THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

akarpf

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Well it's been a few years out of the BBQ world but I'm so glad to be back. I miss the smoke smell and to good taste of really BBQ .

So for my return I bought me a Large Green Egg. And I have used it a few times now. And I'm going to try me a pork butt this weekend.
But the problem is the temp. I like to cook at 225-235 but I'm not sure if I'm not closing the air intake . I was going to see if it right it seems like I only need about a inch or a inch and half of opening.

And should I use the green egg lump or Charcoal in it. I have been using lump and hickory wood chucks. I have mesquite but my gf does not like the taste of it.

Like I said I have been off a good 2years and I'm trying to get back going again.

Welcome back to the sweet blue.

If I understand your question, you want to leave your daisy wheel totally open and control your temps with the intake. You may have no more intake opening than the thickness of a nickel if you use lump for low and slow smoking. You may not have more than 5/8" - 3/4" opening for hot and fast.

Last edited:
I find that I have better results using my daisy wheel to control the temp. It is usually closed down quite a bit. I leave the intake mostly open.

May I suggest Cherry wood. It really compliments pork nicely. It is currently all I use for all my smoking needs.

Back