THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longo1908

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey Brethren,
I’m thinking about switching to a stick burner for backyard use. I’m looking at both the Jambo Backyard and the Horizon 24” RD Special Marshal. Both are about the same size and price and weight. But living in NYC nobody has these up here. Looking for someone who actually owns one or has used one to give some solid insight or advice.
Thanks.

We have the 20" R.D. Special. The one and only mistake was not getting the 24", a mistake you will avoid. It has been a solid performer and a pleasure to use for ten years. The convection plate works very well in affecting the end-to-end temperature preferences of the cook. It has always drafted very well in all kinds of Oklahoma tornado-like winds. The fire-box grilling capability has been used much more than I ever imagined.

I've never used a Jambo, but have no reason to think it would not be a solid smoker.

I have seen both a backyard Jambo and one of the J-3 models (Tuffy Stone's pit) and they are exceptionally well built.

Horizion has a great reputation and I think you'll be very happy with either of these cookers. Their heat management system is pretty intriguing and it looks like it will allow you to use the entire cooking chamber with very few hot spots.

Truth be told were I in your position I would go with the Jambo. Just my personal preference but that doesn't mean much, though time frame might be an issue. Jame Geer (Jambo) is in high demand and last time I checked I think he was at about a 6-9 month wait... not sure how true that is right now though but it's something to consider.

Something else to consider is wood availability.. do you know where you can get a reliable supply of wood splits? Looking online most of what I see in your general region would have to be trucked in from CT. As long as you know what you're getting yourself into then good luck! Both of those smokers are "competition grade, lifetime smokers" and I firmly believe they will be fantastic.

Good luck!

Edit : Just now looking at the website and it does say the Backyard Model is currently in-stock. Not sure how up-to-date the website is though... certainly worth making the call first to verify before making a final decision.

Last edited:
The 2" Insulated Firebox, 3/8" Rear Door on Firebox, and 3/16" Metal Thickness in the Cooking Chamber are features I would strongly consider, especially where temperatures run much colder than Texas. Add the stainless shelf to the mix and I would have a hard time justifying to myself why the Marshall would be a better choice for my money. YMMV.

Back