THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was raised on Kingsford. Started with Gulf light or Kerosene. Dad preferred well done plus crunchy crispy. Occasionally I go back and revisit memory lane and grab a bag of blue. The Kingsford speciality coals with mesquite chips are really nice. But that blue bag dusts up a lot of burnt memories

I know most of the posts in here are referring to briquettes, but FOGO is having a 15% off sale with free shipping for orders over $60 if this helps any of you out..

Given the current environment and pricing of charcoal, I'd say Ember's is half-decent for a home cook, esp if it's just some simple grilling. For smoking you're gonna start getting into a lot of ash and quickly. I'd limit it to short cooks only (ribs or quicker). Embers produces more ash than any charcoal I've ever used, by far, so tread carefully there. I found a decent amount of little chunks unburnt after a long cook, and ash buildup was the cause.

I've been blue bagging it for years now with consistent results, even if sometimes they aren't the best. However I just got a Summit E6 and wanna give some lump coals a shot, starting with Jealous Devil.

Not a great deal like before COVID, but Home Depot has the two 20Lb. bags on sale for $17.88.

I’m down to a couple bags, so I picked up a few bags today. If they ever have the two bags for $10 again, I’ll jump all over it.

2226-B47-B-A2-B8-497-D-9-F3-D-E1-CD87480-D6-C.jpg

2-DBD9368-0097-4-C09-9-DD2-38-B44-E103696.jpg

Was raised on Kingsford. Started with Gulf light or Kerosene. Dad preferred well done plus crunchy crispy. Occasionally I go back and revisit memory lane and grab a bag of blue. The Kingsford speciality coals with mesquite chips are really nice. But that blue bag dusts up a lot of burnt memories

It’s funny how stuff like that works. I hated steak growing up because The only way my mom cooked steak was well done. I didn’t find out how good steak was until I grew up and moved out.

Costco just had the kingsford pro twin bags for around 16.99. Not sure if they are still on sale. I passed to wait and see if anyone does any better sales around memorial day.

Sadly, this has been the best deal around the past couple of years and I suspect it will be again this year. The days of BOGO are pretty much over.

Just returned from Lubbock. United has charcoal and pellets on sale. Open nature and B&B pellets,. Stayed strong bought no coals. Bride wanted a mini Texas waffle maker. HEB, stayed in car so I wouldn't be tempted to buy cooker fuel. HEB always has good coals reasonable prices. They even had brisket 1.77#. That was tempting but I just cooked a brisket and have a frozen packer in deep freeze. .

I wasn't an angel. But goal is no coals. So no coslsy

Last edited:
Just returned from Lubbock. United has charcoal and pellets on sale. Open nature and B&B pellets,. Stayed strong bought no coals. Bride wanted a mini Texas waffle maker. HEB, stayed in car so Zi wouldn't be tempted to buy cooker fuel. HEB always has good coals reasonable prices. They even had brisket 1.77#. That was tempting but I just cooked a brisket and have a frozen packer in deep freeze. .

I wasn't an angel. But goal is no coals. So no coslsy

You've set your sights too high with the coal ban. How long you think you can hang?

You've set your sights too high with the coal ban. How long you think you can hang?

I'm not sure. I think I can make it all year. 8.5 months remaining in 2022. I can cook on something. May just be lump toward Thanksgiving. I'm really not trying to conserve briquettes, lump nor pellets. I'm using what I want to right now with no worries. I can see running out of pellets before anything else as that's what I have least of, perhaps an inventory is in order. I'll post back here when I get it done

Back