(John) Lewis Barbecue, Charleston, SC

Cook

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jay
Finally got over to Lewis Barbecue this week. Many of you know John Lewis of Franklin Barbecue & La Barbecue fame. His migration to SC seems to be a success.

The place is set up in a somewhat classic Texas style...meats by the pound & served on butcher paper. In classic Charleston style...there's also a full bar.

We were there right during lunch. There was a short line, but they are set up to split it into two...so the wait was negligible. For the two of us we ordered brisket, pulled pork, pork ribs, & a link of hot guts. With all of that meat we only shared two sides...green chile corn pudding & pinto beans.

I'll go through these from least favorite to most favorite.

Pulled Pork: Not the best I've ever had. It was just a tad dry & not the most flavorful. Now mind you, it was better than some other pulled pork barbecue I've had...it just wasn't great, and our least favorite thing on the paper.

Pork Spare Ribs: Looked to be S&P and finished with some sort of sauce on the pit. They weren't "wet" but clearly had been sauced. Again, they weren't bad...just not the best. My wife didn't like them at all...said I had spoiled her. LoL (I'll take that crown from her any time she cares to give it...she also said it about the pulled pork.)

Brisket: Yeah I know...smack in the middle of the list! I could't believe it either! Again, it was good...and maybe some of the best that I've had. I just didn't feel it was "magical". It also wasn't the best thing we ate while there. Classic S&P...and from what he has said in an interview...coated with a mustard/pickle juice slather prior to seasoning. We had the point end, and for that I'm thankful. I doubt the flat would have been pleasing in the least.

Pinto Beans: Pretty straight foward pintos. Nothing particularly special in their preparation...but it had a little cilantro in there. They were some of the best beans I've ever had...and it feels strange to say they were better than the brisket, but they were. I'd eat a bowl...easily.

Green Chile Corn Pudding: As solid a corn pudding as you'll get. it's not cooked thick...rather it was probably around 1/2-3/4" thick. Dry enough not to run, but still just moist enough to be sublime. The green chilies made it. Easily one of the best non-traditional barbecue sides I've ever had.

Hot Guts: This is what makes Lewis Barbecue worth going to! Absolutely outstanding in my opinion. We both agreed that this was the best thing either of us ate. House made, juicy, meaty, fatty, perfect.

All-in-All...Lewis Barbecue gets a recommendation. If you want non-traditional barbecue in the Charleston area, this is where I'd point you. (and of course I mean non-traditional South Carolina barbecue)

It was pretty expensive, but that's to be expected for most anything Downtown Charleston. We probably won't go back for a while because of this aspect in itself...not because the food is disappointing.

But those Hot Guts...I'd have a link with pintos & corn pudding any day for lunch!

Good thing this wasn't a review of Franklin's or they would be getting the pitch forks and heading your way. :heh: I agree that he makes the best saussge.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

People from NC look at the Lewis menu and be like "Brisket?? What is this meat they speak of? Wheres the pork and Sweet Baby Rays sauce?" And looking at the reviews they all complain about price. They don't seem to understand you don't have to buy a whole pound. You can buy one slice of brisket and 1 rib if you want. You don't have to buy the whole pound.

People from NC look at the Lewis menu and be like "Brisket?? What is this meat they speak of? Wheres the pork and Sweet Baby Rays sauce?" And looking at the reviews they all complain about price. They don't seem to understand you don't have to buy a whole pound. You can buy one slice of brisket and 1 rib if you want. You don't have to buy the whole pound.

There's a local place here in Dallas that does beef dino ribs on the weekend. I knew how things work so I ordered one beefy bone and was charged $20 a pound. My bone was about $26.

The person next to me had a similar order but she was all ignorant. She ordered by the pound and was appalled when they had to cut off some of the meat so it would not go over a pound. Then she got all pissy because they did not break off some of the bone instead of cut down her beef. Who thinks like this?

Why did you decide to pick on people from NC? And why would you tie that together with some off-the-wall Sweet Baby Rays reference? And it is a bit pricey...$18/# for pork is excessive...but then I qualified that with reference to the Downtown Charleston location.

:icon_shy

Next time you go, make it a Saturday.

They cook beef ribs that day and they were farking awesome. $22 for one rib!!!

The hot guts are above and beyond.

Why did you decide to pick on people from NC? And why would you tie that together with some off-the-wall Sweet Baby Rays reference? And it is a bit pricey...$18/# for pork is excessive...but then I qualified that with reference to the Downtown Charleston location.

:icon_shy

I was just razzing. Again, yes $18 for a pound of pork is expensive but you dont have to buy a whole pound.

Thanks for the review. I hope to eat there someday, as well as many other SC & NC spots. A Carolinas BBQ crawl is high on my list of things I want to do.

Back