THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Longo1908

Knows what a fatty is.
Hey Brethren,
I’m thinking about switching to a stick burner for backyard use. I’m looking at both the Jambo Backyard and the Horizon 24” RD Special Marshal. Both are about the same size and price and weight. But living in NYC nobody has these up here. Looking for someone who actually owns one or has used one to give some solid insight or advice.
Thanks.

I have never cooked on either one but, I have seen many Jambos at various competitions and talked to the owners and they can't say enough good things about them. Plus, the Jambo smokers look real sweet. Me personally, I would go with a Jambo, if I had the funds!!

I cook on a 30" Horizon and absolutely love it. I have also seen the backyard Jambos as well. You won't be disappointed with either of them. A couple of things to consider, the Horizon has a second shelf so you get more cooking surface. It also has a sliding convection plate to distribute the heat how you want it. The Jambo is pretty even side to side with how its built. I don't know if the backyard has the microwave shelf but it might. The Jambo also comes with an insulated firebox and s.s. front shelf. The cook chamber is similar in Horizon being 1/4" and Jambo 3/16" thick walls. The Jambo has 2 doors and the Horizon one so if you are wanting to do smaller hogs, you will fight the center part on a Jambo.

I have a Jambo Backyard and love it. I can’t imagine cooking on anything else for the family. I do use a Stumps Stretch to compete and also when doing large amounts.

I have a backyard jambo and it works pretty good but has a few quirks, I have not cooked on a big jambo so I don't know if the big ones share these quirks. I run 300 on the dial and 90% of the time I have to have the fire door cracked open so that it drafts properly and I like to have exhaust end slightly higher to help it draft as well. This is my first offset so it could be me doing something wrong. Or it could be at our altitude (4800 ft) it just needs more air than it was designed to flow. Long story short, if I was buying another offset I would look at other options than the backyard Jambo.

Back