THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
I am currently smoking what will be a 8 to 9 hour smoke for thin sliced chuck roast, it's one of my favs.

I was at the store yesterday and noticed when I got this 3 lb one they had other roasts like bottom and eye. Are these cuts where if you take it past medium rate will taste like cardboard? Like over cooking a tri tip? Or can go 200 plus long smoke with no issues.

For my chucks I used to pull but like sliced much better. I will get color on it to 150 more or less then wrap in butcher paper for hours and an hour rest.

No, the round cuts will not act like a chuck at all. As smoke ninja says, they should not be taken past medium.

IMHO, brisket is the best "alternative" to chuck. Better texture and flavor, and usually less expensive on a per pound basis.

No, the round cuts will not act like a chuck at all. As smoke ninja says, they should not be taken past medium.

Agree. Round roasts are a tight, lean bundle of meat and a much tougher cut compared to chuck. They are best cooked to medium rare, and sliced thinly against the grain.

Makes GREAT sammiches. :-D

Last edited:
Back