THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Depot has their Embers brand 2-20lb for $9.98. For that price and it's made by Royal Oak I have to try it.

Home Depot has their Embers brand 2-20lb for $9.98. For that price and it's made by Royal Oak I have to try it.

By reviews, they seem to burn quicker than Kford...I use mostly briquettes for heat..Those Royal Oak doubles at Wallyworld for $8.88 are QUICK and nowhere as good as Kford...

By reviews, they seem to burn quicker than Kford...I use mostly briquettes for heat..Those Royal Oak doubles at Wallyworld for $8.88 are QUICK and nowhere as good as Kford...

It may be by RO, but it stinks. Literally.

Both Embers and Royal Oak "premium" briqs are the most godawful charcoal product I've ever used. Just horrible stuff. Absolute crap. :tsk:

Now I'm going to share with you how I REALLY feel about these briquettes!

:laugh:

I just got five hours out of a bin of Kingsford Mesquite infused briquettes. Cooker ran as high as 300 and was at 240 when I brought the ribs off and shut the vents. I love to experiment with coals- briq and lump. Bought some Viejo mezkeet today. Last three bags I had sparked like 4th of July but the aroma and clean burn made me buy 3 more bags. If I was firing up for 3 foot of coals I might think twice in an open pit. But my cookers and amount of lit- the aroma trumps the sparkling. I didn’t need it. I have 20? Bags of B&B Oak and mesquite. I wanted it.

Just the opposite for me. I was using kingsford original and it was terribly inconsistent and had way more ash buildup and terrible chemical smell the common kingsford smell. Gave 8 bags away after I took a chance of the $8.88 Royal Oak Premium twin packs. Burns hotter and longer and is way more consistent and don't use nearly as much per cook grilling or smoking.

I just got five hours out of a bin of Kingsford Mesquite infused briquettes. Cooker ran as high as 300 and was at 240 when I brought the ribs off and shut the vents. I love to experiment with coals- briq and lump. Bought some Viejo mezkeet today. Last three bags I had sparked like 4th of July but the aroma and clean burn made me buy 3 more bags. If I was firing up for 3 foot of coals I might think twice in an open pit. But my cookers and amount of lit- the aroma trumps the sparkling. I didn’t need it. I have 20? Bags of B&B Oak and mesquite. I wanted it.

Most of the mesquite charcoal I buy around here sparks like crazy as it lights. But, it's pretty darn good once the sparks die down. Love the wonderful aroma it gives off.

Both Embers and Royal Oak "premium" briqs are the most godawful charcoal product I've ever used. Just horrible stuff. Absolute crap. :tsk:

Now I'm going to share with you how I REALLY feel about these briquettes!

:laugh:

It may be by RO, but it stinks. Literally.

I can say after going through two bags I’m happy they’re gone. Yes they stink literally. Slow to light. Burn fast. Don’t let the reviews fool you. They’re no good!

Horrible stuff. Thick smelly smoke, the hottest I could get my Weber with them was 375 F and fast burn. Kingsford constantly burns up to 475 F for much longer. My pork butt Smelled like the Stinky smoke.

Back