THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is not your pork!

is one Smokin' Farker
Some may have noticed the absence of the Austrian guy due to me having been on vacation, which resulted in two weekends without 'Q'ing, but I'm back and all I could think of this whole week was starting the fire on Sunday! :hungry:

I have been shopping yesterday, and most is already in place for the big event:

The largest "Brustkern von oesterreichischem Jungstier" I could get after placing an order on Monday with a weight of 12.97 lbs
01_brisket_12_97_lbs.jpg

Finally some un-iodized coarse Sal Marina Natural
04_sal_marina_natural.jpg

Genuine Italian Maccheroni (the only pure Macaroni without eggs)
02_maccheroni.jpg

Traditional Village Oak Cheddar (aged up to 18 months; the only one without food coloring)
03_village_oak_cheddar.jpg

Based on the info provided in CarolinaQue's famous thread and the report of Aaron Franklin's jiggling brisket on "No Reservations" I intend to rub the brisket only with salt & pepper (to be precise with 1 part Sal Marina Natural and 1/2 part of each black & white pepper), smoke it at ~250°F on the lower grate of my WSM with some Mesquite (by courtesy of fellow Brethren twinsfan) till IT hits 165°F in the flat, wrap it in parchment paper till done without much overcooking (in hope of not missing the right point in time again!), and let rest in the oven at 200°F for at least an hour before slicing without point/flat separation.

The brisket is intended for Sunday's dinner, so I'll start the fire Sunday morning.

The Mac-n-Cheese are intended for Sunday's lunch and will be my 1st Mac-n-Cheese ever, based on fellow Brethren twinsfan's super secret family recipe. The plan is to smoke these for about an hour on the upper cooking grate of my WSM till crisp on top.

What's still missing is a self-made sauce and a possible side-dish for the brisket. Any ideas?

Any thoughts about this Sunday's undertaking? Please share! :smile:

Nearly forgot, such a feast definitely needs a dessert as well! How about a blueberry cobbler to to be accompanied by self-made Vanilla ice cream? Oh boy, am I hungry right now! :roll:

:hungry:

Just my 2 cents but watch how much mesquite you use, it is a rather harsh wood. I prefer a mix of oak and hickory for brisket. It all sounds yummy - Good luck!

Yes, fat up when you wrap. I left mine down when I wrapped, but I normally put the fat up when I wrap. The bark seemed to be a little on the crusty/chewy side with the butcher paper. I think that keeping the meat pressed against the paper will help that from happening.

And I agree, use very little mesquite. A little goes a long way with that stuff.

13lb is the perfect size. I would not use mesquite as it's an advanced wood. Oak would be perfect.

I'd smoke it fat side down on a wsm and at 265-270 and wrap after 6 hours. Then take it to 203. Don't forget to add the worcestershire/water mix to the wrap.

Just my 2 cents but watch how much mesquite you use, it is a rather harsh wood. I prefer a mix of oak and hickory for brisket. It all sounds yummy - Good luck!
Less Mesquite, noted. I only have Apple and Mesquite ready for use, no Hickory at all, and Oak is still seasoning. No Apple for that beef, so only Mesquite remains.

Yes, fat up when you wrap.
Noted.

I'd smoke it fat side down on a wsm and at 265-270 and wrap after 6 hours. Then take it to 203. Don't forget to add the worcestershire/water mix to the wrap.
Indeed, totally forgot about the 50/50 Worcestershire/Water spritzing before wrapping. Thanks for the reminder!

It was not mentioned how much of that mix was used, so I guess a little spritzing with my small (salad oil/vinegar) sprayer on both sided would be fine?

It's a 1/4 cup if memory is right.
I would be much more inclined to use the apple over the mesquite. I used a 1/4 cup of worcestershire to 1 cup of water.
Ok, convinced, I'll use just apple wood instead, I really don't want to mess this up. twinsfan also mentioned not to put the Mac-n-Cheese on with Mesquite, so I'll save that precious wood for another occasion.

1/4 cup or even 1 1/4 cups look like quite some liquid. How to apply, and how does the parchment hold it?

1/4 cup may be reasonable if spritzed all over and not forming a lake at the bottom of the parchment. Right now I have no clue how much liquid fits in my little sprayer.

BTW After wrapping in parchment the bisket is put back on without any underlaying support like a casserole or aluminum dish, right?

In the past I did some unsuccessful experiments with this two-part enamel-coated casserole:
enamel_coated_casserole.jpg

The idea was to put the wrapped brisket into the larger part of this casserole (the smaller part to be used for the Mac-n-Cheese) to prevent any liquid leakage, which would also make it easier to move it from the smoker to the oven for resting, but I guess this somehow is not a good idea (and I don't know why).

Another thing that just came to mind: My parchment paper is just 15" wide, and I have no clue how I will do the wrapping with it.

Tim, is your parchment wider? And how many layers are still acceptable (will too much lead to the same result as aluminum foil?)?

Dang, I'm surely overthinking this... :twitch:

Watch for the type/amount of smoke on the mac n cheese. I did some smoked mac n cheese on the WSM last night...used 2 chunks of hickory and smoked for about an hour ~300*. Holy wow...it tasted like I was eating wood from a firepit....intensely smokey.

Next time, I'll try apple or cherry and only use half a handful or water soaked chips.

Don't let the mesquite scare you, mesquite goes very well with Beef, just don't over do it. Smoked makes a good point on the Mac n Cheese, you might not want mesquite wood for those. it may be really harsh. Last time i did veggies in mesquite it tasted like lighter fluid, no lighter fluid was used.

No way I would use mesquite, I would go with the apple. I really dislike dry mesquite for smoking.

Those salt crystals look huge in that bag, are they coarse sea salt? If so, you want to grind them down a bit.

Franklins uses oak. As do I.

If your oak isnt seasoned yet, you can probably dry it out by throwing your chunks on you top rack with a low heat.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Ok, convinced, I'll use just apple wood instead, I really don't want to mess this up. twinsfan also mentioned not to put the Mac-n-Cheese on with Mesquite, so I'll save that precious wood for another occasion.

1/4 cup or even 1 1/4 cups look like quite some liquid. How to apply, and how does the parchment hold it?

1/4 cup may be reasonable if spritzed all over and not forming a lake at the bottom of the parchment. Right now I have no clue how much liquid fits in my little sprayer.

BTW After wrapping in parchment the bisket is put back on without any underlaying support like a casserole or aluminum dish, right?

In the past I did some unsuccessful experiments with this two-part enamel-coated casserole:
enamel_coated_casserole.jpg

The idea was to put the wrapped brisket into the larger part of this casserole (the smaller part to be used for the Mac-n-Cheese) to prevent any liquid leakage, which would also make it easier to move it from the smoker to the oven for resting, but I guess this somehow is not a good idea (and I don't know why).

For the liquid, you could always mix it in a seperate bowl and add what your spritzer will hold and refill if needed. I sprayed at around the 4 hour mark, then when I wrapped it, and right after I took it out to slice. So, you won't use a whole lot of the spritz, so you could likely cut the amount in half. Slice it fat side up.

The parchment I used was the same width. When you get ready to wrap, make an X with 2 pieces about 3 feet long. Place the brisket in the middle of it, spray with the liquid mixture. Fold one end of the X up and tuck it under the far side of the brisket and repeat the process for the other side of the parchment. Repeat the process with the other pice of the X. Then yes, place in the roasting pan to finish. I put mine on a sheet pan for the very reasons you mentioned. In case it leaked and to make it easier to move. But, you don't have to. You could put it back on the grate wrapped and then put it in the pan when you take it off to hold.

I'm going to try this week end. Please clarify 3 points that I'm seeing opposing thoughts. Do you use granulated garlic in the rub and do you let it sweat for a while or overnight in the fridge? Is the Worcestershire/water mix 50/50 and is it approx 1/4 cup sprayed on at wrap? Yes or no on the pan?

Are you asking This Is Not Your Pork or me?

Back