I've already been told to say "They're great."

great topic. I would say "I am biased to my own cooking, but these are the best ones I think you have ever made" Polite and truthful as well :clap2:

It sounds like you have tasted his ribs before. So...when he asks, "How are they?" Just say, "Mmmmm....just as good as last time you made them." If he asks if they are as good as yours, just say, "Well, it wouldn't be polite for me to say mine are better, even if they were, now would it?" You're not lying....

Great idea, just say you forgot that you already took them out of the freezer and didn't want them to go to waste. :thumb:

Id have a cooler in the car with 3 or 4 racks ready to go. When he asks how is are you simply say, "wait a minute", and then break out your racks and give everyone a few bones. Instantaneous throwdown!

This !!! Sounds like this guy loves to rub this in your face. I would show up and put your ribs right next to his. Let the masses make the call. Maybe it might even wake him up and realize the error of his ways.

Just remember, brother, why you're there: " to celebrate Mother's Day weekend for my wife's grandmother." Save the challenges, etc. for another occasion and let the day be about the grandmother.

Then, before you leave, invite the uncle over for dinner in the near future and ask him to bring some ribs THEN pull out a few slabs of REAL BBQ'ed ribs.

Just a thought

Oh shoot. There is a simple solution to this dilemma. Just cross your finners (both hands just to make sure) and tell him they're the best ribs you ever tasted. Always works for me. You said it, but didn't really mean it. Your wifey heard it, and she knows you really didn't mean it. Your uncle heard it and who cares what he thinks anyway. Everyone walks away a winner. Cheers!!!

This !!! Sounds like this guy loves to rub this in your face. I would show up and put your ribs right next to his. Let the masses make the call. Maybe it might even wake him up and realize the error of his ways.

This is why I'm having issues with this. He's an opinionated jackazz that is one of those that knows more about everything than you do and can do whatever you do easier and better. THE ONLY reason my wife is adamant about just "biting the bullet" so to speak is because her grandmother and other family will be present.

I figure adults should know not to ask questions they don't really want the answer to. Is the guy really that childish that it'd be a scene if you said you still liked smoked ribs more? I can't picture a scene like that being anything but a chuckle and moving on.

I figure adults should know not to ask questions they don't really want the answer to. Is the guy really that childish that it'd be a scene if you said you still liked smoked ribs more? I can't picture a scene like that being anything but a chuckle and moving on.

This is a guy that can't go to a restaurant without sending his plate back. This is a guy that had the rocks to say to a vietnam vet while he was trying NOT TO talk about the war (in front of other people) "Did you get shot by friendly fire or something." Need I say more? :tape:

Dan has the best answer in #42, that is very good.

By the way, I cook my ribs in a special rib boiling pan I got from Great Lakes BBQ Supply and they are better than your ribs or his, I know it all. :-D

On a different note, I don't see why some people (women) think it is okay to tell you how to answer and what to say all the time just because you are married to them.

This is a guy that can't go to a restaurant without sending his plate back. This is a guy that had the rocks to say to a vietnam vet while he was trying NOT TO talk about the war (in front of other people) "Did you get shot by friendly fire or something." Need I say more? :tape:

Hes a One Upper I like to call them. Unfortunately I don't think anything you say or do is going to convince him otherwise. Once a tool always a tool.

Dan has the best answer in #42, that is very good.

By the way, I cook my ribs in a special rib boiling pan I got from Great Lakes BBQ Supply and they are better than your ribs or his, I know it all. :-D

On a different note, I don't see why some people (women) think it is okay to tell you how to answer and what to say all the time just because you are married to them.

You ever been married? :shock:

at least he's not boiling them. in the end, i would just say, "these are the best ribs i've tasted that you've made" and if he expects you to expound upon it more, just repeat it and then make a toast to the mother.

I would agree with your wife... Don't turn it into a pissing contest. He's happy with the ribs he makes. There isb no reason to bring him down or 'attempt' to do so. You are happy with the ribs you make too and it's easier to keep two people happy by humbling yourself than it is to prove yourself to someone else.

As a homebrewer, I often get the same situations. Why would I ever spend the time, money, and effort I do to make beer that Joe Sixpack doens't think is as good as Coors light? Why would I want to wait 3 or 4 months to drink a beer that I made rather than just popping into the local grocery store and buying a case of Bud Light?

It's all about what makes us happy as individuals. I can make beer that is good or better than any micro/craft beer that I can buy on the shelves. I know this and I'm happy with it. In the mean time, I'd like to keep my friends happy as well by avoiding situations where I might damage their self esteem.

Humbling, isn't it?

There is no accounting for taste :)

You ever been married? :shock:
No, I have not, one of the reasons, at least what was yelled at me the last time 'why can't you just do what you're told?' Or perhaps it was my response...'because what you are telling me to do is stupid':becky:

And no, there was no sex that night:mad:, cause there has to be talking and being in the same room for that.:hand:

I see a couple of problems. First, it certainly sounds like your uncle-in-law is a bit of a jerk. I can't help you there. The second is the commonly held belief that BBQ is the only food that is worth eating. When I go out for curry, say, I don't say to myself, "That was a lousy meal because it wasn't wood-smoked." I don't think that of many foods I eat. I have had ribs cooked in the oven with wine or sauteed in garlic and oil that have been outstanding. There are other methods of preparation. I have had lots of food, including some Thai take-out last night that was delicious. It was NOT BBQ. I do NOT confuse them or compare them with BBQ. They are different. I'm not saying you have to like these ribs or lie or whatever, but just try to eat them and accept them for what they are. Maybe you can enjoy some different tastes and textures that you don't get with your food. Don't try to compare and if you are asked to make a comparison, decline politely, "it is like comparing apples to oranges." To me that is completely honest and non-confrontational. Of course, if he insists on being a jerk after that, then be a little more honest. :becky:

It took me a very long time to appreciate things for what they are, and I am much happier as a result.

Last edited:
Blame the meat... poor quality ribs... where did you get them? They are all mushy / tough, whatever they are etc... You can really tell good quality ribs you know.....

Back