Insider Tip - Pork Belly Burnt Ends, and a little humble pie...

kcmike

is Blowin Smoke!
So, my buddy came over to the shop the other night asking me for my recommendation(s) for what Oakridge rub to use on some PBBEs he was going to make for the first time over the weekend. So, I gave him a run-down of the usual suspects as my recommendations -- Secret Weapon, Dominator, Comp, and maybe SCL. He took some Comp and Dominator home along with some Black Ops because he just loves Black Ops on pork spare ribs. :roll: :roll: I've always cringed a little when he says how much he loves Black OPS on pork ribs... :shocked: I mean, it couldn't possibly be good, right? It's a BEEF rub for fark's sake.

Well.... he brought me a sample of each finished PBBE Sunday night, right off the pit. The Comp-rubbed one was excellent, so was the Dominator one. But, that Black OPS-rubbed one.... Hoe Lee Chit! -- it blew my farking mind! The deep rich rub flavor paired perfectly with the unctuous fatty PBBEs.

His prep was really easy, just cube them up, spray with PAM cooking spray and dust all sides with rub. He then smoked them with pecan wood at 225º for 5 1/2 hours. No wrap, no foil pan, just naked the entire time.

I'll be doing some of my own this weekend.... with Black OPS.... :becky: :becky:

:thumb: :thumb:

Last edited:
Well I know what I'm using on pork next. :thumb:

Black Ops wasn't my first thought, but I have been pondering trying out one of the more savory Oakridge BBQ options on my next round of ribs, was leaning towards SPOGOS.

Back