THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Okie Sawbones

Banned
Whipped up two jerk chickens and put them on my pellet pooper for an hour at 160 for a little hickory smoke. The rub:

2 tablespoons ground coriander
2 tablespoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon cayenne powder
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
2 teaspoons dry thyme
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons lime juice

I rubbed the chickens with the soy sauce and lime juice, let drip dry, then put on the run.

a7_zpsyv2fnzjh.jpg

Then I put them in the Big Easy until the breast read 170F.

a8_zpsdhwrob9x.jpg

And here they are, completed. They were tender, juicy, but no jerk zazoom! I think it is the smoke. Jerk chicken really needs the wood put to it. These just had too little smoke. In Jamaica they use GREEN pimento wood over coals, so you know it is getting some heavy smoke.

Now I am on a quest to recreate jerk chicken like Carole and I had in Montego Bay. I read tonight that real Jamaican jerk chicken needs to marinated in a Scotch bonnet sauce, which is made up of allspice berries, thyme, Scotch bonnet peppers, green onions, soy sauce, and sugar.

I am also going to cut up the chicken into parts next time. I hope this will let the marinade and smoke work better.

a9_zpsaelzcgzk.jpg

I like Mccormick carribean jerk seasoning. Theres a marinade recipe on their website that makes imo the best carribean jerk chicken. I like to make carribean jerk chicken kabobs.

Chicken looks great! Maybe not jerk, but delicious :thumb:

Here's a good marinade I use a lot. Put it all in a food processor or blender

Scotch Bonnets ( I use 8-10 Habaneros)
2 bunches scallions
Sm Yellow Onion
1 chunk ginger (bout an inch)
3-5 cloves Garlic
Fresh Thyme
2 1/2 tsp Allspice
1 tsp Black pepper
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon