my trimming game for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Any chance we can get a non Youtube version of this cook? Im just asking since we lost SirPorkAlot due to this Youtube craze where everybody is all about likes and subs. One thing we agreed on. :mrgreen:

Any chance we can get a non Youtube version of this cook? Im just asking since we lost SirPorkAlot due to this Youtube craze where everybody is all about likes and subs. One thing we agreed on. :mrgreen:

This video is the easiest way to illustrate the cooking process - video and voice are a great way to pack a lot of details in. Definitely take a look, it's not a "Mad Scientist commercial". It's only 4 minutes too. The goal of the video was to help other pit owners in other bbq groups I'm in who requested I make a video, not get subscribers or likes. I would be more than happy to email you the original video file so you don't have to open YouTube.

This video is the easiest way to illustrate the cooking process - video and voice are a great way to pack a lot of details in. Definitely take a look, it's not a "Mad Scientist commercial". It's only 4 minutes too. The goal of the video was to help other pit owners in other bbq groups I'm in who requested I make a video, not get subscribers or likes. I would be more than happy to email you the original video file so you don't have to open YouTube.

Pay no attention, he’s just stirring chit…

Perfect

Thank you for sharing your videos.
Perfect brisket!
Great video
To the point and very simple to follow.

Enjoyed the video, thanks for taking the time to make it and sharing. The graduated temp increase is a method that interests me, as is hitting it early with “dirty smoke”. One of the challenges I might have doing that is I’m often cooking multiple different kinds of meat that may or may not go on the smoker at different times, introducing a new variable.

Enjoyed the video, thanks for taking the time to make it and sharing. The graduated temp increase is a method that interests me, as is hitting it early with “dirty smoke”. One of the challenges I might have doing that is I’m often cooking multiple different kinds of meat that may or may not go on the smoker at different times, introducing a new variable.

Thank you! When I used to cook my briskets at 250 or 275 from start to finish, the flat would curl, and the edges/bottom would always be slightly overcooked, so I believe those low temps in the beginning combined with the slower draft/smokier smoke really helps encourage even cooking and a better end product. I've also noticed that once past the stall, if I don't really crank up the heat to 275-300, the fat cap doesn't get that golden color. So, those two factors make the graduated temp increase successful for me. With your smoker full of different meats, if somehow you can dedicate the first 3 hours for low & smokey, the last 2-3 hours for higher temps, and do anything in between, that would work.

For the dirty smoke, I used to run a super clean fire with the stack wide open and my briskets had very little smoke flavor. Using the 2/3 closed damper makes the fire struggle, creating gray vs. clear blue smoke. Also, I started using wetter 18%-20% oak, and that helped with chalkier smoke too. It's more labor intensive to run that type of fire for the first 3 hours, but the flavor on the end product was a night and day difference.

Last edited:
Thank you. I do have a question. At some point in your process of developing your method were you wrapping? At what point in the process did you stop wrapping? Or to put it another way how many of those 18 briskets were cooked without doing the wrap and how many of those came out well?
And another-what is your take on the difference between letting the finished brisket rest for three-four hours vs. twelve? And what warmer is that?

Back